Do you have Asperger Syndrome (AS) or know someone who does?

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Sage
Default Do you have Asperger Syndrome (AS) or know someone who does?

I think this is a difficult subject because it's likely that no two people with AS are the same. What should you do if you suspect you have a friend with this condition?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I think this is a difficult subject because it's likely that no two people with AS are the same. What should you do if you suspect you have a friend with this condition?
NOTHING.

What would you do if they were farsighted or had arthritis?

No two people that have a vision problem or arthritis are the same either..

What are you getting at?

Do you know what Asbergers Syndrome is? It is not dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbergers_syndrome
Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
NOTHING.

What would you do if they were farsighted or had arthritis?

No two people that have a vision problem or arthritis are the same either..

What are you getting at?

Do you know what Asbergers Syndrome is? It is not dangerous.
I see my question was not complete and therefore misleading. I should have asked, "what would you do if you like this person but find the relationship increasingly difficult?"
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I see my question was not complete and therefore misleading. I should have asked, "what would you do if you like this person but find the relationship increasingly difficult?"

I am sorry that I got all defensive. I was highly involved when I worked with kids affected with different challenges of this sort and well, it is close to my heart.

They are people just like all of us and some people are more intuitive and some are not able to pick up clues from others tone of voice or mannerisms.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Sage

I know a handful of folks who have children of varying ages who have this diagnosis. I've met one adult here in T.V. who said they have it. I would say that it was difficult to form a lasting relationship with that person. They seem aloof for the most part. I would say "hold your friendship in the palm of your hand. Don't put unspoken expectations on the relationship and you should be fine". We all have something that we're made up of. May it be as Gracie said...arthritis, diabetes or whatever.
You didn't specify exactly what was difficult about this person so it's equally as difficult to know how to respond.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I know a handful of folks who have children of varying ages who have this diagnosis. I've met one adult here in T.V. who said they have it. I would say that it was difficult to form a lasting relationship with that person. They seem aloof for the most part. I would say "hold your friendship in the palm of your hand. Don't put unspoken expectations on the relationship and you should be fine". We all have something that we're made up of. May it be as Gracie said...arthritis, diabetes or whatever.
You didn't specify exactly what was difficult about this person so it's equally as difficult to know how to respond.
This person is highly intelligent, has an advanced degree, but has trouble carrying on a conversation. It's more like a non-stop monologue with no regard for the other person's input. It's sort of like stream-of-consciousness where the topic changes frequently. Sometimes the subject changes and I'm not aware of it and I have no idea what it is. And I can't interupt even if I try....it just keeps rolling along...non-stop.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

You sure this person has Asperger's? Talking on and on about one subject is an Aspie trait. Changing the subject and continuing on and on is usually not.

I've been Dx'd an Aspie (on the low side of the spectrum and high-functioning). Gracie doesn't think I am one -- just too smart for my britches. lol It took me 5 years of intensive therapy to get where I am today -- still don't get when I irritate someone else, still can't read a face to save my life.

I either like you or I don't. Not much in between. If I like you, I want input to keep you as a friend. So, would want to hear what I am doing to irritate you and I will truly try to not do that any longer around you. If I don't particularly like you, I'm not going to care what you want and continue on my merry way.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Remember that the non-verbal clues you are sending are not being reliably received. Tone of voice, body language, facial expressions and sarcasm may be missed. Phrases like "He's hot" may be misunderstood to designate a febrile gentleman. The range of disablility is wide and the diagnosis is trendy right now. Yes, it is a diagnosis in ICD-9 299.80 and in DSM there are the diagnostic requirements:

The following is from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM IV
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

Interestingly, and with much controversy, the diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome will be eliminated in the next version of the DSM and it will instead be rolled into a widened definition of Autism Spectrum Disorder. No one expects the term to be abandoned as it is useful to communicate a set of characteristics which are different than those with more severe autistic impairment. This really is more about insurance and billing than about care, research, and education. Each person, whether "on the spectrum" or not has strengths and weaknesses. If you find that you are at a point in your life where the behaviors of your friend are causing you to wish to lessen your involvement I think that is what you do. If you wish to explain your choice to your friend try to be clear in your word choices as being subtle won't work as well if she really has Asperger's.
If your objection is really to the non-stop science lectures and changes of subject where you can't interrupt even if you try... You may be too polite. You may need to be very direct as "It is now my turn to talk and yours to listen"
Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Asperger Syndrome is no longer being used as a label. I have done extensive work with childen with autism and am very close to a child who has been labeled with Asperger's. There is a wide range of characteristics for people who have this label and what the behaviors are is not so important as the fact that acceptance of social awkwardness, or missed cues, or whatever the person presents with should just be accepted for who they are so they do not feel alienated or treated differently. Just like we all want to feel with our own idiosyncracies. Loved, accepted, a part of a group of friends, included, and important in the context of life and the world.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Asperger Syndrome is no longer being used as a label. I have done extensive work with childen with autism and am very close to a child who has been labeled with Asperger's. There is a wide range of characteristics for people who have this label and what the behaviors are is not so important as the fact that acceptance of social awkwardness, or missed cues, or whatever the person presents with should just be accepted for who they are so they do not feel alienated or treated differently. Just like we all want to feel with our own idiosyncracies. Loved, accepted, a part of a group of friends, included, and important in the context of life and the world.
I agree with the gist of your post but wish to gently disagree with your belief that the term Asperger's is no longer being used. This month's Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine includes articles:
Howard C. Shane (from Boston Children's Hospital)

