Agent Orange Disability Benefits Expanded

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts
Default Agent Orange Disability Benefits Expanded

I read this information in a publication that I subscribe to, Kiplinger's Retirement Report. It is not set up for linking online or I would just do that for the entire article. But I wanted to get this information out here on TOTV in case there is someone who needs to know about it, but has not heard. The information is from the November 2009 issue, an article titled “Government Expands Agent Orange Benefits.”

The article says that the Department of Veterans Affairs has announced that it will add several medical conditions to the list of those presumed to have been caused by Agent Orange. The article states, “To simplify the process for claiming disability compensation, the VA has designated 15 diseases presumed to have been caused by Agent Orange. The list includes prostate cancer, Type II diabetes, respiratory cancers, Hodgkin’s disease, and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The new diseases the VA is adding to the list are Parkinson’s, B cell leukemias, and ischemic heart disease.”

The article goes on to say, “If you have a disease on the presumptive-disability list, you do not have to prove that the illness is associated with your service. You will need to provide a medical diagnosis and evidence of service in Vietnam. Secondary conditions from the disease or its treatment can also qualify for compensation.” It also says that the monthly disability payment is determined by a rating based on the severity of the disability.

The number given in the article for the Agent Orange Helpline is 800-749-8387, and you can go to www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange. You can contact your regional VA office through 800-827-1000.

It says that the claims process takes about 160 days. A denied claim can be appealed in a process that can take two to five years, or even longer, according to a statement from David Houppert who is the director of veterans benefits for Vietnam Veterans of America.

Many veterans’ service organizations offer free help to file a claim You can download a copy of the VVA self-help guide to filing a claim at www.vva.org.

Well, that pretty well sums up the information that I read. Like I said, I wish I could have linked the entire article, but that did not work. And I know that veterans who might have been affected probably already know this stuff. But, just in case, I wanted to put the information out there.

And thank you to all veterans for your service to our country.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-18-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: a typo
Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 AM

I was was diognost with multima myaloma in Jan-09 it took 9 months and a lot of paper work ,now my wife and I sold our house and are on our way to the TV mostly because of the VA they are the best-not going to miss Long Island again[/LEFT]
Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.