B-12 Supplements...tablets vs injections

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2023, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

I am a cancer survivor and my oncologist has me on monthly B12 injections administered intramuscularly. While B12 deficiency can be addressed using oral administration, it can be ineffective in patients that have absorption issues that take place in the gut. B12 deficiency can cause many problems besides fatigue. It also affects neurologic functions including neuropathy. I’ll continue with the injections. They are painless and take just a small part of my month to administer.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
30 years ago I was diagnosed with neuropathy. My B-12 level was low normal.My doctor said she likes her neuropathy patients in the high-normal range and she prescribed monthly B-12 injections.
I first had them done in her office but for convenience sake I learned to give them to myself.
At times I tried oral sublingual, but it was too time consuming . I skipped days. Tablets were not as effective for me. I always went back to injections.
As a side note, I do notice lower energy and too many naps, when it’s the end of the month. I do have more energy when my B-12 level is in the correct range. I’ve stuck with them for 30 years because they are effective and do make a difference.
I’ve had nurse-friends or my husband administer the shots. Now I do it. It doesn’t have to be done in the doctors office.
You said that your sister is not ready to ask the doctor to switch. I would leave it at that. She is happy with her current situation. Maybe IM ( intermuscluar) injections are the treatment of choice for her medical condition. This is a decision best made between your sister and her doctor.
Monthly B12 injections were prescribed by my oncologist because of my deficiency, likely due to my treatments. As a bonus I found that the neuropathy in my legs and feet was not nearly as bad. As the time approaches for me to go for another, the nerve zaps begin to return. For that reason alone I will continue to get the injections.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
Is it possible for any of the vaccines components (ie. mRNA) to be transmitted from a blood transfusion ?
I read that it remains in the body longer than planned. Thanks for any answers.
I think you are trying to start another anti-vaccine argument.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I think you are trying to start another anti-vaccine argument.
OR... I am a stage 3 cancr survivor who gets infusions &/o transfusions every other month and would like to know.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
OR... I am a stage 3 cancr survivor who gets infusions &/o transfusions every other month and would like to know.
Actually, you posed a very interesting question. I don't know definitively, but my guesstimate would be as follows:

The original mRNA in the vaccine disappears after a few hours, so it is no longer present. The antibodies against the virus should be present, otherwise there's no point in the vaccine. However, those antibodies are present in the blood plasma component---transfusions are packed red cells that do not contain any significant amount of plasma/serum, so my answer is no.

Now a question in return----what does it matter if you received any mRNA or anti-COVID antibodies in a transfusion?????
Old 03-16-2023, 08:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, you posed a very interesting question. I don't know definitively, but my guesstimate would be as follows:

The original mRNA in the vaccine disappears after a few hours, so it is no longer present. The antibodies against the virus should be present, otherwise there's no point in the vaccine. However, those antibodies are present in the blood plasma component---transfusions are packed red cells that do not contain any significant amount of plasma/serum, so my answer is no.

Now a question in return----what does it matter if you received any mRNA or anti-COVID antibodies in a transfusion?????
Thank you for the response. The reason I ask; After discussions with my oncologist and hematologist I decided not to get the vaccine. We had plans and orders set should I have gotten covid. For whatever reason (i have no way to know why) I never got covid. I do not want to get political, so all I will say is that for now I want to remain unvaccinated with the mrna. I have an appointment (seems every week I have appointments) with the blood doctor from FCS Tuesday, and want to discuss the other type of vaccine (not MRNA). At the same time I will be discussing the blood transfusions (ie my original question). IF I get to see the actual hematologist, and not a PA or aide, I would like to come to the appointment with as much knowledge as possible. Googleing it does not come up with much info.. I would love to have the luxury of having a detailed discussion with my doctor, but that is rare. Thank you again for the response.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you for the response. The reason I ask; After discussions with my oncologist and hematologist I decided not to get the vaccine. We had plans and orders set should I have gotten covid. For whatever reason (i have no way to know why) I never got covid. I do not want to get political, so all I will say is that for now I want to remain unvaccinated with the mrna. I have an appointment (seems every week I have appointments) with the blood doctor from FCS Tuesday, and want to discuss the other type of vaccine (not MRNA). At the same time I will be discussing the blood transfusions (ie my original question). IF I get to see the actual hematologist, and not a PA or aide, I would like to come to the appointment with as much knowledge as possible. Googleing it does not come up with much info.. I would love to have the luxury of having a detailed discussion with my doctor, but that is rare. Thank you again for the response.
Very hard to speculate on a social media site, but I'd guess if your oncologist was reluctant to let you have the mRNA vaccine (which is not an unreasonable decision), then he should be ten times as reluctant to give you a traditional vaccine, especially anything that is a live attenuated strain, since you are immunocompromised by definition.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Very hard to speculate on a social media site, but I'd guess if your oncologist was reluctant to let you have the mRNA vaccine (which is not an unreasonable decision), then he should be ten times as reluctant to give you a traditional vaccine, especially anything that is a live attenuated strain, since you are immunocompromised by definition.
Thank You. I get different suggestions from my doctors. My cardiologist suggests I get the vaccine. The doctor that removed a lobe, Pulmonologist, will not discuss it. He hands out a paper from the NIH, and then will not discuss it. As I mentioned earlier my blood doctor and oncologist advise me not to. (I am immunocompromised as you mentioned, and have bleeding issues as well). I am OK and will be OK. Thank you for the info.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thank You. I get different suggestions from my doctors. My cardiologist suggests I get the vaccine. The doctor that removed a lobe, Pulmonologist, will not discuss it. He hands out a paper from the NIH, and then will not discuss it. As I mentioned earlier my blood doctor and oncologist advise me not to. (I am immunocompromised as you mentioned, and have bleeding issues as well). I am OK and will be OK. Thank you for the info.
Best wishes for continued improvement
Old 03-16-2023, 11:08 AM

