Masks Help Stop the Spread of Coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
You bring up extremely valid points. I'm the first one to say I'm very disappointed in our current administration and the experts who told us all not to wear masks unless we were sick or caring for someone who was sick with Covid. That was wrong on every level and they have since come "clean" with their reasons for being deceitful to the American people. I don't buy their excuses, AT ALL.

Once we got the recommendation from the experts and the CDC that wearing masks can help slow the spread of this dreadful virus, the American people sprung into action. We were requested not to stockpile PPE that our health care professionals needed to care for our sick. So what did we do? Home made face coverings were being made at an accelerated rate. Mask instructional videos were exploding on YouTube. Americans answered the call just like it was a war effort.

We did the right thing and left the available PPE for the front line workers. We are covering our faces with our home made masks and I'm so proud of the effort put forth by those Americans who choose to help mitigate this virus. Now, I'm seeing masks everywhere in retail stores and pharmacies so they are now readily available to the public.......just like toilet paper. Thank goodness!
I share your pride & am grateful for your thoughtful reply.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This is certainly a plus for wearing home made masks. Watching those folks in Tulsa (waiting for the rally) being interviewed and they are saying they are not worried at all about getting the virus and they will not wear masks. These people honestly believe what they are saying. It baffles me how they can deny a story such as the one you posted. Masks do slow the spread of this virus but some folks out there will not believe the evidence.
All of the people I have seen in OK are outside, socially distanced (from those they don’t live with) and are happily & bravely practicing their Constitutionally-protected rights.

The first Amendment doesn’t say “except when others think you shouldn’t” because there are always those who think you shouldn’t.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
The first Amendment doesn’t say “except when others think you shouldn’t” because there are always those who think you shouldn’t.
It sure does. Just before the sentence about having guns in the next Amendment.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
When people talk, sing, sneeze, they often spit or spray and a mask will protect you from those droplets that can carry the virus. What is it about not wanting to wear a mask?
I’d be a lot happier if everyone would wear a brand new, sterile, single-use N-95 (or better) medical-grade mask since those have actual science & an engineered design.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
It sure does. Just before the sentence about having guns in the next Amendment.

First Amendment:

“Congress shall make no law
respecting

an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;

or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
Old 06-20-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
First Amendment:
“Congress shall make no law
respecting
an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;
or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
It was a joke. I've been preaching how the Constitution has been violated since this whole social experiment started.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,662 Times in 1,521 Posts

In 2018 (example) over 60,000 people died of the Flu in the U.S. What happened then? Walmart and some other stores offered handy wipes at the door to wipe the carts off. Anyone wear a mask now because of the flu?
I wear a mask when I go inside places of business ONLY for my spouse, or if there is a sign on the door. BUT, I only do it for my spouse because of her low immunity, diabetes and cancer survivor. Call me selfish if you wish, but I am not concerned about those that think that folks MUST wear protection for them when it is their choice as to mingle in public, not ours mandating their appearance. If someone does not wear a mask, I don't care. I wear one for my spouse, not for others. I never believed in a seat belt law either. I wear one, but I do not feel threatened if someone else does not. And I do not care if someone operates a motorcycle without a helmet. That is their choice, in a free country.
If you choose to wear a mask, fine because I do also. You are out of your mind if you think that you can insist that others wear a mask in public, when you have a choice as to being present or not. IF you think that those that don't wear a mask are being selfish, well.....I guess that is their right too. You cannot mandate charity, morals or common sense. If you do not like it that others are not agreeing with you, or not conforming to YOUR standards, that my friend is YOUR problem.

Argue all you wish as to what is best protection. I have a military gas mask at home that will trump your N95 all day long. I have a mask certified for lead paint removal that's better than your mask. So, if I say that my homemade cloth mask is good enough for me, then I guess you can say "I told you so" when I catch the virus. ANY protection is better than NO protection. But, if you want the ultimate protection, STAY HOME and quit worrying about what others are wearing.
Wars, plagues, fires, hurricanes and earthquakes are natures ways of thinning out the herd. I'm glad to see it working. Will I cry if someone I know dies of this? Of course, but I am not going to blame everyone that does not wear a mask. Living in the Villages, I fully expect to see a whole lot of neighbors and friends die before I go. Death is certain, no one gets out of this life alive.
When someone tells you that you are a fool for not wearing a mask, respond with "you're a fool for not pushing yourself away from the table before your limit" or "you're a fool for wearing that goofy outfit."
This is a FREE country, and you have the right to criticize me. Maybe 1/2% of criticism on the Internet MIGHT even be of value to me.
Wear or do not wear your mask. You are free to make your own choice. Wear a certified mask or wear a homemade mask. You are free to make your own choice. I care about my family. If you think I am selfish in my thinking, you may be right. You might find what I say offensive. I may find it funny. Maybe that is why I am a happier person than you.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayeight99 View Post
No they don’t. The virus is a microbe. If you can get air through a mask you can get the virus. It can penetrate the mask just as air can. Only useful in clinical environments to prevent hairs, spittle, etc, from entering an open wound or an open mouth.
The key here is you have to PUT IT ON YOUR FACE.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
In 2018 (example) over 60,000 people died of the Flu in the U.S. What happened then? Walmart and some other stores offered handy wipes at the door to wipe the carts off. Anyone wear a mask now because of the flu?
I wear a mask when I go inside places of business ONLY for my spouse, or if there is a sign on the door. BUT, I only do it for my spouse because of her low immunity, diabetes and cancer survivor. Call me selfish if you wish, but I am not concerned about those that think that folks MUST wear protection for them when it is their choice as to mingle in public, not ours mandating their appearance. If someone does not wear a mask, I don't care. I wear one for my spouse, not for others. I never believed in a seat belt law either. I wear one, but I do not feel threatened if someone else does not. And I do not care if someone operates a motorcycle without a helmet. That is their choice, in a free country.
If you choose to wear a mask, fine because I do also. You are out of your mind if you think that you can insist that others wear a mask in public, when you have a choice as to being present or not. IF you think that those that don't wear a mask are being selfish, well.....I guess that is their right too. You cannot mandate charity, morals or common sense. If you do not like it that others are not agreeing with you, or not conforming to YOUR standards, that my friend is YOUR problem.

