New build has horrible landscaping....what to do?

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2021, 09:13 PM
Default New build has horrible landscaping....what to do?

Very disappointed with the whole landscaping experience when planning our new home. The sales person was not knowledgeable about the plants we wanted that we had seen at a local nursery. We finally agreed on a few things and we just saw our new house and closed on it Friday. The plants are tattered, bug eaten and turning brown. One focus plant was turned sideways and the other was horribly shaped. So disgusted...I want them replaced and will contact the company myself first then the villages dept. Has anyone else had this experience? How was it handled?
Old 02-14-2021, 05:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I'd go through The VIllages Warranty Dept. first and get your dissatisfaction on record. Then contact the contractor and have them fix it. We had some issues with landscaping and The Villages was pretty responsive, though it wasn't as big a deal as yours.

The Villages (in my opinion) just sort of throws the landscaping together. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
Very disappointed with the whole landscaping experience when planning our new home. The sales person was not knowledgeable about the plants we wanted that we had seen at a local nursery. We finally agreed on a few things and we just saw our new house and closed on it Friday. The plants are tattered, bug eaten and turning brown. One focus plant was turned sideways and the other was horribly shaped. So disgusted...I want them replaced and will contact the company myself first then the villages dept. Has anyone else had this experience? How was it handled?
We got the standard plants, warranty was 30 days.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
We got the standard plants, warranty was 30 days.
Any landscaping is 30 days custom or standard, you need to get to warranty tomorrow
Old 02-14-2021, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I have very skilled and important advice for you. This is after observing homes here for close to sixteen years and living in two brand new homes.

WATER IT AND WAIT SIX MONTHS.

The developer does know what he is doing. The plants are selected for THIS climate and are hardy, and I have NEVER seen them be anything but healthy when they are planted. The plantings usually follow the rules of design with color placement and size and number. Many people rush to choose their favorites and before long their yard is a mish mash, overgrown and has dying bushes not meant to live HERE.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Pictures please.
Don't contact the "company"... the people in power is warranty. They pay those folks and they want to hear they are doing what they told them to do. They have the biggest stick. But I still say...........water them and wait six months. Is this your first home or your first NEW home here?
Old 02-14-2021, 09:36 PM

Contact TV warrenty within 30 days. Then offer to “water and wait”. Discuss plan with warrenty people so they can hold your case open during the effort to restore the plants to health.

Otherwise, let them get the plants replaced right away.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We closed on our first house by mail 6/1/10 I drove 18 hours straight on 7/4, every plant, bush lawn, except for a tiny palm was dead. Called warranty, said too late, more than the 30, days. Our Rep stopped to drop off a gift. He Looked at the mess, called warranty got someone at our house in 30 minutes. Apparently when planting was done, nobody turned on the sprinklers. At first the guy from warranty said I may have turned the sprinklers off by mistake, when we closed in June. Then backpedaling said all would be replaced, going to make an exception, but 30 days is the max on any bush or plant. True to their word they did replace the lawn all of the bushes and plants. Then they turned on the sprinklers all is well. It was not easy to fix., Because we were past the 30 days. Don’t wait and water to see if they come back you’ll be replacing on your own.

Last edited by thelegges; 02-18-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

And as stated......take photographs and document location and dates taken. I would also record your conversation with Warranty. Trust but verify.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
experience, plants, landscaping, focus, plant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.