If you have been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, work with your doctor.

Everyone is different. What I have found is the injections and sublingual B12 does not get absorbed well for me. What works for me is Mary Ruth's Methyl B12 Liquid spray and NanoNutriTopicals Daily Energy B12 patch. Just something to consider.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

Jumping in on the cancer and wisdom of mRNA Covid vaccines. As you likely recall when the vaccine was first available you had to be in a high risk category to get it. Cancer qualified you. Doctors while trained in science are not immune to political forces. You have at least two doctors who tell you to get the vaccine, one who is so tired I would speculate of arguing with patients about Covid that they have resorted to just giving the NIH handout (?CDC handout).

I found not a single reliable online recommendation to not receive the vaccine. Everything I read said that those actively being treated as well as those on long term treatment and those in remission all should be vaccinated. Some situations such as high dose steroids made it likely the vaccine would be less protective than in a non-cancer patient.

No one said don't get it. You have survived as the more lethal forms of Covid seem to have left circulation and those continuing to be here are less likely to hospitalize or kill. Like most people who drive drunk, don't wear seat belts, and run stop signs, survival is not evidence of having made good choices.

Mayo Clinic Here
Cleveland Clinic Here
MD Anderson Here

Now ask that oncologist who said no, what is the reason, supported by the literature and expert opinion that lead that oncologist to tell you no and to continue to tell you no. Your originally posted question about whether you were at risk if mRNA was in a transfusion suggests to me that you have been getting really bad information about mRNA vaccines.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
If you have been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, work with your doctor.

Everyone is different. What I have found is the injections and sublingual B12 does not get absorbed well for me. What works for me is Mary Ruth's Methyl B12 Liquid spray and NanoNutriTopicals Daily Energy B12 patch. Just something to consider.
Another considered and rejected. Injections do not get absorbed for you??? Hmmmm.....
Also , everyone is different? To a point, yes, but medical physiology is medical physiology.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Jumping in on the cancer and wisdom of mRNA Covid vaccines. As you likely recall when the vaccine was first available you had to be in a high risk category to get it. Cancer qualified you. Doctors while trained in science are not immune to political forces. You have at least two doctors who tell you to get the vaccine, one who is so tired I would speculate of arguing with patients about Covid that they have resorted to just giving the NIH handout (?CDC handout).

I found not a single reliable online recommendation to not receive the vaccine. Everything I read said that those actively being treated as well as those on long term treatment and those in remission all should be vaccinated. Some situations such as high dose steroids made it likely the vaccine would be less protective than in a non-cancer patient.

No one said don't get it. You have survived as the more lethal forms of Covid seem to have left circulation and those continuing to be here are less likely to hospitalize or kill. Like most people who drive drunk, don't wear seat belts, and run stop signs, survival is not evidence of having made good choices.

Mayo Clinic Here
Cleveland Clinic Here
MD Anderson Here

Now ask that oncologist who said no, what is the reason, supported by the literature and expert opinion that lead that oncologist to tell you no and to continue to tell you no. Your originally posted question about whether you were at risk if mRNA was in a transfusion suggests to me that you have been getting really bad information about mRNA vaccines.
Agree again. Which is why I was wondering what the problem would be if some mRNA was received with a transfusion (Clearly a highly unlikely event)
Old 03-16-2023, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
I was not to know that, but given the propensity for posters (myself included) to divert threads, I assumed , wrongly, that was the reason for your post.
Good luck with your remission, and I wish you well.
Closed Thread

Tags
b-12, tablets, injections, issue, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.