Argue all you wish as to what is best protection. I have a military gas mask at home that will trump your N95 all day long. I have a mask certified for lead paint removal that's better than your mask. So, if I say that my homemade cloth mask is good enough for me, then I guess you can say "I told you so" when I catch the virus. ANY protection is better than NO protection. But, if you want the ultimate protection, STAY HOME and quit worrying about what others are wearing.
Wars, plagues, fires, hurricanes and earthquakes are natures ways of thinning out the herd. I'm glad to see it working. Will I cry if someone I know dies of this? Of course, but I am not going to blame everyone that does not wear a mask. Living in the Villages, I fully expect to see a whole lot of neighbors and friends die before I go. Death is certain, no one gets out of this life alive.
When someone tells you that you are a fool for not wearing a mask, respond with "you're a fool for not pushing yourself away from the table before your limit" or "you're a fool for wearing that goofy outfit."
This is a FREE country, and you have the right to criticize me. Maybe 1/2% of criticism on the Internet MIGHT even be of value to me.
Wear or do not wear your mask. You are free to make your own choice. Wear a certified mask or wear a homemade mask. You are free to make your own choice. I care about my family. If you think I am selfish in my thinking, you may be right. You might find what I say offensive. I may find it funny. Maybe that is why I am a happier person than you.
I've been preaching the very same thing and have rcvd the PM's to prove it. lol I especially agree with your thinning the herd statement. This world of ours needs it badly!
Overweight people going out of their way at a store to tell me I should be wearing a mask for health reasons while there are 300,000 people dying here every year because they hadn't taken care of themselves for decades or more. It's a joke to me.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

As long as it doesn't put others in danger, I have no problem with folks being allowed to kill themselves, or make themselves seriously ill...any way they choose.

With the emphasis on; "As long as it doesn't put others in danger..."

In fact...

Old 06-21-2020, 12:59 PM
Sage

Seems to me that it is not the folks that are not wearing a mask at fault for putting someone in danger, but those that fear the maskless folks that persist to put THEMSELVES in jeopardy by mingling with them. It is not my fault if folks decide to put themselves in harms way. That's like stepping into traffic and blaming a car for hitting them. They caused it, not the driver.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:37 PM
theruizs

Quote:
Seems to me that it is not the folks that are not wearing a mask at fault for putting someone in danger, but those that fear the maskless folks that persist to put THEMSELVES in jeopardy by mingling with them. It is not my fault if folks decide to put themselves in harms way. That's like stepping into traffic and blaming a car for hitting them. They caused it, not the driver.
I realize you are just saying that to get a rise out of people. But a more realistic analogy is that those not wearing masks are like people shooting guns in public and then blaming the people they hit for walking in front of their bullets.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
I realize you are just saying that to get a rise out of people. But a more realistic analogy is that those not wearing masks are like people shooting guns in public and then blaming the people they hit for walking in front of their bullets.
with theruizs.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Your analogy...is silly.

I certainly avoid maskless people as much as I can, but I still need to buy groceries, pay for my golf, etc...where I have no choice but to "mingle" with idiots.

One doesn't have to...run out into traffic.

How about simply making areas where you can't avoid close to other people...'mask zones?'

Just like hospitals, doctor's offices, Etc., Etc,

I promise, that you're not losing your freedom/liberty and what won't be next is..."THEY'LL be coming for your guns."
Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 PM
Sage

I will reiterate and make it simple to understand. Folks that fear those that do not wear masks should NOT be shopping, etc. where they might be subjected to maskless subjects going about their lives. It is not law, and it is NOT anyone's responsibility for your safety but yourself. Sunday, my spouse and I accompanied my brother and his spouse to a restaurant for dinner. The best I could do under the circumstances was to make sure that my spouse was not seated near anyone else but our dinner party. This was OUR choice. It was not up to us to shame anyone else in the restaurant for not wearing a mask. We all decided to be there and we took our chances. If anyone suggests that I was being careless toward the safety of the other diners because we did not wear a mask, then I suggest that they should not lower their immunity system by stressing themselves out. If you do not want to be around those that do not wear masks, then don't go out. You cannot make anyone wear a mask so why bother attempting to force them by shaming them into wearing the masks? Like I said, I shop while wearing a mask. I do it for my spouse, not me. I do not care if you wear a mask or not. Just don't cough on me or I am liable to get ticked off. Demanding others to wear a mask is being kind of arrogant, in my opinion. And to suggest that I don't care about my fellow citizen, just means that you do not know me.
I think the traffic analogy was a fair one. Stepping out into traffic and getting hit is YOUR problem not the driver's fault. The one about shooting does not fit. To make it correlate to the analogy, one should say something like "if you go to a shooting range and walk out in front of the shooter and get shot, it is not their fault for your ignorance to your own safety.
So, if you don't want to be around folks that are not safety conscious (maskless) then don't put yourself in harms way. PERIOD.

Tags
masks, stop, spread, coronavirus, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.