Wheat Belly

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I noticed the title of the book ("Wheat Belly") in this thread earlier, and bought the book. I decided to see for myself and do a 30 day wheat/gluten free diet with very low refined sugars. It's only been a few days, but already I notice a difference. No acid indigestion, higher energy, clear-headed, not as hungry. I am looking forward to seeing what other benefits I notice. People can argue theory but I think the bottom line is how it works for each person.

p.s. the basic theory is that "wheat" today does not even resemble the pure wheat from a century ago because it has been genetically altered to the point where it has very different chemical reactions in the body.
Thank you!!! I'd LOVE to hear more testimonials!!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Veteran member

Why your at it, cut out the happy hour alcohol and start exercising every day.

Last edited by Down Sized; 01-31-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Sage
Smile

I stopped eating wheat a long time ago because I judged it to be unnatural. But I do eat Ezekiel bread that is partly made with wheat sprouts. I eat two slices per day (lunch and dinner) and I feel fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I decided to get serious about being gluten-free. Back in August I bought the book "Wheat Belly", and followed it. A natural side effect was eating a lot less sugar too. I lost 25 pounds, and I don't have the types of cravings I used to have.
I found those 25 pounds you lost.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM

I have been following this way of eating now for three weeks. I have so much energy. My bones do not ache as much when I get up in the morning or when I get out of the car after a long ride. As a benefit, also, I have lost 8 lbs. since I started. I also try to stay away from sugar. I eat fresh fruit, nuts, vegetables, meat, chicken, fish. Nothing processed for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Sage

You can get gluten-free salads now at Panera BUT you have to tell them it's in the "hidden menu" as they're not posted on their menu boards.

Don't know about other restaurants. I'm thinking you could just eat your protein (meat) and ask for salads with oil/vinegar dressing!

The book Wheat Belly is very enlightening....folks would be appalled and amazed at what they are putting into their bodies. The fact that there are testimonials here and elsewhere (other internet links and in the book) of folks who turned their medical issues around, as well as losing weight and feeling better. It's NOT a diet but a life-style change!!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 PM

I have read Wheat Belly and really enjoyed it. I am allergic to wheat, dairy, oats, and some tree nuts.
Where in The Villages do you buy non-wheat/gluten and non dairy products. I know that I have to stay very close to clean foods, but there are times that I am hungry for a non-dairy yogurt or a Glutino cereal bar. I can order many things, but dairy is a different story.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

Probably the only place to get those things is Fresh Market on 466
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR&VAF View Post
I have read Wheat Belly and really enjoyed it. I am allergic to wheat, dairy, oats, and some tree nuts.
Where in The Villages do you buy non-wheat/gluten and non dairy products. I know that I have to stay very close to clean foods, but there are times that I am hungry for a non-dairy yogurt or a Glutino cereal bar. I can order many things, but dairy is a different story.
If in fact you've read the book then you know that you need to stay away from anything processed. The author is specific about many foods you can eat or not eat "IF" you want to follow this plan. If you are in fact allergic to wheat...gluten-free foods aren't exactly that neither.

After reading the book myself, I've been trying to not keep any processed foods in our house. I've been trying not to have sugar as well. The "good doctor" talks about how these things will play into "appetite" and more. Three months now of doing this plan---about 20 lbs lost and much, much more as far as health and well-being is being seen in a positive light. I think for anyone to make a judgement---they would have to go on this plan for 30 to 60 days THEN tell the world how it's affected them. I've seen testimonial after testimonial on how great this food plan has been! Get the book and read it!!!~
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum member
Smile

The fact that our wheat has been genetically "altered" scares me.
I will check out this book - need more energy! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,333 Posts

It's a good read
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
If in fact you've read the book then you know that you need to stay away from anything processed. The author is specific about many foods you can eat or not eat "IF" you want to follow this plan. If you are in fact allergic to wheat...gluten-free foods aren't exactly that neither.

After reading the book myself, I've been trying to not keep any processed foods in our house. I've been trying not to have sugar as well. The "good doctor" talks about how these things will play into "appetite" and more. Three months now of doing this plan---about 20 lbs lost and much, much more as far as health and well-being is being seen in a positive light. I think for anyone to make a judgement---they would have to go on this plan for 30 to 60 days THEN tell the world how it's affected them. I've seen testimonial after testimonial on how great this food plan has been! Get the book and read it!!!~
First off, Congratulations on losing 20 pounds!!!

A little about me- I have lost 50 pounds and have maintained that loss for the last 4 years. I did this by watching my carbs (50%), fats (25%), and protein (25%). And of course exercising, my choice is walking (10,000 steps), and lifting a little, almost daily. I am a moderation girl. I am "in fact" allergic to these items, I carry an Epipen with me. I can produce my allergist name and my Rx number if you would like. I was diagnosed with these allergies on August 2012. And I have read this book, and many others on this topic. I am not a celiac or gluten intolerance. I am just allergic to wheat and the other items I mentioned above. I didn't state that I was following this plan. I am not an expert on anything. I just know what works best for me.
I do like a non dairy yogurt occasionally and I do like a cereal bar at times. Even then I have to be careful and read the ingredients, because it may state gluten free, but it may still have wheat in it.
I don't buy any type of flour or sugar anymore. Most processed items are out as well. I try to eat as clean as possible. I do occasionally like an allergy free-cereal bar or a yogurt, and sometimes I push the envelope with these allergies. It's hard to give up things you love, at least it is for me. Luckily I haven't had to use the Epipen, and hopefully I never will.

My question was- Where can I find gluten/wheat free items or non dairy items here or around The Villages? We did check out Fresh Market yesterday, not much there in these lines. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Create a healthy day!
~Val
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
It's a good read
It is a good read! Very eye opening.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Sage

There's a health-food store in Ocala, where you might look for the non-gluten, non-dairy items. Whole-foods in Orlando as well---if you really need to be on these items it's worth the drive to stock up. I pretty much eat clean. I can't "do" dairy (milk) or yeast or soy neither so my "diet" pretty much is protein (eggs/meats), veggies and fruits. As the book states we are "allowed" nuts (not peanuts) and olives as well as limited dark 89% chocolate bars once in a great while.

One has to get one's brain wrapped around all that the Wheat Belly book talks about (also by reading the cook-book as well). It takes time to get over a life-time of eating habits but it's well worth it!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Sage
Smile

I think "Wheat Belly" will be enjoyed more by women than men. In the opening chapters it sounded to me like it was for women as the author talked about certain emotional aspects, though I don't remember exactly what that was. Then I looked to see who the author was and, sure enough, it was a woman. Sorry, I just couldn't relate to it and wasn't very impressed by it.

I think it was chapter 3 that talked about monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). That was a little better than the first 2 chapters. But I don't recall any limit being set on fat consumption. Even if you consume "good" fats there must be some limit. What was it, if any?

Now I remember what I didn't like about the first chapter. It consisted of a big big sales pitch of the diet to come in the rest of the book. I kept thinking: Come-on, let's get to it! It reminded me of real estate people who, while driving you to see a house, will say, "you're gonna love this house". And you're thinking, "I'm not going to love it just because you say so."

Therefore, anyone who's thinking of reading "wheat Belly" can totally skip the first chaper and you will not be missing anything important.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.