Sand/pebble garden in Buttonwood

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
It is not funny. We are having our lawn totally replaced and it has been spread to kill the roots before they resod the lawn. A neighbor called the VCDD and complained about our dead lawn so the VCDD sent us that letter without checking first with Us. They also said in the letter, if we didn't comply within 7 days, they could replace our sod and bills us for it and fine Us $150.00 noncompliance fee.

Now do you think that is funny???
I thought you were being facetious.

Don't you think that it is great that dead lawns do not go unnoticed?

Somewhere, the unseen powers are protecting us from urban blight but they can't know what happened unless you tell them.

Which I am sure you did, and it is all settled. Much better than just tolerating dead grass all over The Villages.

I wouldn't think I was being picked on if this happened to me...I would just explain.

All's well that ends well.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Where is the lot. My deed says nothing of the kind. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:53 AM

http://pasco.ifas.ufl.edu/ffl/Senate_Bill_2080.shtml

Florida Senate Bill 2080 seems to cover changing the landscaping to "Florida Friendly."
Old 09-24-2011, 09:25 AM

We were told 51% but I haven't seen anything in writing yet. It would be nice to really understand this. Thanks for asking.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

Florida Senate Bill 2080 seems to cover changing the landscaping to "Florida Friendly."[/QUOTE]

Sure makes sense to have a bill where you can landscape and eliminate the waste of water used for watering lawns. Making irrigation a requirement so we can look at pretty grass seems to me to be a waste of a precious resourse. If attractive landscaping can be achieved by using native drought tolorant plants, shrubs, flowers, and rocks....sounds good to me.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
The grass did not die. We just wanted to get rid of the St Aug grass and have Zoysia grass.
....Good call on the Zoysia.....
......WHAT !!!!!!......you DESTROYED a SNAKE HABITAT .......I know of 6 others who have gotten rid of the St. Augustine ...AND...their snake problems were over. ...... A friend of a friend overheard a stranger say that Zoysia could be BEAUTIFUL if it was watered 3 times per week for 18 minutes per station.....WHODAKNEW ......Of course "WE" only water 2 times per week for about 35 minutes per station...
Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post

Florida Senate Bill 2080 seems to cover changing the landscaping to "Florida Friendly."
.................JUNE 30, 2009 was a VERY good day.................
Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post

I don't mind the watering or the lawn-care cost, but I hate the pesticides. I would love to hear what the ARC has to say about Bill 2080 which seems to override local covenants.

I have definitely seen homes (not CYVs) that have totally rocked their front lawns. They are tastefully done and look great. Perhaps if neighbours don't complain, they're OK.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Default Landscaping New Home - Need Advice

Our new home will be ready in October and we can't wait.

We are supposed to talk to the landscaper tomorrow afternoon before they start work to request certain types of plants.

We have a dog and have heard there are certain palm trees and shrubs use around The Villages that are very dangerous to animals.
Does anyone have some advice as to nonpoisonous plants for dogs?

Also, we need suggestions on plants that will grow quickly to provide privacy around the lanai.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have learned a lot on TOTV which has helped us before we move in to our permanent home.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Default I've lived in FL for nearly 40 yrs

and have found the best landscaping to be Florida native grasses, trees, and
shrubs...some, of course, must be trimmed to keep tidy. However, moving
to The Villages from the Boca Raton area I have found a basic lack of these available in local nurseries. Now I ask friends visiting from South Florida to bring me some when they visit!!!!

The Senate did pass the Florida Friendly landscaping plans (xeriscaping for e.g.) and many HOA's in South Florida particularly are having a difficult time accepting these changes with landscaping rules written 30 or so years ago in their documents. However, while we are basically surounded by salt water, we are at risk with water for irrigation. And, if the water for irrigation is dangerous for humans and animals to drink, it isn't something I really want on my lawn...just sayin'. Look at your sprinkler system and see if there is that notation on yours.

The latest issue of the POA bulletin has a list of some of those grasses, and
the local agricultural extension agency can also help in identifying those which are not only beautiful, but encouraged for birds and bees and butterflies. Remember that a grass lawn likes some shade too, that makes all
the difference in how one landscapes and the type of grass and ornamental grasses selected.

Sadly, my cyv is entirely hardscaped along the side and back with a gazillion tons of river rock. I may be tilting the earth and causing global warming. It is a real struggle to bring oxygen back, but I'm working on it with my Florida grasses. Just wish our local nurseries would supply and stock more.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.