Transition Lenses..Good or Bad

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 PM

I've worn Transitions for years.

If you're really interested in lenses that change, spend the extra money and get authentic Varilux Transitions lenses. Just about anyone that sells glasses offeres some type of generic transitional lens. Even at Ocala Eye, a totally reputable group, in my opinion, I had to specify "Varilux Transitions." The technician told me they sell more of another type of transitional lens, because these were so expensive. My last set, including new frames, cost right at $500. Worth every cent in my opinion.

I've always paid for the Varilux Transitions, and I've NEVER had them not work. I wore my last prescription for almost eight years. They never faded, they always changed, they never scratched, and I'd still be wearing them if the frames hadn't started to discolor and my prescription changed enough to warrant new ones. One complaint many have, especially if you have the progressive lenses, is distortion on the sides. Absolutely NO distortion with these lenses.

True, they don't change while driving the car, but I'm not in the car much here. They do change in the golf cart. Also, others have talked about a tint inside. I can put mine up against a white sheet of paper, and if there is a tint, it's beyond minimal. Even during the summer, mine get very dark. They also change to clear very quickly upon going inside.

One last thought, if you deal with a reputable supplier, if you get the lenses and are unhappy with them after 30 days, or more, they will let you replace them at no cost.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM

I have them and find they make poor sun glasses.They do not work inside your car. I just had cataract surgery and will get new glasses with clear lenses and a new pair of sunglasses
Old 01-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Another vote for transition. I've also worn them for many, many years. I also have progressive lenses. I call them my "everything" glasses. One pair on in the morning/off at bedtime.....so simple.

After years of trying to get my husband to go with progressive and transition, he finally did it...although he had to go with bifocal, instead of progressive, because of an eye muscle problem. He adjusted in amazingly quick time, particularly since he was determined he wouldn't like them....LOL

I would never even consider going back to sunglasses and reading glasses. Just too much to keep up with, plus I have never had any type of adjustment problem. You just forget about them. Put them on and get on with your day, including golf, computer, driving and everything!!

Do get good quality!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceegeo View Post
Friends,

I would like to know from those of you who have or had Transition Lenses and what you think about them.
It's time for new glasses and I don't like changing from my regular glasses to my sunglasses all the time or else I forget the sunglasses. You perscription lense wearers know what I am talking about. Do they change back to normal quickly and are they really clear or have that smokey tint to them inside a room?

Thanks,
Cecelia
I have used transitions for more year than I can remember. The transition is subtle and responsive. (the only time there was a slight delay (seconds) was coming in from -35 temperature to indoors_ ICANT imagine that happening that happening in the Villages)

IMHO well worth the investment for your eyes!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Sage

I have liked them quite well. No regrets
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
I have used transitions for more year than I can remember. The transition is subtle and responsive. (the only time there was a slight delay (seconds) was coming in from -35 temperature to indoors_ ICANT imagine that happening that happening in the Villages)

IMHO well worth the investment for your eyes!
I thought I had ruined my first pair of transition just a couple of days after I got them. I was in PA during a big snow storm. I went out in the morning, and the sun was shining very brightly. I walked about 100 yards, or so, in the blinding light reflected off the snow. My lenses got almost pitch black dark and stayed that way for quite a while. I put them in the pocket of my coat for the walk back and they finally got back to normal.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.