7,000 animals?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-25-2015, 02:31 PM
TheVillageChicken's Avatar
TheVillageChicken TheVillageChicken is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If you count shrimp and oysters as fish, I am well ahead of the 4700 fish lifetime average. When I was in college, I ate three goldfish, but I ain't counting them as food.
  #17  
Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Dark chocolate is good....


Humans are naturally plant-eaters

humans are optimized for eating mostly or exclusively plant foods, according to the best evidence: our bodies. We're most similar to other plant-eaters, and drastically different from carnivores and true omnivores.1,2,3 Those who insist that humans are omnivores, especially if their argument is based on canine teeth, would do well to look at what the evidence actually shows.

see here for more on this point
  #18  
Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Why is it that people who are primarily vegans obsess over other people's menu selections? Why don't they just live and let live? Why do they believe it is their religious duty to convert meatatarians

Why is it now that medical experts reversed their thinking concerning saturated fats, meat butter, etc, salt levels, coffee...............? leading to the latest the refrain of "a steak a day keeps the doctor away"?

Why is it that vegans never talk about the fact that meat is a very important source of nutrition and consumption of a little goes a longer way than a vegan diet and is especially essential to older people whose rate of absorption is compromised as they age?

What meat is the most consumed in the world? Goat meat and that has not even been mentioned in this thread.

Seniors biggest challenge is ensuring they are geting proper nutrition (period)
  #19  
Old 03-25-2015, 03:10 PM
KayakerNC's Avatar
KayakerNC KayakerNC is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Why is it that people who are primarily vegans obsess over other people's menu selections? Why don't they just live and let live? Why do they believe it is their religious duty to convert meatatarians

Why is it now that medical experts reversed their thinking concerning saturated fats, meat butter, etc, salt levels, coffee...............? leading to the latest the refrain of "a steak a day keeps the doctor away"?

Why is it that vegans never talk about the fact that meat is a very important source of nutrition and consumption of a little goes a longer way than a vegan diet and is especially essential to older people whose rate of absorption is compromised as they age?

What meat is the most consumed in the world? Goat meat and that has not even been mentioned in this thread.

Seniors biggest challenge is ensuring they are geting proper nutrition (period)
Well said.
__________________
KayakerNC
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
Suffering from TV envy
  #20  
Old 03-25-2015, 03:16 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Why is it that people who are primarily vegans obsess over other people's menu selections?
Who's obsessing, shoot the messenger he's a vegan. I post, your choice to read.

Quote:
Why is it that vegans never talk about the fact that meat is a very important source of nutrition and consumption of a little goes a longer way than a vegan diet and is especially essential to older people whose rate of absorption is compromised as they age?
Meat is not an important source. Where the heck did you get that from?

And goes a longer way????
what goes a longer way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
older people whose rate of absorption is compromised as they age?
Interesting meat is harder to digest than any vegetable
  #21  
Old 03-25-2015, 03:27 PM
TheVillageChicken's Avatar
TheVillageChicken TheVillageChicken is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If we were designed to eat only plant based food, pregnant vegans would not need to take protein, calcium, iron, folic acid, and vitamin B12 supplements in order to have a healthy baby.
  #22  
Old 03-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Shimpy's Avatar
Shimpy Shimpy is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,697
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
One way to think about this is your life expectancy without civilization would be much shorter. So short, on average, that diseases such as heart blockages and cancer never develop in the average person. People are living much longer because of modern medicine - viruses, infections from wounds, and broken bones are no longer fatal, as well as dramatically decreased infant mortality. People are living so long that heart disease and cancer now have a chance to develop.
This is true. We weren't designed to live this long so the human body wasn't designed to last this long. This is why knee and hip replacements are very common. Our joints just weren't designed to last twice what our life expectancy was.
Interesting to think about but since medicine has keep us alive so much longer than nature intended, then why did nature give us a brain good enough to develop advanced medicine to keep us alive this long?
__________________
Les
  #23  
Old 03-25-2015, 03:48 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
If we were designed to eat only plant based food, pregnant vegans would not need to take protein, calcium, iron, folic acid, and vitamin B12 supplements in order to have a healthy baby.
That's correct except for B12, what's your point?
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #24  
Old 03-25-2015, 03:50 PM
regas56's Avatar
regas56 regas56 is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St. Louis Mo. and The Villages Florida
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 27 Posts
Default

There's room on this planet for ALL Gods animals.. Right alongside of my mash taters..
  #25  
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM
TheVillageChicken's Avatar
TheVillageChicken TheVillageChicken is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
That's correct except for B12, what's your point?
My point is that your assertion that we are designed to be only plant eaters was naively conceived and incorrect.
  #26  
Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Arctic Fox's Avatar
Arctic Fox Arctic Fox is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,459
Thanks: 3
Thanked 227 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
humans are optimized for eating mostly or exclusively plant foods, according to the best evidence
the reason humans have large brains is because our distant ancestors ate cooked meat, which provided much more energy than plants or uncooked meat - and the brain uses a lot of energy

while it would clearly take thousands of generations for the brains of modern humans' on a vegan diet to shrink noticeably, I'm glad our forbears stuck with eating meat

maybe those Neanderthals liked veggie-burgers?
  #27  
Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,676
Thanks: 221
Thanked 902 Times in 367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
...Meat is not an important source...
You're kidding, right?!?

I was trying to read what you said with an open mind. But with that statement, all credibility just went bye-bye.
  #28  
Old 03-25-2015, 04:39 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
the reason humans have large brains is because our distant ancestors ate cooked meat, which provided much more energy than plants or uncooked meat - and the brain uses a lot of energy

while it would clearly take thousands of generations for the brains of modern humans' on a vegan diet to shrink noticeably, I'm glad our forbears stuck with eating meat

maybe those Neanderthals liked veggie-burgers?
Old myth, look at primates, do they have large brains?
they never eat meat.

If you think meat has more energy you are mis taken on that point as well certain plants have more protein than steak
  #29  
Old 03-25-2015, 04:47 PM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You're kidding, right?!?

I was trying to read what you said with an open mind. But with that statement, all credibility just went bye-bye.
Not kidding at all, it is not needed in our diet at all.

Vegetarians and vegans have longer lifespans by 10 & 15 years respectfully.

We haven't had red meat in over 20 years, no other types in over 5 years.

We take no meds. When we go the Village heath care we are told by our Dr we are the only patients out of his almost 1200 that have no scripts for meds

It's not the sunshine!
  #30  
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM
TheVillageChicken's Avatar
TheVillageChicken TheVillageChicken is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 1,303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Not kidding at all, it is not needed in our diet at all.

Vegetarians and vegans have longer lifespans by 10 & 15 years respectfully.

We haven't had red meat in over 20 years, no other types in over 5 years.

We take no meds. When we go the Village heath care we are told by our Dr we are the only patients out of his almost 1200 that have no scripts for meds

It's not the sunshine!
I have eaten red meat all my life and at 70, have zero prescriptions, and all my indicators are excellent, but unlike you, I realize that anecdotes don't advance argument. You know, the sad thing about cultural stereotypes is that they are better than 80% accurate, and the one about arrogant vegans is no different.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.