There is starting to be good news out of New York City

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,552
Thanks: 183
Thanked 1,955 Times in 628 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddling Eagle View Post
My daughter says hydroxycloroquine has not helped her patients at all.

The CDC says that this drug, if misused, can cause severe retinal damage.

So don’t be self medicating with this stuff.
No doctor will prescribe this until you have an eye exam relative to taking it, and have that same exam once a year.
  #17  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 AM
Byte1 Byte1 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,464
Thanks: 6,824
Thanked 1,833 Times in 760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddling Eagle View Post
My daughter says hydroxycloroquine has not helped her patients at all.

The CDC says that this drug, if misused, can cause severe retinal damage.

So don’t be self medicating with this stuff.
It was successfully used to treat the SARs Conornavirus. There have been a few folks that have been interviewed that have been treated successfully for this virus. The medicine was used in Vietnam on our military members to combat malaria. Not trying to pick an argument with you, but no one was suggesting self-medication, only making a positive statement that some have found success using that medication. I believe they were treated by doctors.
If this medication does work well with this virus, it will save months or years of research and save lives NOW rather than later. I think that it's a good bit of news in a seriously bad time.
  #18  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:08 AM
Fred2016 Fred2016 is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 40
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Death toll in New York has spiked 110% since yesterday. If there was such a pill or pills this would not be happening.
Be careful of the rumors you hear.
  #19  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 AM
wiltma wiltma is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 105
Thanks: 171
Thanked 62 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Those tweets were from long ago. Look at the dates. Let’s be real here folks
  #20  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 AM
SusanKD SusanKD is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default This must be false news in listening to the tv on there is no mention of this. Go to

Go to cdc.. gov or John Hopkins. Edu for Accurate information
  #21  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:16 AM
wiltma wiltma is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 105
Thanks: 171
Thanked 62 Times in 32 Posts
Default Not from New York. Why are you spreading fake information

We have enough to deal with without this false information.
  #22  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:20 AM
FredJacobs FredJacobs is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 59 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I had a friend from the UK and he said, "A major difference between the Brits and the Yanks is that in the UK we say, 'we have a situation' and in the U.S. you say, 'we have a problem'. The difference - a problem implies a solution!"
  #23  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:44 AM
Woolyg Woolyg is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 19
Thanks: 26
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

If you are in NYC hospitalized with COVID 19 there is not a lot of good news.. Yesterday the death count was 199, this am it grew to 280... As the Gov said.. Many more deaths will happen in the next week or 2 as the hospitals are pushed beyond capacity. It's just a numbers game and math isn't bias to anyone.
  #24  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 AM
Heyitsrick Heyitsrick is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 219
Thanks: 2
Thanked 274 Times in 115 Posts
Default

NY's Democrat Governor Andrew Cuomo has approved the testing of the "hydroxychloroquine cocktail". Comments here about this drug combo efficacy being "misinformation" or simply touted by non-scientists or alt-whatever news sources is unequivocally wrong.

If people want to wait for full-scale long-term studies, that's fine. Tell that to a dying patient - perhaps (and hopefully not) someone you know - with no other hope. At least give the willing a chance. There's no guarantees, of course, but these are not normal times.

Quote:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday that drug trials to test coronavirus treatments will begin in the state Tuesday, after President Trump on Thursday said the Food and Drug Administration approved one of the drugs for clinical trials, as New York becomes the epicenter for the pandemic in the U.S.

During a Sunday press briefing, Cuomo said 750,000 doses of chloroquine, 70,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine and 10,000 doses of Zithromax were acquired by New York state for the trial.

Chloroquine (an anti-malaria drug) and hydroxychloroquine (used for lupus and arthritis) were approved by the FDA for clinical trials as possible coronavirus treatments, while Zithromax is a brand-name antibiotic.

"The president is optimistic about these drugs and we are all optimistic that it could work,” Cuomo said.
Quote:
The medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases reported March 9 that Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, was effective in killing the coronavirus in laboratory experiments. Plaquenil was first approved in 1995 and, in addition to treating malaria, is used in patients with lupus or arthritis.
New York To Begin Clinical Trials For Coronavirus Treatment Tuesday, Cuomo Says
  #25  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:03 AM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,714
Thanks: 3,520
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,459 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
Comments here about this drug combo efficacy being "misinformation" or simply touted by non-scientists or alt-whatever news sources is unequivocally wrong.
That's not what the comments are about. The misinformation is the anecdotes and accolades. This combination is not readily available to the public. It is not "proven" to work in humans for Coronavirus. It is being tested. You can't just get a prescription for it, and if you try to get a prescription for the individual parts of the combination and take it, you could end up dead.

Again - this cocktail is not yet PROVEN to be effective. It is being studied. Sure there's hope that the end result will be an effective treatment. And sure that result might come quickly, now that it's being studied.

But it is misinformation to claim that it has already been proven to work, OR that "a family friend who I know so well I'm not even sure how old they are" took it and recovered the next day, while under hospital care, and therefore it MUST be that cocktail and there's absolutely no possibly way that the virus had already completed its journey through the patient's body and was simply over the next morning."

And this person knows for sure because he's a doctor? Nah - because he's a stock trader.

