Plastic Surgeon for Melanoma

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Default Plastic Surgeon for Melanoma

We are visiting our former home in Connecticut where a dermatologist friend removed a couple of growths two weeks ago. The biopsy report came back today and one of the spots was a melanoma about 1.25 cm in size. It will require not only removal but also a sentinel node biopsy.

While my buddy said it's not urgent, it should be addressed within the next month. I can remain in CT for a couple extra weeks and have it done here but if there is nodal involvement, it would require chemo, etc. and that treatment would have to be done at home in TV.

So my question is: Has anyone had a melanoma larger than 1 cm removed with a sentinel node biopsy surgery here in TV? Can you recommend a plastic surgeon, etc.?

As always, thanks for your assistance.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 PM

I know there is a good skin cancer surgeon by the name of Dr. Douglas Reintgen. He comes to The Villages once a week as part of the Florida Hospital clinic services, which is
near Walmart on 441. He was recommended to me by a very good surgeon out-of-state.
He probably does his surgery near Tampa, however.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage405 View Post
I know there is a good skin cancer surgeon by the name of Dr. Douglas Reintgen. He comes to The Villages once a week as part of the Florida Hospital clinic services, which is
near Walmart on 441. He was recommended to me by a very good surgeon out-of-state.
He probably does his surgery near Tampa, however.
I did not use him because I went to my out-state-surgeon for my surgery.
But, my Dr. gave him the highest recommendation.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks for your help. My dermatologist gave me a recommendation for a Dr. Sondak at Moffitt in Tampa. That's probably where I will go.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

If you've made your physician choice, do not waste further time. Get an appointment and get on with it. This is NOT something to fool with.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM

I agree with suziq. I have stage IV melanoma, which has metastasized. I would not be concerned with a plastic surgeon at this stage of the game. Focus on the skin cancer at this point. This is something you don't waste time with.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 PM

Make sure
You get a md that is expert with skin cancer. I had melanoma went to dr in NYC. He told me a day could make the difference so PLEASE don't wait. I lost several friends to melanoma because their MDs were not aggressive!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.