Hearing Aids

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Default Hearing Aids

Well I am finally going to give in and get a pair of hearing aids. I have tried them before and turned them back because I hated them so much. But I guess I've reached the point that I really do need them. Does anyone have any recommendations on hearing aid companies around TV's?
Thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Hearing Aids

Don't remember the name but there is an excellent place in TV.. Wife will be in TV later today. I will forward info to you. I also where them reluctantly. Just got a new pair and I love them.. I'm PM you when I get the info :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Eternal Member

I got mine at Lake County Hearing Clinic. It is in La Plaza Grande to the right of Publix if you are facing it from the parking lot. Free Audio test and no obligation to buy if you don't like then with the 30 day test period. I have a major hearing loss and they were able to fit me perfectly. They have many types of hearing aids so they will be able to fit you. Their ad is in the Daily Sun. Just call for an appointment.

They have done wonders for me - when I wear them. I usually don't wear them around the house and never on the golf course - the wind causes more problems than having to say huh a couple of times.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if Medicare will pay. I will be 65 in November so I may wait if they do.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Eternal Member

I think they asked if I was on Medicare. There is also a VA discount. Call them and ask.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:52 PM

Thank you again. This a great site
Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 PM

You might want to try Lake regional Hearing Center. 352/750-0433 They have been in the area for 20+ years and have a branch office in the shopping center over by Lowes Lumber. They are between the Cingular store and Firehouse subs.

I had inner ear aids for years that drove me nuts. Sounded like I was in a drum. Paul Campoamor had me try the above the ear. What a difference. I have to remind myself to remove them when I shower or go to bed. The price was 40% less than other Hearing centers in the area.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Gold member

I am not in TV yet but had to get a hearing aid a year ago. My doctor recommended the digital hearing aid that is worn over the year. It does work very good for my type of loss and it is programmable via computer to my hearing test. I still have some problems understanding words which is part of my loss but I definitely can see the difference with out my hearing aid in. Good Luck.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 02-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Gold member

Pick an audiologist you feel comfortable and make sure the hearing aids are comfortable and that they work. If not, make the hearing aid center adjust them, replace them or whatever it takes to make you happy.
I've worn hearing aids for many years and have had good ones and bad ones. My present hearing aids are Completely In The Ear (CIC) digital hearing aids made by Starkey. They are, by far, the best that I've ever had. They're expensive but worth it. They greatly reduce background noise, a major complaint of hearing aid users and are excellent for use on the phone.
The wind noise one person commented on is not an issue with the CIC aids since they fit far inside the ear. Feedback is pretty much eliminated too.
I've had every type of aid from the behind the ear models to in the ear, in the canal and my present cic aids and these are, to me the best.
When I first started using hearing aids, over 20 years ago, my hearing was too poor to use the newer at the time, all in the ear units. My hearing hasn't improved but the hearing aid technology has improved in leaps and bounds. Now, the tiny hearing aids are much more powerful than the old, large units.
The new digital aids are customed tuned to your particular hearing loss and many adjustments are done by the audiologist, just for you. They have a built in memory so he or she can hook up your hearing aid to a computer and see how much you use it and even tell the environment in which you listen most, such as windy situation, music nand many others.
Don't delay. Get hearing aids and if necessary, make a pest of yourself. Don't be embarrassed about going back as often as necessary to get them right for you.
If they're fitted correctly you won't even know you're wearing them.
Good luck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.