Peyton Manning and Andrew luck

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Sage
Default Peyton Manning and Andrew luck

For your enjoyment, article in The New York Daily News.

Andrew Luck came along just in time for the Colts, replacing a legend and making it look easy - NY Daily News

It's really a tough act to follow a legend, but Luck seems to be on track, to a great career.

I would like to state,that I think it's a sad statement in sports, when a player is perceived as finished, there is no loyalty for what he has done for a team. Peyton Manning deserved more respect than he received form the Colts owner, Jim Irsay.

Peyton is the greatest, IMHO, as he is arguably the only coach like type player, to play the game. He work habits are legend in game preparation, and he executes with very few exceptions. The Colts stadium is the house that Peyton built, but the Colts had an embarrassment of riches, in being able to land two QB's. Stuff that dreams, are made of.

I felt sorry for Eli in a way, in that no matter what he does, he is always held to the higher standard of Peyton. Now all Peyton has to do is. win another two Super Bowls.

Peyton versus Tom Brady today. it should be a great game.

I will still be rooting for my Giants. GO GIANTS!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 AM

Well said 2bntv...I am the biggest Manning fan around, having moved from CO to Chicago, but having lived in New England, and being from Michigan originally where of course Brady went to college, it's hard not to be a Brady fan. Whew....Have my shirt on for today's game . Should be a good game today with two of the greatest quarterbacks to play the game. Peyton is a hard worker as you or someone else pointed out after their last game which was a blow-out that after a touchdown he went right back to the sidelines and studied the plays. Cutler (not a fan) could learn a thing or two from these greats. Go Broncos!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
For your enjoyment, article in The New York Daily News.

Andrew Luck came along just in time for the Colts, replacing a legend and making it look easy * - NY Daily News

It's really a tough act to follow a legend, but Luck seems to be on track, to a great career.

I would like to state,that I think it's a sad statement in sports, when a player is perceived as finished, there is no loyalty for what he has done for a team. Peyton Manning deserved more respect than he received form the Colts owner, Jim Irsay.

Peyton is the greatest, IMHO, as he is arguably the only coach like type player, to play the game. He work habits are legend in game preparation, and he executes with very few exceptions. The Colts stadium is the house that Peyton built, but the Colts had an embarrassment of riches, in being able to land two QB's. Stuff that dreams, are made of.

I felt sorry for Eli in a way, in that no matter what he does, he is always held to the higher standard of Peyton. Now all Peyton has to do is. win another two Super Bowls.

Peyton versus Tom Brady today. it should be a great game.

I will still be rooting for my Giants. GO GIANTS!!!
Peyton Manning is a great quarterback. He is certainly one of the best today and one of the greatest of all time. Unfortunately he seems to have a bit of trouble when it comes to closing the door. A bit reminiscent of Dan Marino. But at least he does have that one Superbowl where Marino far all his greatness never won the big game.

I'm not sure what you mean as
Quote:
a coach like type player
but as I see it, Tom Brady also thinks like a coach.

Yes, today should be a great game. I'm just glad it's in Foxborough where the temperature will be in the thirties with an eighteen mph wind and it could snow.
Even in Denver, Manning has never been a great bad weather player.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I think what Joe meant is that Peyton is a coach and teacher to his team--a real leader.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Just saw the pre-game and it is snowing in Foxboro.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think what Joe meant is that Peyton is a coach and teacher to his team--a real leader.
Yup. He studies the game plan so much, as he calls all of his plays, and does the appropriate changes as needed. He doesn't need a coach as he knows just as much or more than they do. Brady can do the same thing but I believe he has his plays called for him, most of the time.

Brady has three rings and P. Manning one. Unfortunately, the so called experts rate QB's, on how many rings, they won. Hopefully, he can get 2 more, before he is done.

Should have never lost that game to the Ravens!!! It still bothers me that the defender let someone behind him, with a minute left. AAARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!

I like Peyton but his little brother has one more ring than him and I am a Giants fan. Eli is a cool customer, as they call him "EASY". He never get too excited. A perfect player for the NY market.

Those two Super Bowls against NE were instant classics. I'm sure Pat fans are still smarting form those losses. OMG, If Brady won those 2 games, he would have 5 rings and would be considered by far, to be the greatest. At least by so called experts.

