What's up with shingles?

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think Medicare does cover it Shimpy, but you must have a doctor's order to take to the pharmacy. It doesn't matter if you had Chicken Pox or not, the threat is the same. Herpes Zoster can reactivate, and that is what causes Shingles. And friends have told me the pain is something like having your skin ripped off, and it doesn't stop for three weeks and sometimes longer..
My doctor recommended that I get the shingles vaccine and asked if I have ever had chicken pox. I was not sure, so the next time I had a blood test they were able to check to see if I had had chicken pox. The result was that I had never had it. He told me that I should, therefore, not get the shingles vaccine because it could give me chicken pox. I asked him if that meant that I should get a vaccine for chicken pox and he said I should only if I am frequently around a lot of children.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Shingles shot has nothing to do with Obama Care.....Believe me if you have not had the Shingles shot you should get it.....You do NOT want the full brunt of Shingles. Do not walk but run to get this shot without delayl

Once you have it ...and it can occur at any time and for no reason....on a trip or when you wake up in the am..... It just takes off unless you have immediate access to the required drugs to supress it and it can be very painful.

If you are over 55, DONOT fool with this. .
Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Is shingles more prevalent these days? Every time I go to the doc, they ask if I want a shingles vaccine. I am seeing shingles treatment ads on TV all the time. Is this related to The Affordable Care Act? I have had doctors apologize for asking certain questions or making me aware of certain treatments and they blame it on Obamacare, saying they are now required to ask or counsel.

I guess what I really want to know is do I need a shingles vaccine?
The shingles vaccine is not new and has nothing to do with the ACA. If you are over 60, get it (you do not want shingles)!!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Is shingles more prevalent these days? Every time I go to the doc, they ask if I want a shingles vaccine. I am seeing shingles treatment ads on TV all the time. Is this related to The Affordable Care Act? I have had doctors apologize for asking certain questions or making me aware of certain treatments and they blame it on Obamacare, saying they are now required to ask or counsel.

You have had doctors apologize for offering information and making you aware of certain treatments that may improve your health? And they blame the ACA for their need to counsel you? You not only need a shingles shot; you need new doctors.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Yes, and it has nothing to do with Obamacare, but rather just good medical care.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
You have had doctors apologize for offering information and making you aware of certain treatments that may improve your health? And they blame the ACA for their need to counsel you? You not only need a shingles shot; you need new doctors.
Amen to that!
Tampa, FL
Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Platinum member

as a pharmacist I saw many, many patients needing anti-viral meds and heavy duty pain meds from getting shingles. My insurance company paid for the shot if one was 60 years old. I was at my doctor's shortly after my 60th birthday requesting it. I would highly recommend getting it.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Sage

My doctor gave me a shingles shot in my 60's.

My uncle didn't get one and he got the shingles in his 90's. He was a WWII vet who never complained about anything, except the extreme pain he felt, from the shingles. He was in a lot of pain for several years and it disabled, his arm.

The only relief he got from the singles is the day he died!!!

I wouldn't be able to put a price tag on being in pain for several years. It's worth every penny of what a shot may cost.

The short answer is a resounding YES!!!!.

Get the shot.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
My doctor recommended that I get the shingles vaccine and asked if I have ever had chicken pox. I was not sure, so the next time I had a blood test they were able to check to see if I had had chicken pox. The result was that I had never had it. He told me that I should, therefore, not get the shingles vaccine because it could give me chicken pox. I asked him if that meant that I should get a vaccine for chicken pox and he said I should only if I am frequently around a lot of children.
And here is what the CDC says about adults with no history of chicken pox (varicella)

Varicella vaccination •All adults without evidence of immunity to varicella (as defined below) should receive 2 doses of single-antigen varicella vaccine or a second dose if they have received only 1 dose.

Varicella in an adult is an ugly disease. Your risk of acquiring varicella increases if you are exposed to persons who may have either active chicken pox or active shingles. Living in a retirement community certainly increases your likelihood of shingles exposure. On the other hand, chicken pox is becoming much less common in children due to the success of routine immunization in that age group.

As to whether before giving the shingles shot you need to assess for past varicella in the absence of a history of chicken pox,

Routine Vaccination of Persons Aged >60 Years
ACIP recommends routine vaccination of all persons aged >60 years with 1 dose of zoster vaccine. Persons who report a previous episode of zoster and persons with chronic medical conditions (e.g., chronic renal failure, diabetes mellitus, rheumatoid arthritis, and chronic pulmonary disease) can be vaccinated unless those conditions are contraindications or precautions. Zoster vaccination is not indicated to treat acute zoster, to prevent persons with acute zoster from developing PHN, or to treat ongoing PHN. Before routine administration of zoster vaccine, it is not necessary to ask patients about their history of varicella (chickenpox) or to conduct serologic testing for varicella immunity.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5705.pdf page 19

Over 99.5% of persons born before 1980 have had varicella. If you are given the shingles shot and you have not had chicken pox I find no evidence it will "give you chicken pox" In fact in that situation, the shingles shot simply counts as your first of the two required varicella shots you need.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
And here is what the CDC says about adults with no history of chicken pox (varicella)
Or, if you prefer plain English.
Shingles Vaccine Information, Side Effects, and More
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-18-2015, 06:21 PM
Sage

Now, I'm more confused than ever. I guess wife and I will just pay $450 for our shots whether we need them or not.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Now, I'm more confused than ever. I guess wife and I will just pay $450 for our shots whether we need them or not.

If you are on Medicare you will not have to pay anything- my understanding. I only paid $50 the year before I went on Medicare.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

My shingles shot was covered through a Cigna PPO, and my wife's through a BCBS PPO. Both done at Walgreens, no prescription. It took a while for Cigna to determine how to cover it. BCBS was no problem at all.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Varicella vaccination •All adults without evidence of immunity to varicella (as defined below) should receive 2 doses of single-antigen varicella vaccine or a second dose if they have received only 1 dose.

Varicella in an adult is an ugly disease. Your risk of acquiring varicella increases if you are exposed to persons who may have either active chicken pox or active shingles. Living in a retirement community certainly increases your likelihood of shingles exposure. On the other hand, chicken pox is becoming much less common in children due to the success of routine immunization in that age group.

As to whether before giving the shingles shot you need to assess for past varicella in the absence of a history of chicken pox,

Routine Vaccination of Persons Aged >60 Years
ACIP recommends routine vaccination of all persons aged >60 years with 1 dose of zoster vaccine. Persons who report a previous episode of zoster and persons with chronic medical conditions (e.g., chronic renal failure, diabetes mellitus, rheumatoid arthritis, and chronic pulmonary disease) can be vaccinated unless those conditions are contraindications or precautions. Zoster vaccination is not indicated to treat acute zoster, to prevent persons with acute zoster from developing PHN, or to treat ongoing PHN. Before routine administration of zoster vaccine, it is not necessary to ask patients about their history of varicella (chickenpox) or to conduct serologic testing for varicella immunity.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5705.pdf page 19

Over 99.5% of persons born before 1980 have had varicella. If you are given the shingles shot and you have not had chicken pox I find no evidence it will "give you chicken pox" In fact in that situation, the shingles shot simply counts as your first of the two required varicella shots you need.
Blueash,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. It has certainly given me a reason to reconsider what my previous physician told me, as well as to discuss it with my current physician in The Villages.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 PM

Just got my shingles shot today. Kept putting it off, but so glad I have it now. I had chicken pox and so did all 4 of my children. I once saw a sweet 92 yr old man suffering with this disease and it was just pitiful; he was in so much pain.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.