Pindo Palms

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Pindo Palms

We had McGowan Landscaping install some landscaping around the back of our house. A nice pindo palm was one of plants installed but it died. McGowan came back and replaced it and the replacement died. They also installed a third pindo and it died. McGowan said that the first batch of pindos were "bad"..it gets interesting. I asked them to come back and remove the dead plant, six weeks later they hadn't done anything so I dug it up. We dug around the area to see if construction debris or anything obvious was there. I even installed a new drainpipe across the back of the house to make sure that excess water wasn't causing the plants to die. Fast forward a few weeks, and my wife visited the Sumter Country Extension Office with a soil sample for testing. The Agent said that there was nothing wrong with the soil but that the first plant must have been infected with some kind of palm disease that rendered that spot no longer suitable for pindo palms..they will never grow there again. So, we are looking at alternatives. I don't bear any ill will toward McGowan but I just found this interesting enough to post for information.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the information about the bad soil. We have a similiar problem in our yard. We had bushes planted by a landscaper an a couple died. They replaced the dead bushes they died again, so we bought some good soil and spread it in the spot and replanted. Well the bushes died again! I will take a soil sample in and have it tested.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig View Post
I don't bear any ill will toward McGowan but I just found this interesting enough to post for information.
Have you let them know, so they can look out for the problem in the future?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

In the interests of fairness and equity, I need to clarify that our soil as it turns out wasn't tested by the Extension Service. I thought it had been. However, the Agent stated that he was certain that the issue was a palm disease that contaminated our soil so there wasn't a need to do a full test on the soil. I am now taking the measures to have the soil actually tested so we can confirm the Agent's hypothesis. That's only fair to everyone concerned, particularly to the Landscaping Firm. They are working with us to understand and resolve the issue. As I stated, I bear no ill will toward the McGowan Firm since I clearly understood that this was a supplier issue (to McGowan) and I am pleased that they are working with us to solve the issue. As evidenced by two replacements for the palm that died, they are working to solve the problem. They need to understand what happened as much as we do. I give them top credit for working to solve the issue. That's the mark of an excellent Company...I will post the final results.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Default Pindo Palms get root rot very easily

Make sure the irrigation in your planting area is not leaking underground.
The larger the Pindo (your wallet), the stronger the palm has had a chance
to grow and retain its strength through the reschock of replanting. Good
luck.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.