Tinnitis

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2022, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs317 View Post
I’ve been hoping for 40 years for a cure but still haven’t found one yet. Lately the ringing has gotten so loud on occasion it gives me headaches. I read here that some find a little relief in hearing aids.
What brand and style are they. Any info is appreciated.
The brand and style doesn't matter. What matters if that your hearing is corrected. A qualified licensed audiologist (as opposed to a hearing aid salesman) can make sure you are matched with the right type and give you brand options. Some hearing aids are -only- amplifiers. You might find relief with those. Or your hearing loss might require something more complex, and simple amplifiers won't help.

There is no "cure" for tinnitus. But there is a treatment for it. And that treatment is hearing aids. That treatment only works if the tinnitus is caused by the hearing loss (which it is, in most cases).
Old 03-16-2022, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,470 Times in 2,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex34449 View Post
She didn't. We were not designed to live this long. If you're on a life saving drug or have had a life saving operation, well you weren't supposed to still be here.

Using that analogy, those who contracted Tinnitus 30/40/50 years ago, should have died!
Old 03-16-2022, 09:15 AM

There is a Villages Support Group with current information from the American Tinnitus Association. The organizer is
Sal Gentile, TVTINNITUS@GMAIL.COM
Old 03-16-2022, 10:13 AM
Default Tinnitus

This is my story. Others may have different results:

(a) Lipoflavanoid worked to reduce but not eliminate my tinnitus. I had to follow directions. Six pills a day - 2 with each meal - for 2 months, the two pills a day maintenance dose.

(b) I began to notice that medications and supplements I took brought on tinnitus. For instance, Aleve and some varieties of Vitamin B, as well as turmeric. Some prescriptions brought it on, some did not. My uric acid prescription brought it on so I asked the doctor to change me to something else for uric acid and the new prescription did not bring on tinnitus.

I am sure, again, that everyone is different, but this is what has worked for me. It is not totally gone, but it is quiet enough to be manageable.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorknow View Post
Yes for many many years after getting out of Air Force. Jet Engine noise did me in. I find some assistance now with hearing aids. However when I take them out at night the tinnitus is annoying trying to sleep. So one thing I do that helps is to use a radio or tape recorder or other device to overpower the "noise" . A "white noise" or other device that plays rain storms or pleasant sounds may be used as well. However, you have to be able to go to sleep with the sounds of the device which takes some training for your brain. However it is better than the insistent and constant ringing in your ears from the tinnitus.
On the flight line, it was required that the troops have ear defenders with them. Many would wear their ear "muffs" on their toolboxes as the big jets wound up their 130 DB engines (past the threshold of pain). They. apparently considered themselves to be cool, tough, and macho. I did not see it that way and always wore mine. I did NOT experience tinnitus until I was over 75 years old.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:53 AM

I find that my tinnitus varies and seems to be tied to how high the allergy levels are. Taking an antihistamine daily when pollen levels are at their highest will reduce but not eliminate the "volume" of the tinnitus. If you google allergy-induced tinnitus you can read more about this. I also noticed that the louder the tinnitus was the more likely I would experience a bout of vertigo. This is just my own personal experience and not meant in any way to be medical advice for anyone else.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:54 PM

I’ve had bi-lateral tinnitus for about 15 years and there is no cure or known treatment for it. I’ve learned to just deal with the constant ringing/buzzing. Not much else you can do. It’s usually caused from being exposed to loud noises without ear protection for an extended period of time.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reston Easy View Post
Anyone had it? Did You find treatment? Was it successful?
Thanks for your help in advance.
I don't know if this really works or not but here is a link that might help. I wish you the best with this.

Reddit Tinnitus Cure Does It Work? Video Tutorial | The WHOot
Old 03-16-2022, 09:54 PM

I've had it for 3 years now. There is no cure.

I went to many doctors. Not one them had an answer. I finally did my own research and decided to use noise masking. Went to an audiologist and was fitted for an Oticon hearing aid. One that generates a noise frequency spectrum matched to your ear's deficiencies.

At night I use a speaker/sleep headband and listen to lots of different YouTube videos of rain. You can find them on Amazon for $20. I can't sleep without it. It works well. Plus it will work for well over 8 hours. Earbuds are horrible. They hurt your ears when worn for long periods of time and run out of battery charge in a few hours.

Good luck. Over time you do get used to it. The first year was the worst for me.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,202 Times in 2,798 Posts

Never had it until last Spring/Summer when I got bitten by a nasty tick that injected a parasite into my bloodstream that almost killed me. For several days the doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me, so they kept trying different antibiotics hoping something would work. When I was finally properly diagnosed, I got another very long course of more but different strong antibiotics, along with anti malaria meds. Ever since then there is a constant buzzing in my ears. I hate silence, because that makes me focus on the obnoxious noise. I like to always have background noise, be it a radio, TV, fan, etc…. As long as there is some noise, It doesn’t bother me. Hunting, while silently sitting in my tree stand, the buzzing drives me nuts. Bring on the background noise.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:40 AM

Me too...
Old 03-17-2022, 09:27 AM

Below is a link to a Dr Burg video on how to eliminate tinnitus. It did not work for me. My wife said it helped to reduce her tinnitus. Maybe it will work for you.

How To Stop Tinnitus | Dr.Berg Blog
Old 03-17-2022, 09:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

By the comments her it sounds like you just have to deal with it. Sorry I can’t help you but sure glad I don’t have it. But at 72 I have other issues that I just have to deal with as I get older!
Old 03-17-2022, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Yes, I have it and have been told it was likely from medication I needed several years ago, an IV antibiotic. It is always with me, I notice it more at night. If anyone has a cure I’d love to hear it.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:06 PM

I've had Tinnitus since 2012. I found that reducing the amount of caffeine I have in day helped some. My Tinnitus varies in intensity a significant amount.

The American Tinnitus Society (American Tinnitus Association) has a tool, if you become a member (cost is $50), that will allow you to create custom sounds that can be of help in masking your tinnitus.

Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
tinnitis, find, treatment, successful, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.