Rubber Mulch

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Gold member

Cfrance, thanks for this post. I know there are chemical concerns, but it sounds as if most of the testing was done in the factories which manufacture the mulch. I would think that the closed environment would make the affects much more of a concern.

I can't help but think that once this is put in place and subject to the elements for days, months, years, that the possible health concerns would be minimal. Of course I can't know for sure.

I am looking at the wind and sun outdoors today and it makes me think the off-gassing etc, would dissipate very quickly. Just a guess on my part........
Old 01-24-2015, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Cfrance, thanks for this post. I know there are chemical concerns, but it sounds as if most of the testing was done in the factories which manufacture the mulch. I would think that the closed environment would make the affects much more of a concern.

I can't help but think that once this is put in place and subject to the elements for days, months, years, that the possible health concerns would be minimal. Of course I can't know for sure.

I am looking at the wind and sun outdoors today and it makes me think the off-gassing etc, would dissipate very quickly. Just a guess on my part........
I was thinking of it in terms of whether you have a pet or children that might be playing in it. I saw something on television about children developing cancers whose suspected cause is from playing on it in playgrounds.

Probably neither of those situations would pertain to you, but I thought I'd mention it as an FYI.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Gold member

We want to do a "one and done" approach to mulch. So that means stone/rock or rubber. We hear comments that the stone gets too hot and burns some of the plants in the heat of the summer.

We also like the recycling aspect of using rubber mulch. Lord knows the two of us have left enough of a carbon foot print already! Nice idea to recycle tires in a beautiful, useful way.

We are just just gathering information at this point. All comments are greatly appreciated!! Especially PMs with addresses to see it used in your yards. Keep them coming!

Thank you, Thank you!!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
I was not meaning to say my plants did well "because" of rubber mulch, just stating that in spite of my using it they did well. Sorry you were confused! Again to each their own, weeding is more difficult with rock than mulch which is why I like it better also. In our back area we do not have the concrete curbing just the landscape border most use and still no floating or blowing but again I said that is probably because it is a more sheltered area in the back. There's no right or wrong go with what you personally like.
I understand where Bonanza is coming from with this post. Those of us that love to garden and work in the yard are constantly trying to amend the "sand" we are working with in The Villages. Top soil is expensive and even if you bring it in it needs to be refreshed and rebuilt and and mulch is the only hope for that. Even if you don't bring topsoil in using mulch instead of the other options helps to at least build soil. But if gardening isn't your thing, not to worry, the plants seem to hang in there even under less favorable conditions of rock or rubber mulch.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I understand where Bonanza is coming from with this post. Those of us that love to garden and work in the yard are constantly trying to amend the "sand" we are working with in The Villages. Top soil is expensive and even if you bring it in it needs to be refreshed and rebuilt and and mulch is the only hope for that. Even if you don't bring topsoil in using mulch instead of the other options helps to at least build soil. But if gardening isn't your thing, not to worry, the plants seem to hang in there even under less favorable conditions of rock or rubber mulch.
I truly understand. My husband likes to garden and our garden is nothing elaborate but we have for the most part chosen wisely in what we have planted. Everything is frost/cold hardy. Our gardenias bushes/trees have gotten over 5ft. tall and produce hundreds of blooms several times a year, our rose bushes/dwarf trees also do extremely well. We used minimal topsoil and fertilize very little. I guess perhaps we have been lucky but everything thrives. We wanted to minimize the work and this has worked out great for us. I wish everyone happy gardening!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
I truly understand. My husband likes to garden and our garden is nothing elaborate but we have for the most part chosen wisely in what we have planted. Everything is frost/cold hardy. Our gardenias bushes/trees have gotten over 5ft. tall and produce hundreds of blooms several times a year, our rose bushes/dwarf trees also do extremely well. We used minimal topsoil and fertilize very little. I guess perhaps we have been lucky but everything thrives. We wanted to minimize the work and this has worked out great for us. I wish everyone happy gardening!
Gardenias! Love 'em!! I thought it was too cold here. That's great that yours do so well. I may have to plant some. As a kid, we had gardenias planted outside my bedroom window. Their fragerance was lovely! I'll bet your yard is just beautiful.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Gardenias! Love 'em!! I thought it was too cold here. That's great that yours do so well. I may have to plant some. As a kid, we had gardenias planted outside my bedroom window. Their fragerance was lovely! I'll bet your yard is just beautiful.
Thanks Dottie. Our yard is nothing special but we enjoy it. We bought 3 of the Gardenia plants at a flea market in Sanford years ago and never knew they could grow so big! Then added another we bought at one of the nurseries out here not sure which one though. They all thrive like crazy and are frost hardy. The ones we got in Sanford did exceptionally well and yes they smell awesome!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.