Get real people. You're not stupid, you managed to live long enough to get a lovely home in a wonderful community. Surely you got here by not being that gullible.
  #26  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Bucco Bucco is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,552
Thanks: 183
Thanked 1,955 Times in 628 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
NY's Democrat Governor Andrew Cuomo has approved the testing of the "hydroxychloroquine cocktail". Comments here about this drug combo efficacy being "misinformation" or simply touted by non-scientists or alt-whatever news sources is unequivocally wrong.

If people want to wait for full-scale long-term studies, that's fine. Tell that to a dying patient - perhaps (and hopefully not) someone you know - with no other hope. At least give the willing a chance. There's no guarantees, of course, but these are not normal times.





New York To Begin Clinical Trials For Coronavirus Treatment Tuesday, Cuomo Says
tests have been ongoing for a bit now.

" As of Friday (March 20), 86 clinical trials of COVID-19 treatments or vaccines that are either ongoing or recruiting patients. New ones are being added every day, as the case count in the U.S. (and globally) skyrockets. The drugs being tested range from repurposed flu treatments to failed ebola drugs, to malaria treatments that were first developed decades ago."

Relative to Plaquenil (I take this for rheumatoid arthritis myself), a quote about this drug..

"However, the CDC noted that the small, non-randomized study "did not assess clinical benefit[s]" associated with the treatment; in other words, the study did not probe whether the treated patients were more likely to recover and survive their illness. Additionally, the agency advised that doctors should be cautious when giving either drug to patients with chronic disease, such as kidney failure, and especially those "who are receiving medications that might interact to cause arrhythmias."

Treatments for COVID-19: Drugs being tested against coronavirus | Live Science

This link will update you on ALL drugs being tested
  #27  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:18 AM
OhioBuckeye OhioBuckeye is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 226 Times in 175 Posts
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Any chance you have a link for this info ? I need good news.

These "news conferences" daily are beginning to be rallies. Lots of self congratulation as death tolls rise, unemployment surges, hospitals are collapsing and are overwhelmed, state and local leaders warn the worse to come.

So, give me a legit link to good news. The link you supply is from Bahrain.
Everybody should just believe what they want because everybody has their own ideas what to do. The best thing to do is not to read comments on anything like this or any article that you can comment on because there’s always someone that’s going to be an expert on the subject.
  #28  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 AM
ALadysMom ALadysMom is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 309
Thanks: 509
Thanked 194 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That's not what the comments are about. The misinformation is the anecdotes and accolades. This combination is not readily available to the public. It is not "proven" to work in humans for Coronavirus. It is being tested. You can't just get a prescription for it, and if you try to get a prescription for the individual parts of the combination and take it, you could end up dead.

Again - this cocktail is not yet PROVEN to be effective. It is being studied. Sure there's hope that the end result will be an effective treatment. And sure that result might come quickly, now that it's being studied.

But it is misinformation to claim that it has already been proven to work, OR that "a family friend who I know so well I'm not even sure how old they are" took it and recovered the next day, while under hospital care, and therefore it MUST be that cocktail and there's absolutely no possibly way that the virus had already completed its journey through the patient's body and was simply over the next morning."

And this person knows for sure because he's a doctor? Nah - because he's a stock trader.

Get real people. You're not stupid, you managed to live long enough to get a lovely home in a wonderful community. Surely you got here by not being that gullible.
So if you get COVID-19 and you are gasping for breath, don’t take anything that hadn’t been thoroughly studied and given a full stamp of approval.Then we won’t be hearing from you any more.

Let the seriously ill people and their own doctor decide what is best for them.
  #29  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 AM
aallbrand aallbrand is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 49
Thanks: 1
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Default

please please stop broadcasting things you read on the internet about medications . Please remember so much of what you read have no credibility .
  #30  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM
GoodLife's Avatar
GoodLife GoodLife is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=OrangeBlossomBaby;1733927]That's not what the comments are about. The misinformation is the anecdotes and accolades. This combination is not readily available to the public. It is not "proven" to work in humans for Coronavirus. It is being tested. You can't just get a prescription for it, and if you try to get a prescription for the individual parts of the combination and take it, you could end up dead.

Again - this cocktail is not yet PROVEN to be effective. It is being studied. Sure there's hope that the end result will be an effective treatment. And sure that result might come quickly, now that it's being studied.

But it is misinformation to claim that it has already been proven to work, OR that "a family friend who I know so well I'm not even sure how old they are" took it and recovered the next day, while under hospital care, and therefore it MUST be that cocktail and there's absolutely no possibly way that the virus had already completed its journey through the patient's body and was simply over the next morning."

And this person knows for sure because he's a doctor? Nah - because he's a stock trader.

Get real people. You're not stupid, you managed to live long enough to get a lovely home in a wonderful community. Surely you got here by not being that gullible.[/QUOTE

Stop trying to scare people and telling them what they are allowed to post, you are not the hall monitor here. Millions of people (including me) have taken plaquenil drug for malaria, and millions have taken Z-Pak (including me) for infection and they are just fine. These drugs are in wide circulation. Doctors in Miami, New York and all over the world are now giving these drugs to coronavirus patients per FDA guidelines, clinical trials have also started, and there is nothing wrong with posting about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
daily, normal, firsthand, reports, coming

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.