Potassium Supplements

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Government recently revised the daily recommendation for potassium up to 4,700 mg. I was eating a banana every day, which has 420 mg, but I quickly got tired of eating them. Most of the supplement pills in the drug stores have only 99 mg, which is only 2 percent of the Government recommendation. Why? I did find some pills on Amazon that have more than 99 mg, but I don't know if they are safe.
Taking more potassium and magnesium seems to help to prevent leg cramps. But, can someone please explain how a person is supposed to get 4,700 mg of potassium?
Electrolytes. I get them from Dr. Berg (on-line) and they have 1000 mgs of potassium per serving (a small scoop.) His products are high quality. Foods that have potassium are leafy greens, beans, nuts, dairy, winter squash, broccoli, beet greens, avocado, mushrooms, peas, cucumbers, carrot juice and bananas.

Last edited by Lea N; 08-22-2023 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by star20166@yahoo.com View Post
I would question anything this govt advised or suggests its citizens do. Find a Naprapath or an old school Chiropractor to give health and nutritional advice. Leave the govt out of it.
Horrors! And what does a naturopath or chiropractor know that a large number of researchers don’t know?
Old 08-21-2023, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,663 Times in 3,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Horrors! And what does a naturopath or chiropractor know that a large number of researchers don’t know?
They know how to upsell supplements that aren't even USP tested or certified. They're really good at making that profit off the sales.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
The Government recently revised the daily recommendation for potassium up to 4,700 mg. I was eating a banana every day, which has 420 mg, but I quickly got tired of eating them. Most of the supplement pills in the drug stores have only 99 mg, which is only 2 percent of the Government recommendation. Why? I did find some pills on Amazon that have more than 99 mg, but I don't know if they are safe.
Taking more potassium and magnesium seems to help to prevent leg cramps. But, can someone please explain how a person is supposed to get 4,700 mg of potassium?
The mg seems high. I just did a Google search and it said 3,400 mg.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
I surely would NOT listen to anything our government has to say
No argument there, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
they are planning a new wave of covid and lockdowns again
...please provide a source if you are going to make a statement like that.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
And we're to believe a government recommendation????
About 30 years ago, they inverted the food pyramid, putting carbs as a basic element and a huge part of the population got fat.
During the early COVID days they made all sorts of (poorly founded) recommendations that did not prevent the spread of the disease, seriously damaged the economy, deprived many people of their jobs, and set our school children back years.
We're supposed to trust them???
Wanna bet that Chiquita is behind the potassium recommendation?
I fail to understand ALL the anti-government rhetoric. In the early days of COVID the disease was more transmittable and lethal than in the later days. That's why it was a fine idea to close schools and warn people not to gather indoors in large crowds. Not everyone adhered to that warning and a lot of people died - probably needlessly. Now when COVID is almost over we have a lot of "armchair quarterbacks" suggesting INCORRECTLY that COVID was NOT very transmittable and deadly.
Most people can get all the potassium that they need from foods, healthy foods. Only a few would need supplements.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Someone seems to be using a lot of Q-tips.
I quickly disregard anything written in the same paragraph as COVID..............JABS. To me, JABS are what professional boxers due to set up an opponent.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:38 PM

1/2 cup of DRIED apricots will give you 1160 mg of potassium. Get a big bag at BJ.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,903 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The mg seems high. I just did a Google search and it said 3,400 mg.
The FDA raised it from 3400 to 4700, which is the current recommendation.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:56 PM

You might want to Google this before taking extra. Some high blood medication actually prevents potassium passing out your urine which can result in a high potassium level in your body.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I fail to understand ALL the anti-government rhetoric. In the early days of COVID the disease was more transmittable and lethal than in the later days. That's why it was a fine idea to close schools and warn people not to gather indoors in large crowds. Not everyone adhered to that warning and a lot of people died - probably needlessly. Now when COVID is almost over we have a lot of "armchair quarterbacks" suggesting INCORRECTLY that COVID was NOT very transmittable and deadly.
I fail to understand how anyone can be naïve enough to trust anything the govt says without extensive research since they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy by distorting facts and outright lying time and time again, not just relative to the pandemic but countless other topics. Particularly when discussing nutrition, the govt has been so dysfunctional with recommendations. Have you not noticed how overweight Americans are vs the rest of the world?

Quote:
Most people can get all the potassium that they need from foods, healthy foods. Only a few would need supplements.
Patently false. Most Americans do not eat a properly balanced diet. Maybe you potentially could get enough potassium from foods, but most people won't/don't.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:57 PM
Default More than bananas

To increase your intake, incorporate a few potassium-rich foods into your diet such as spinach, yams, avocados, bananas, and fish, such as salmon.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
My daughter has her degree in nutrition and works in the field and I took a year of nutrition as part of my Master's degree so I will try to give the best info I can. First, since there is no regulation on supplements, I never get my supplements from Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Home Goods, etc. I always ask the manager if they require independent testing of the Vitamins they carry which includes their own brand. I also don't listen to gov't recommendations. This is a very general recommendation for a young healthy person of average weight. Vitamin requirements can change considerably with aging and health conditions. An example is people with kidney disease are required to cut back on potassium because it is hard on the kidneys. Doctors get little to NO nutritional education.

If you are concerned, find a nutritionist. If you can't find one then go with a holistic practitioner with some education in nutrition. Absolute Health in Ocala has a nutritionist on staff. I took an intra cellular blood test which tells you the nutritions your cells are absorbing compared to what's floating in your blood. It was one of the most helpful tests I ever took. Many doctor's don't know what it is. Absolute Health ordered mine.

Last, I start with a high quality multi vitamin-mineral supplement. One a Day is not that. Many vitamins can't be absorbed without the presence of other vitamin-minerals. An example is Vitamin D need K2. Again, go to a Vitamin store that says they do independent testing. I prefer not to recommend any brands. Often but not always, taking the right supplements for your body will make you feel better. As an example, after a car accident 30 years ago, I have disc damage and bad arthritis all through my spine. I take 4 supplements to help with inflammation and arthritis. I sleep better when I take potassium, calcium and magnesium before bed. I eat half a banana, drink 4 ounces of coconut water and take a supplement. Getting the right supplement balance for your body takes some research. Those requirements can also change over time. I continue to to seek out new info. I hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:00 PM

Potassium - Health Professional Fact Sheet
National Institutes of health
Old 08-21-2023, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,769 Posts

Thank you, guys, for all the great information on potassium. I never thought much about it until my sister-in-law became so weak 2 months ago that she was bed-ridden (she has various conditions). She was taken to the hospital and was given potassium infusion. Within 2 days she was ready to come home, quite chirpy, even managed to go for lunch at a near by restaurant. As far as I know it was the potassium.
Closed Thread

Tags
potassium, pills, eating, recommendation, government

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.