Oak Tree removal

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran member

The over 4" diameter oak must be either a hazard or destroying property. We must notify Deed Compliance and they will send out an arborist to testify to the aforementioned conditions.

If it is cut down without their knowledge, I don't know what they do.

If we all cut down our oaks this place would look like Arizona and be just as hot.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I don't understand it myself, but those filthy, hideous things are some kind of sacred cow in these parts.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
They are beautiful trees on golf courses and large common areas. They don't belong on 6,000 sq ft lots that we have here in TV. The oaks we had in the Northeast shed their leaves in the Fall. The oaks here shed all year long. It's impossible to grow a lawn under the as well.
Maybe a few on the newer courses would be nice
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Sage
Default I fully understand your situation....

I will be very interested in what you find out w.r.t. removing. We have a tiny lot with one of these oaks out front. We were pretty naive regarding landscaping in FL when we bought here, assuming the folks that planted the stuff in our new home knew what they were doing. We were wrong in that assumption, this oak tree does not belong in this lot period.

I wish I had done some research when the tree was less than four inches. After 7 years it is already out over the street and our neighbor’s driveway. In the right setting it would be a beautiful tree someday.

Year after year we contemplate what to do. Should we remove? What would we put there? If/when we decide to remove, I will likely not ask for permission for fear of being turned down. Once turned down an oak that contacts a disease and dies might look suspicious .

Good luck and please update with what you learn....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.