Do you like Medicare?

Do you like Medicare?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 07-31-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage

Medicare + supplement has taken care of 100% of our medical needs over the years.

Complaints? None of significance!!

Old 07-31-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage

On a regular basis there seems to be a push for a voucher system. That should be a major oncern.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Location: Buffalo,Erie,Lynn,Hickory,Louisville,Charleston,Schenectady,Marblehead MA, TV Caroline

I was far better off with company paid insurance which covered drugs, dental, hospital, doctors, services and vision, with essentially no deductible. My costs were essentially $2000 /year for myself and wife. My Medicare, Supplement, Drug, and Dental plan monthly costs are $350/Month making our annual enrollment cost for myself and wife $8400. This could be reduced by using Medicare Advantage but there are personal choices being made. Additional expenses are also incurred due to deductibles and limits.

But what is Medicare? And what are the costs?

First there is Med Part A (Simply stated), it is hospital insurance. It requires a 10 year pay in to qualify. If not qualified, it costs about $437/Month. I qualify. There is a $1364 deductible for inpatient service each benefit period. It is limited Co-insurance $0 patient cost first 60 days, patient costs exceeding $341 Days 61 to 90. Skilled Nursing $0 patient costs first 20 Days. Patient costs exceeding $170/day for days 21 to 100. With some exceptions, you get to pay the rest.

Next is Med Part B (Simply Stated), it is medical expenses outside of hospital but for the most part excluding Drugs, Vision, and Dental. If qualified the Premium is about $135 per month (Income dependent). There is an annual $185 deductible and coverage is about 80% (ACA took a small part away). Only stated services covered and services limited to facilities accepting Medicare established rate.

Part B costs not covered by Medicare can be covered by a separately purchased Supplement or Medicare Advantage program. Medicare Advantage programs vary and likely limit services to a specific network of providers. Medicare Advantage programs must provide the same services that the original Medicare covers but generally more Supplements pay portions of costs not covered by Medicare Part A and B. A good supplement will cost around $150/month.

Drug plans are too complicated to Simplify as are Dental Plans
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Medicare + supplement has taken care of 100% of our medical needs over the years.

Complaints? None of significance!!
Agree .... Medicare and AARP J Plan serves us very well. Never see a bill, but it does not come cheap! I guess it depends what you want to pay for in life. If you are a young retiree you probably would not want to spend the money on this type of plan, if you are an older retiree you really really need it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 AM
Gold member

I have Care Plus Medicare Advantage and I love it. I never pay anything for a primary care doctor visit, and drug costs are reasonable for me, but I don't take any daily medicines, so I can't speak for chronic care medications. But my doctor told me that as long as I'm healthy, it's a good deal for me. Once you are sick and want to investigate alternative care options, you'll find that the Medicare Advantage programs will restrict you, as they are HMO's or PPO's and you can only use approved providers. I'm not saying you won't get good care, but for instance, if you learn of a promising treatment provided at University Hospital Shands in Gainesville, you'll likely find they won't cover it.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM

Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

The gentleman that said many regional hospitals would close if the medicare for all proposal went into effect was correct. The medicare reimbursements do not cover the cost of operations for most hospitals. They rely on what is known as "private pay", or payment from many corporate plans.
So, "free" healthcare is, of course, a misnomer. While working, one pays 1.45% of gross wages into the medicare plan .. That is without an income limit. That is separate from the 6.2% everyone pays into social security for wages up to $ 132,000 / year. If a person reaches age 65 and is still earning a handsome amount of money (perhaps through smart investments), and they want tobe covered by mediacre, which is their right, they will be further taxed, as commented above, by up to $ 500 / month for medicare and Part D (drug) coverage.

It is folly to think that a secondary system would not be developed for private pay.. with doctors and other medical personnel giving preference to those that buy into a more expensive system. The waiting lines for people needing serious care and having only "base" medicare would grow, and the law of unintended consequences would once again prevail. There would be little incentives for bright well meaning young people to pursue a medical career, because, of course, their current salaries would be looked at as outrageous, even though they devoted ten or more years after college to pursue a specialty and their passion. Oh, and if they came from a family of means, they would be addled with enormous medical school debt, while their poorer classmates got a free ride.

Those greedy drug companies ?? Why spend research and development money on a cure for cancer ? Maybe they shouldn;t have developed Lipitor, which has helped many Villagers lead a longer life .. Or a number of other specialty drugs .. The law of Unintended Consequences is very nasty .. and remember the Free Lunch Theorem .. There is no such thing as a FREE lunch
Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Do we like Medicare...no. For us, our employer plan was better. I guess the problem is that not everyone has a good employer plan. I really doubt Medicare for all will be better for all.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 AM

My last employer (after changing ins. cos every year) finally cancelled everyone's healthcare and decided to give everyone a couple of hundred dollars a month. Luckily I had just turned 65 and went on Medicare. Those in their 30's did well. Those in 40's bought terrible insurance that had extremely high deductibles and those in 50's and older were left unable to buy affordable healthcare. Those that are happy with current in., might lose it at any time.
Medicare Advantage has been excellent for me, no procedure has ever been denied. Obamacare worked for my wife when she retired early, would still be working if not for Obamacare.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:29 AM

Medicare for "all" would be a disaster....The Govt cant run anything....example post office, social security...medicare...and they want to put everyone on medicare???...I dont think so!!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:32 AM
Sage

I understand the fortunate people who had great benefits not liking Medicare. I am happy for them but so very jealous that during their working career they had the advantage over others because of a benevolent employer or collective bargaining or whatever reason extended them one of the main concerns the head of a family has for his family, decent medical coverage.

At the beginning of my career once I unloaded my own company because good benefits were killing me. I wanted badly to take care of those who gave their work-life up for me. In the middle of my career, I worked for the most honorable man that gave us benefits that were fit for a king. I will always be grateful to that man. We had some rough years medically speaking and his great coverage saved us. At the end of my career, we paid about $250 a week and had limitations that were unbelievable. My wife one son and myself were covered and the office visits covered for the year was capped at 10 visits. The deductibles were sky-high, it wasn't good.

The Villages Medicare Advantage is Heaven On Earth for us. I am grateful beyond words for the security it provides.

Whatever the candidates are speaking of at this early point in the election game is a big zero for me. They will change many times from now until the election. I think its the last 30 days before the election are the days that count the most.

I'm not for giving anything free to anyone.

Tags
medicare, healthcare, company, prescription, vision