Johnny U would be doing cartwheels in heaven.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I love watching the Giants play. They're one of the secondary reasons we like NFL Ticket. Lions, Peyton, and Saints are the others. Steelers (of course) are the main reason.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I can agree with that. I'm sure Irsay had quite a few sleepless nights trying to decide what to do. He had a responsibility to the franchise and the fans to put the best product out that he could. The Colts had just been through a terrible season without Peyton, and there was no guarantee that the next season would be any better. The Broncos had the luxury of being able to see Manning workout before signing him. The Colts had to make up their minds before he was able to throw the ball. If I was the one who was going to have to write a big bonus check to a player who might not be able to perform...
Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
I'm not sure I can agree with that. I'm sure Irsay had quite a few sleepless nights trying to decide what to do. He had a responsibility to the franchise and the fans to put the best product out that he could. The Colts had just been through a terrible season without Peyton, and there was no guarantee that the next season would be any better. The Broncos had the luxury of being able to see Manning workout before signing him. The Colts had to make up their minds before he was able to throw the ball. If I was the one who was going to have to write a big bonus check to a player who might not be able to perform...
I agree we disagree respectfully.

Peyton Manning is a class act and the fact he didn't say anything, but signed with the Bronco's says a lot, to me. For some owners, it's always the bottom line and or their product. Sorry, I don't buy that he felt tortured, as the Colts tanked that season, to get Luck. The saying was, s**k for Luck". He had to sign Luck for a lot of money too! He was more afraid he would miss out on another franchise type QB.

Football is a business after all, and that has been proven many times over, with players coming and going, as it suits management.

I'll give you Manning wasn't going to teach Luck how to be a great QB and that might have sealed his fate. The Pats did the same thing to Wes Welker by not negotiating a contract with him and then cried the blues, when he left for the Bronco's. No loyalty and respect. Robert Kraft felt tortured, that he left.

Wasn't the Colt's franchise, the one who packed up in the middle of the night and left Baltimore, for Indianapolis. A classy move!

It will interesting to see when Manning gets into the Hall of Fame whether he goes in as a Colt, or Bronco. My guess is a Bronco, for everything that happened when he was shown the door, at the Colts facility.

BTW - I was wrong. Brady and the Pats, gave the Bronco's a whipping yesterday.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Peyton Manning is a class act and the fact he didn't say anything, but signed with the Bronco's says a lot, to me. For some owners, it's always the bottom line and or their product. Sorry, I don't buy that he felt tortured, as the Colts tanked that season, to get Luck. The saying was, s**k for Luck". He had to sign Luck for a lot of money too! He was more afraid he would miss out on another franchise type QB.

Football is a business after all, and that has been proven many times over, with players coming and going, as it suits management.

I'll give you Manning wasn't going to teach Luck how to be a great QB and that might have sealed his fate. The Pats did the same thing to Wes Welker by not negotiating a contract with him and then cried the blues, when he left for the Bronco's. No loyalty and respect. Robert Kraft felt tortured, that he left.

Wasn't the Colt's franchise, the one who packed up in the middle of the night and left Baltimore, for Indianapolis. A classy move!

It will interesting to see when Manning gets into the Hall of Fame whether he goes in as a Colt, or Bronco. My guess is a Bronco, for everything that happened when he was shown the door, at the Colts facility.

Yep, we'll have to disagree.

Granted, Peyton is a class act, and it will be interesting to see what he does if he makes it to the HOF. (I'm sticking with "if", remember Pete Rose)

I'm not sure the Colts tanked that season on purpose. They were just terrible. The team was built around an explosive offense, and Curtis Painter wasn't up to the task.

Don't forget that Baltimore was threatening the elder Irsay with the ever-classy taking of his team through eminent domain, endless litigation, etc. Maybe leaving in the middle of the night was a prudent idea.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Should have never lost that game to the Ravens!!! It still bothers me that the defender let someone behind him, with a minute left. AAARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!
Don't forget that the Patriots lost two Superbowls on fluke plays as well or Brady might have five rings.

I agree however. Winning the Superbowl is a team accomplishment and shouldn't count so much toward a quarterback's rating. I think that many of the experts rate Brady higher because he has not always been surrounded with great talent like Manning has. The Patriots personnel have been inconsistent throughout the years. Manning has always had great receivers, running backs and linemen. He has also been a very consistent system. When he moved from Indianapolis to Denver, he brought the system with him. The team changed to the Manning system. Brady has had to deal with a constantly changing system throughout the years. Belichick changes the system all the time to take advantage of the talent that he has and his opponents weaknesses. No other team does that and I don't know if any other quarterback would be capable of it.

