Why is there, such a "need" by so many to get covid tested....

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
because people are idiots. How many asymptomatic people are testing? It's like the tree falling in the forest lol. Lf you test positive for covid, but have no symptoms, does it count? Well, answer is yes - which is why our positivity rate is way up, yet our hospitalizations arent.
agree!
Old 01-04-2022, 10:59 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default covid testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
Because without testing, those who have the antibodies WITHOUT SYMPTOMS wouldn't be counted, adding to the hype. It's long past time for this game to be over.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

I have never been tested and I have no intention of ever being tested unless I have symptoms or am forced to test to get on a cruise, etc.

I don't believe in wasting resources that may be more needed by others.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
The irony is that these people, who likely have no symptoms, are standing in long lines in the freezing cold right next to each other. Talk about a recipe for getting sick when they weren't originally sick. Just head shaking.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:

As WE surely realize people DEMAND something be done. People with the job title, need to do something. Is it justified? Is it cost effective? It is almost a non-asked question. A news interview. Imagine, I don't know what to do so I am doing nothing.
Sometime doing nothing is the right thing to do.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I have never been tested and I have no intention of ever being tested unless I have symptoms or am forced to test to get on a cruise, etc.

I don't believe in wasting resources that may be more needed by others.
PERHAPS, but with covid we do not have any VALID baseline data. We read hear it is up two hundreds of a percent. IT MEANS NOTHING since we do not have accurate, VALID information on what it was.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfey View Post
Because without testing, those who have the antibodies WITHOUT SYMPTOMS wouldn't be counted, adding to the hype. It's long past time for this game to be over.
"It is long time for this game to be over." I agree but it will not end. It has taken on a life of it's own. So many examples. The march of dimes was created to deal with POLIO. Polio was vaccinated out of existence in the US. March of dimes is still here.

Global warming. Am I the only one to notice it is now climate change? Climate has always been changing.

Pollution. You cannot end pollution. A volcanic eruption a forest fire due to lightening all cause pollution

No shortage of other examples.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:28 PM

Could this be analogous to sowing one's wild oats all week and then going to church on Sunday to pray for a crop failure?

That is, could it be that people are irresponsibly exposing themselves (and possibly indirectly exposing others) to Covid, thinking this is acceptable behavior since testing is available?
Old 01-04-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:

What happened to the 500 million at-home test kits Biden said they were sending out?

TV aside, employers, places of business and other venues, or in order participate in an event requires a negative test. And Omicrom is so much more contagious it's spreading like wildfire everywhere. Therefore it makes sense more people want or need to be tested.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:28 PM
Default covid test

Quote:

I don't understand why anyone would want to be tested. Either you are sick or not, and I think I can tell the difference without a test.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachine58 View Post
So omicron is a highly contagious as the measles was, so just figure your going to get it. Good thing is it is milder and has no lung component. Aches, fever 102, chills , etc like flu. Lasts 3-5 days. Good news this variant will build up antibodies against delta the more deadly version. So why test you either got or you don’t, so test is pointless now.
Agree with one exception.

Omicron is a very different virus. No worse than a bad cold for most vaccinated.

As said before, those not are overwhelming hospitals in many locations.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsocrates View Post
The reason to test: if the test is positive, one can take reasonable precautions not to infect others.
The answer is so obvious. Those that won't test clearly don't care who they might infect. They're only thinking about themselves. The sad thing is that kids, many who have not been vaccinated yet, are the ones getting it and ending up in the hospital due to its severity.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,996 Times in 4,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want to be tested. Either you are sick or not, and I think I can tell the difference without a test.
But there are thousands of asymptomatic people in the long lines to get tested. To those that think it is so wonderful to get tested for no reason, consider this: Every year 35-70,000 Americans die from influenza (but apparently no longer now that we can blame COVID). Has anyone, EVER gone and get tested for flu if they had no symptoms???? Did thousands of asymptomatic people go wait in line to get tested for flu???? Did government offices and cruise ships require masks PLUS proof of flu vaccination to enter????? The scale may be a bit larger (how much larger is hard to say since EVERY sniffle is being reported as COVID), but the principle is the same.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,996 Times in 4,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
The answer is so obvious. Those that won't test clearly don't care who they might infect. They're only thinking about themselves. The sad thing is that kids, many who have not been vaccinated yet, are the ones getting it and ending up in the hospital due to its severity.
So......are you suggesting that every person test twice a day, EVERY DAY or be considered "selfish"????
Old 01-04-2022, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts

I didn't read all the posts, but the workforce and the employers require them for both not working sick days and back to work, as well as air transportation, and hospital procedures. Employers won't accept rapid tests for a reason not to come to work. . . PCR test result different issue. . .

So yes, there are many reasons why people have to get PCR tests. How do I know? I ask a positive working person when he had to get PCR tests, and his answer was above. . . he wanted to use the rapid test results but that wasn't acceptable.

An answer i would not expect retirees to be familiar with. . .
Closed Thread

Tags
tested, strain, demand, delta, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.