Why is there, such a "need" by so many to get covid tested....

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2022, 09:32 AM

Omicron can pack a real punch….doesn’t feel like a normal flu. You can end up in the hospital if you don’t have the added protection of the vaccines. With that said, a lot of testing is going to schools. Many require a negative test to start school, and if someone comes up positive during school everyone that had contact with them must get tested, then if they stay without systems test again for a negative result to return to school. If everyone was vaccinated so their systems were more mild, we wouldn’t have this problem. However, since 30% of the population refuses vaccines, they become heavy load carriers of the virus which then can infect others, especially children. I know someone that had omicron and said it took her 20 minutes just to get out of bed and she had to monitor her blood oxygen levels, especially at night and not let them go below 90. She said it was scary, and if someone had gotten it like her and didn’t have the added protection of the vaccines and booster, she thinks they definitely would have ended up in the hospital. She said she has never had any “flu” that hit her so hard like this.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I would like to know where you get your numbers because they sound bogus.
That wasn't difficult to find....

From this source:
Approximately 6,300 people were hospitalized in Illinois with COVID-19 as of late Sunday, according to data from the Illinois Department of Health. Approximately 85% of those hospitalized because of COVID-19 are unvaccinated, while 95% of the approximately 1,100 people in intensive care are unvaccinated, Pritzker said.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-04-2022, 09:36 AM

$$$$$$$$$$
Old 01-04-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
The reason to test: if the test is positive, one can take reasonable precautions not to infect others.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:38 AM

Media FEAR!!
Old 01-04-2022, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
Most of the responses are against testing and for many good reasons. I would have heartedly agreed 2 days ago. As of yesterday I still agree, however, not to the same degree. Yesterday I was feeling like crap. I had a stuffy runny nose, coughing, sneezing, a slight headache and a slight back ache. I happen to have 2 BinaxNOW tests kits which I bought a few months ago. So I opened one and did the test. I was expecting a negative result – probably a cold or maybe some flu symptoms. No such luck it came up positive. I immediately texted my doctor to see what, if anything, I should do. He has not, as yet, gotten back to me. I will take the second test next Saturday to see if it comes up negative. In the meantime, given that I know I have it I won’t be running around spreading it. Yesterday the symptoms were mild, not so much last night. I didn’t get any sleep as it was difficult breathing with my stuffed up nostrils and my temperature fluctuated between 99 and 102. And yes, I had both Pfizer shots and the booster. So yes, I do agree that most of this testing hysteria is uncalled for but there are a few instances where it may be prudent.
Thank you for your post - sincerely.

A question: Since the test came back positive you won't be running around to spread it. What if the test had come back negative, would you have wandered out into public with a cold or flu? Perhaps a good approach for everyone is to not venture into public if you have symptoms of a cold, flu, or covid.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-04-2022, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
A doctor told a friend of mine that he cannot get the pills.

The friend has tested positive with some pretty significant symptoms. He was told to take his pulse/ox and go to an ER if the numbers drop significantly. The doc said that the fact that he has been vaccinated and boosted is very much in his favor.

The ERs are full of Covid patients. The news in my home city in Ohio just reported that some of the hospitals are prioritizing necessary surgeries and postponing elective surgeries. One hospital even clearly announced that they are clearing beds for an onslaught of the unvaccinated. . .Just imagine someone needing a heart surgery but being put off because of somebody who refused the vaccine for no good reason.

Boomer
Your friend needs a new doctor.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
A person must be pretty dedicated to wait in line for free test.
Many Companies require a weekly Covid test for unvaxed workers.
Foreign Travel including Cruises.
If testing positive it’s required to return to work and receive paid sick benefits.
If you remember upon the start of this Covid Pandemic in 2020 The Villages people were lining up for Covid testing for about 250 tests daily by appointment.
Well it’s Deja Vu 2 years later. Now we are in the Flu season along with Omicron and Covid Delta strain.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Thank you for your post - sincerely.

A question: Since the test came back positive you won't be running around to spread it. What if the test had come back negative, would you have wandered out into public with a cold or flu? Perhaps a good approach for everyone is to not venture into public if you have symptoms of a cold, flu, or covid.
Honestly - probably. In my 73 years I've never had the flu. In realistic terms I never thought I had the flu. When I was sick I simply thought it was a cold, however, it could have been a flu. How many of us went to school with a cold? How many went to work? For most of us we never even thought about a cold or flu. Unless we were really sick life went on. It wasn't until Wuhan shared Covid with us did we ever consider wearing masks.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgettinger01 View Post
If you are not going to get vaccinated why test? The test is only valid at the time it is taken. After the test you might contract it. Testing is a waste of money and time.
Because if you do have it, you might give it unknowingly to someone who is vulnerable to serious illness.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltdisney4life View Post
$$$$$$$$$$
Everything is about money but that is the system we have now. Unless we change it, it will always be about money. You have a solution for this?
Old 01-04-2022, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

So, you go to CVS and take your test. Two days later, you receive your results and they indicate "Negative." Two days ago, after testing you go shopping at Publix and stop to chat with a friend you bumped into. That friend was infected. You receive your test results in the mail today indicating that you are "negative" for covid. That was two days ago. So, you brag to everyone that you tested "negative" so you can do whatever you wish, including going on a cruise. The cruise folks read your negative test results and allow you to board the ship, along with thousands of others that had their tests two days prior. Guess what?
In order to start working at a job they require a negative test. You received your test from two days prior testing and start work today. For the last two days, you stopped to chat with a neighbor that was walking her dog. You also went grocery shopping. You went out to dinner with some friends. You started work today after being tested two days ago. Guess what?
Testing negative is only good for the time you were tested, minutes before being in contact with anyone else that may be infected.
My opinion is that Covid testing is only good as a diagnostic for doctors to know what to treat, just like testing for the Flu or TB, etc.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
Honestly - probably. In my 73 years I've never had the flu. In realistic terms I never thought I had the flu. When I was sick I simply thought it was a cold, however, it could have been a flu. How many of us went to school with a cold? How many went to work? For most of us we never even thought about a cold or flu. Unless we were really sick life went on. It wasn't until Wuhan shared Covid with us did we ever consider wearing masks.
Easy to say for you, but a family member who was vaccinated got it and ended up in the hospital for four days -- she has asthma which made her vulnerable. The whole point of vaccinations is as much about keeping yourself safe as saving the lives of others.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:12 AM

Spend spend spend.....we bought 144,000 ventilators with taxpayer funds and they're sitting in warehouses. Somebody is making a killing.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
So, you go to CVS and take your test. Two days later, you receive your results and they indicate "Negative." Two days ago, after testing you go shopping at Publix and stop to chat with a friend you bumped into. That friend was infected. You receive your test results in the mail today indicating that you are "negative" for covid. That was two days ago. So, you brag to everyone that you tested "negative" so you can do whatever you wish, including going on a cruise. The cruise folks read your negative test results and allow you to board the ship, along with thousands of others that had their tests two days prior. Guess what?
In order to start working at a job they require a negative test. You received your test from two days prior testing and start work today. For the last two days, you stopped to chat with a neighbor that was walking her dog. You also went grocery shopping. You went out to dinner with some friends. You started work today after being tested two days ago. Guess what?
Testing negative is only good for the time you were tested, minutes before being in contact with anyone else that may be infected.
My opinion is that Covid testing is only good as a diagnostic for doctors to know what to treat, just like testing for the Flu or TB, etc.
And don't forget that the CDC now says you can test positive for up to 12 weeks AFTER you had Covid. Even if you had an asymptomatic case...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
tested, strain, demand, delta, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.