As far as being a coach like player and calling his own plays, yes Brady does have plays called in, but so does Manning. You could see him last night putting his hands up to his ears complaining that he could hear the calls from the sidelines. All of the quarterback have headsets in their helmets these days and Peyton is no exception. But, I don't know of any quarterback that changes the plays at the line of scrimmage as much as Brady does. It seems that on every plays, he's telling his plays to watch this defensive man or change to this to that position. He's the best at reading the defense and adjusting to it.

I'm obviously a big Brady fan, but they are certainly two of the best quarterbacks ever. We are lucky to be living at a time when they are both playing.

The one big advantage that Brady has over Manning is the other B word....Belichick. He is perhaps the greatest coach in the history of the game. Together they account for the Patriots success with an ever changing cast of players.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
The Pats did the same thing to Wes Welker by not negotiating a contract with him and then cried the blues, when he left for the Bronco's. No loyalty and respect. Robert Kraft felt tortured, that he left.
Not quite right. The Pats offered Wes a contract that he rejected and entered free agency. When he did that, the Pats started looking for another slot receiver and negotiated with Amendola. After getting an offer from the Broncos that was $1M less than the Pats offer, Welker came back to the Pats, but they had already committed to Amendola. Too bad for both parties.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
What really surprised me was that the weather had very little to do with it.

Manning threw for over 400 yards again. The guy holds all of the individual records. He seems to be able to do everything except win.

As great as Brady is, I don't think that he'd be anywhere near as great without Belichick. And I don't believe that there are many other quarterbacks that could latch on to the Belichick system as well as Brady. The two were made for each other.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Sage
Default I suspect I am alone here, but just my opinion...

Die hard Pats fan here. I do admit, at the time I was OK with Wes leaving NE. We had two great tight ends for the middle of the field... little did we know one was a murderer, and we had 'little Welker' (number 11)

I certainly was a huge Welker fan and so appreciated his work in NE. What took the sting out of him leaving for me was a couple of huge drops Wes had at HUGE moments in the previous two years playoffs. In big games where teams are so close, it is the big moments that sometimes decide the outcome. To be clear, I am not blaming him for the losses of course, but they were such HUGE moments, I could see our offense moving on...

You may have noticed a couple of drops yesterday also, one HUGE one for an interception that was not Peyton's fault....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6XziIQ5RI]Wes Welker Superbowl XLVI Dropped Pass - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51bWlR28zQ]Welker Key Drop AFC Championship Game - YouTube[/ame]

Was a great game for Pats. They have a tough schedule coming up, so time will tell. I suspect if we continue to play well we may just see Mr Manning and company again, not sure my heart can take it
Old 11-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Yes Manning is a class act and yes the NFL is a business.

The Colts paid Manning $174 million in his 14 years with the Colts loyalty and respect run both ways. I feel that it did run both ways. When asked to throw and show the Colts where he was in rehab in early 2012 Manning said no. That was his choice and I don't blame him as he could not throw at that time or at least that is what his father later said.

You are right football is a business and Manning was paid $26.4 million in 2011 and did not play at all. The Colts would have paid Manning in 2012 $7 million in base salary plus $28 million bonus. So the Colts would be paying $35 million for a QB that they did not know if he could even throw.

Now for Luck's contract he has a 4 year contract for $22.1 million which is $12.9 million less that Manning's 2012 contract. The Colts also have an option for the 5th year on Luck's contract. With Manning's contract the Colts would have continued to be a bad team because they would have not been able to sign any free agents. The Colts presently have 14 free agents in their top 25 players. With the Manning contract and the salary cap this would not have been possible. Yes it is a business of dollars, wins and loss's. Luck's career record is 27 wins and 13 loss's.

As for the Colts tanking to get Luck. The GM, his son, and the coaching staff all lost their jobs and not one of them said that they tanked to get Luck and loose their jobs. As for the s**k for Luck it was sad but true they did s**k and they got Luck. That came from the media and many frustrated fans but not from the organization.

As for the Colts move from Baltimore to Indianapolis. Living in The Villages I have had many conversations with people from Baltimore. Who are now X Brown / Ravens fans with 2 rings. I was a season ticket holder of the Indianapolis Colts for 21 years. When I purchased in The Villages I gave up my 4 season tickets. I have only met one season ticket holder of the Baltimore Colts I felt bad for that guy as he lost his team that he backed. He and I agreed that Robert Irsay was not a good owner. Jim Irsay has his faults but sure runs the organization better than his father.

I am a Colts fan first and a Manning fan second.

Yes we can agree to disagree.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.