Appreciating Asperger syndrome: Implications for better care and outcomes
Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine 2012; 79(12):872-874; doi:10.3949/ccjm.79a.12153

and

BRIGID PRAYSON and
KATHLEEN FRANCO

Is an adult with Asperger syndrome sitting in your waiting room?
Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine 2012; 79(12):875-882; doi:10.3949/ccjm.79a.11161

Both these articles are free online.
A pubmed search for 2012 results in 130 scholarly publications with the key word Asperger's
Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Why the diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome will disappear | Autism Support Network
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
You sure this person has Asperger's?
Well, no, I started this thread to see if it might be Asperger's because that's what I have been thinking, on and off, for quite some time.

Quote:
Talking on and on about one subject is an Aspie trait. Changing the subject and continuing on and on is usually not.
Usually, the subject changes from one person to another but in general the talk consists of a run down of everyday experiences accumulated since the last time we got together.

Quote:
I've been Dx'd an Aspie (on the low side of the spectrum and high-functioning). Gracie doesn't think I am one -- just too smart for my britches. lol It took me 5 years of intensive therapy to get where I am today -- still don't get when I irritate someone else, still can't read a face to save my life.

I either like you or I don't. Not much in between. If I like you, I want input to keep you as a friend. So, would want to hear what I am doing to irritate you and I will truly try to not do that any longer around you. If I don't particularly like you, I'm not going to care what you want and continue on my merry way.
I appreciate your honesty and I wish I could talk to my friend about what's going on but I doubt it would be welcomed. (She has a very high opinion of herself.) If it is Asperger's, it may be that she has no clue about it and would just be insulted if I brought up the possibility. The other possibility is that she knows about it but thinks she's doing a good job of covering it up.

Note: In retrospect, I doubt that I could even bring up the subject because there's just no room for it. She frequently finishes my sentences for me. So it would be impossible to be subtle about it. If I couldn't suggest it quickly in 6 words or less, she would jump in and take over and then eventually change the subject. This happens frequently.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Doesn't sound like an Aspie to me. I'll admit that if you ask me, I'll tell you all about my day, week, month, year. Don't ask me how I'm feeling -- I'll tell you in great detail if I have the chance. Believe it or not, I do it because I'm being polite. If you didn't want to know, you wouldn't ask. The big problem is I don't know how to stop unless you tell me to (and I won't be offended if you say that's enough of that subject). I won't get you trying to change the subject. Subtlety really doesn't work.

At the same time, I won't ask you how you are because I figure if you want to tell me, you will. It's not that I don't care, it's that (1) I just don't think to ask and (2) I don't want to invade your privacy.

Your friend doesn't sound like she has these type of issues to me. She sounds like the world revolves around her and no one else truly matters. Aspies are guilty of thinking the world revolves around them but we just don't take offense when you remind us there are other people in the world.

So, why do you do anything with this woman? She doesn't sound like a friend. She doesn't sound like she's a lot of fun to be around. She doesn't sound like someone most of us would want to know. Think I'd just walk away and let her talk to air.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Sage
Default A drop of this syndrome, disorder, strange thing...

Most of us have a little tad of paranoia, a drop of OCD, a bit of claustraphobia, or fear of heights ,dogs, old age, cancer, maybe a tiny touch of excess worry, a thimble full of superstition and a lot of things that if they were full blown would constitute mental illness.

It hopefully makes us a bit more compassionate of people not so lucky.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Most of us have a little tad of paranoia, a drop of OCD, a bit of claustraphobia, or fear of heights ,dogs, old age, cancer, maybe a tiny touch of excess worry, a thimble full of superstition and a lot of things that if they were full blown would constitute mental illness.

It hopefully makes us a bit more compassionate of people not so lucky.
Well said. You have an excellent grasp on life, and what's really important -- I wish your philosophy was contagious.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.