Belly Fat Hikes Heart, Cancer Risks

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Sage

We were at Brownwood the other day and a guy walked by the outside of City Fire where we were eating. Well, I want to tell you he had no visible pot belly at all. You can imagine how weird that looked with his grey hair. I hope it was not because he had been sick.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

If you want to see what exercise can do for you - go and watch the Dragon Boat crews work out one day - not a pot belly in the lot either men or women!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

This is nothing new. REsearchers such as Robert Atkins and Arthur Agatston, published studies showing the link between subcutaneous belly fat and heart disease as far back at twenty years ago.

They also know that it's primarily excess sugar that causes belly fat. I hate to say it, but the maltose in beer is the worst kind of sugar. Hence the name beer belly.

Excess sugar comes from many of the foods we eat, not just sugary treats. And it's not just the quantity of sugar that is the problem. It is how fast the sugar is absorbed into our system that cause excess insulin to be secreted. When the sugar is introduced into our blood very quickly, the insulin scoops up more sugar then is actually needs to and converts it over to fat to be stored and used later. That is why we often have a temporary high and then a big crash after eating a candy bar.

This was discussed in a book called "The Sugar Blues" that was publish over thirty years ago.

Much more research has been done since that book and a table of glycemic index has been introduced. This puts a number on all foods that quantifies how quickly sugar is absorbs by the system and introduced into the blood stream.

There is no question that exercise is important along with eating the right kinds of fats and limiting certain kinds of foods.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Just want to say I appreciate Jimbo and Villages PL, along with some others, sharing their knowledge and personal views on health and nutrition. I agree with most everything they share and realize they are not doctors or have not personally experienced every symptom, or disease, discussed. One does not have to have first hand experience with a condition to understand the basics of how it happens. There are tons of articles, documentaries, books, websites, you name it, touting the benefits of a healthy diet and warning of the "POSSIBLE" side effects of an unhealthy diet or lifestyle. I read a lot on the subject, and I don't ever recall reading a definitive statement that, "IF YOU DO THIS, YOU WILL GET THIS DISEASE". Some of the effects are more probable than possible, some more possible than probable.

We all know someone who smoked a pack, or more, a day and lived to be over 90...right? Thank God we know better now than to use that person as our role model.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

Restricting calories and a fixation on depriving oneself on a daily basis is not normal.
Online definition of normal: Conforming with, adhering to, or constituting a norm, standard pattern, level, or type;......

I know you meant it as an insult, but I take it as a complement. I have never claimed to be "normal" nor is it my goal to be normal. Normal, when it comes to health and nutrition, is what I try to avoid.

The phrase, "depriving oneself", is a common projection you get from people who are addicted to processed foods. In other words, when addicted people try to eat healthy, they feel deprived so they assume that everyone else will feel the same.

Last edited by Villages PL; 08-03-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Email Reported As Spam

So with my luck I'll go vagan and end up dead because my tofu was tainted.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
We were at Brownwood the other day and a guy walked by the outside of City Fire where we were eating. Well, I want to tell you he had no visible pot belly at all. You can imagine how weird that looked with his grey hair. I hope it was not because he had been sick.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Good observation. I don't doubt that it does look weird to a lot of people. Even I am taken aback when I see an older man with no pot-belly stomach. You get the double-take reaction. But there's a logical reason behind it: Our expectations have changed. Being overweight, or out of shape, has become the "new normal", as sixtythree percent of people in the U.S. are overweight. One does not have to be overweight to have a pot-belly, but, generally, it's not a good sign.

On these boards people can be deceptive about their weight and/or eating habits but in person their body tells the truth. :-)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

When I get up in the morning my belly pretty flat, but after breakfast, lunch, liquid (not beer) intake, and supper My belly swells. At 5"11 1/2" tall and 190 I don't consider myself over 10 or 15 lbs. over weight. I am very active at work and exercise 4 to 5 times week tennis 4.o to 4.5 level. I do know this diet without exercise you loose a lot of muscle and most likely will gain more weight back with less muscle. Which IMO makes it worse if you hadn't dieted and just tried to exercise more. At my age running is too hard on joints and back. I feel that running does more harm that good for me. A good brisk walk 2 to 3 miles IMO is much better for me along with stretch and strength routine.

With all that I still can't get below 185 without dropping bread, soda, and sugar treats, Muffins, donuts ect... between meals and if I do one weekend splurge adds 4 or 5 pounds that takes weeks to get back off.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.