Protein activates genes, accelerates aging.

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Gold member

I think the most important skill both young and old people need to learn is how to filter out all the crap available on internet and color advertising tabloid-size pullouts like Parade Magazine, which sure ain't what it was in the 1960s.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Sage

The Cheater's Guide to Living to 100

Gracie, I didn't like the whole article either. There were statements I disagreed with.

But the quote was from a reputable doctor: Valter Longo, Ph.D., director of the University of Southern California's Longevity Institute, whose studies have shown that people with the highest protein intake have the highest risk of cancer and mortality compared with those who eat the least.

Here's the doctor in his own words: "Protein, especially from animal sources, activates two sets of genes that accelerate aging,"......
Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Sage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
You betcha I can. And did after the first post. How bout you?
No need already know this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Overselling doesn't change anyone's mind.
Please stop the comments about selling or changing anyone's mind, as U know U can only lead a horse to water

Quote:
It is entirely possible that you and the missus and VPL will be sitting and rocking on the porch of the old folks home chewing on carrots at 135 years of age and we will all be pushing up daisies.

Entirely possible. See what we will have missed.
No old folks home I hope, rather be up and about.

Having said that-----

That my dear is simply a matter of choice.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
And unless someone has a pretty extensive education into mitosis and biochemistry, all this is fairly confusing. Here is another article from another credible source.

Protein shown to be natural inhibitor of aging in fruit fly model -- ScienceDaily
Science Daily is a good source but I didn't see anything that would contradict what Dr. Longo stated. Protein is an important nutrient and no one has said otherwise. It's all about putting things in proper perspective, it's not all or nothing. We obviously need protein, but the question is how much and what kind is best?

If you will scroll down to the fourth paragraph of your link it says, "AMPK is activated in response to caloric restriction, a condition that slows down aging, whereas TOR is activated in response to over nutrition, a condition that accelerates aging."

That's brilliant! I agree with that 100%. It's what I have been trying to tell people ever since I read, "Beyond The 120 Year Diet", a book I read many years ago. Calorie restriction activates a gene(s) to slow down aging.

It all fits together. Protein is essential but needs to be kept in proper perspective.

In my opinion, based on many years of study, veganism is the ideal. And it's backed up by large long-term studies showing that those who eat the least amount of animal protein live the longest healthiest lives. Then put that together with calorie restriction as was stated above, but don't confused it with anorexia or orthorexia.

Last edited by Villages PL; 04-06-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

It all fits together. Protein is essential but needs to be kept in proper perspective.
Such an important sentence. I basically will eat anything and everything ( well, most everything) ....but all in moderation. Someday, I know I will be a 90% vegan.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:23 PM
TOTV Moderator

Just a reminder...please address the topic and do not direct comments at other members.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Sage

Amen. Moderation in everything.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Even if we get it JUST right, we can't live forever. The pleasures of the table are a lovely part of living.

Yesterday we had roast beef, with sour cream horse radish sauce, mashed potatoes, peas, corn, baked apples, tossed green salad and yeast rolls. And for dessert fresh fruit and whipped cream.

It was a major feast day and we feasted.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Those with the highest protein intake have the highest risk for...mortality, as compared with those who consume the least.
Actually, we all have identical risks of mortality.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Sage

How do U reach that conclusion?

"further evidence that a higher consumption of fruit and vegetables is associated with a lower risk of all cause mortality, particularly cardiovascular mortality."

link

Do you think someone being for example obese or a smoker has the same mortality rate?
Old 04-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
How do U reach that conclusion?

"further evidence that a higher consumption of fruit and vegetables is associated with a lower risk of all cause mortality, particularly cardiovascular mortality."

link

Do you think someone being for example obese or a smoker has the same mortality rate?
I think that he meant that death is inevitable for all of us.

I think a healthy diet can extend our lives, maybe not as much as frequent sustained activity that raises the heart rate, but somewhat. But no one can make me believe that giving up meat and milk in moderation will make anyone live longer. Smaller portions of protein and bigger percentages of fruit and vegetables with less fat to ME is a healthy diet.

And enjoying the company of others and laughing a lot doesn't hurt either

But picking ancestors who are free of nasty genetic links is even more important in living a long healthy life.

Some of our trump cards have already been played at the age that most of us are. It goes without saying that smoking and drinking heavily aren't really good for you, but my dad lived to be ninety and drank a goodly amount.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Sage

Jim Morrison quote "No one here gets out alive.”

The Villages Florida

For sure, it just how and when
Old 04-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Even if we get it JUST right, we can't live forever. The pleasures of the table are a lovely part of living.

Yesterday we had roast beef, with sour cream horse radish sauce, mashed potatoes, peas, corn, baked apples, tossed green salad and yeast rolls. And for dessert fresh fruit and whipped cream.

It was a major feast day and we feasted.
What a wonderful table. Perfect for family, guests, and Easter!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Gold member

Based on the article, it would appear that living in isolation and spending an inordinate amount of time arguing on TOTV might negate the benefits of a healthy diet.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
VPL you are missing so many incredibly interesting scientific presentations because you won't have a television set. Not a week goes by that I will be seeing something on TV and think to myself that VPL would so enjoy this or that.

Recently you missed a 60 Minutes presentation where the Polio Virus was used to inflame the wall of a brain tumor so that the body's natural defenses could destroy it.

You can read things, but to see the actual tumor and how it went away is something I will not forget.

So many things are right on the brink of being discovered and used in man's fight against disease. I am so glad that I am living to see it.
VPL, I'm not commenting on the diet issue here, but I have to agree with Gracie that you should consider getting a television set. If you had one you might have seen the wonderful 6-hour documentary on PBS last week, "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies." In the Ken Burns' style it examined in great depth the history of man's struggle to understand this disease, the missteps and small victories against cancer.

Last edited by Carla B; 04-06-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.