Tim Tebow to speak at controversial Dallas church.

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,062 Posts
Default Tim Tebow to speak at controversial Dallas church.

This will probably make the Jets want to trade Tebow. Not sure which team would want him now though after he makes this kind of misstep? http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...s-in-april.ece
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

It's reported that Tebow will play in Canada next year. Could be.... But maybe his long term goal is to be a Preacher?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Sage

Tim Tebow has always been outspoken about his faith. I have come to admire him in that regards. I think the pastor views of that church are controversial. If Tim wants to share his story, it is his right to do so. I never got the impression that he demanded other people feel the same way especially his teammates.

Tim Tebow will have to go to the CFL if he wants to QB as the teams in the NFL see his talent level as something left to be desired. I think he will carve a career in the CFL and then go on to be a preacher.

He is a fine young man, to be admired as a good role model.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This will probably make the Jets want to trade Tebow. Not sure which team would want him now though after he makes this kind of misstep? Tim Tebow to

Holy smokes. Read this.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Sage

Where's the link to read?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Where's the link to read?
It's the link that Tal provided. I was shocked at the description of this guy Jeffress' beliefs.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Sage

I am not shocked but saddened for his views.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Jets will trade him for lack of NFL talent, not because of his beliefs. The reality is that if Tebow had showed the potential of his college days, his beliefs would be irrelevant and where he chose to give witness would be immaterial. Since he hasn't lived up to the hype, he will be traded.

I can't say I think much of his choice to talk at this church, but it is his choice and his business and I will defend his right to talk where he wants and to whom he wants so long as it harms no one else. I don't have to agree with him to admire his willingness to share his beliefs and not back down regardless of any controversy or ridicule.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Sage

He's not "called" to impress folks with his football prowess....I believe he's been given this platform (football fame) to share his faith. Even Jesus went amongst the lowly, the tax-collectors, the folks looked down upon about their society of the day. Jesus calls ALL of his followers to "go out into the world to proclaim His Good News"!! Unfortunately most of them do not do that.....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Jets will trade him for lack of NFL talent, not because of his beliefs. The reality is that if Tebow had showed the potential of his college days, his beliefs would be irrelevant and where he chose to give witness would be immaterial. Since he hasn't lived up to the hype, he will be traded.

I can't say I think much of his choice to talk at this church, but it is his choice and his business and I will defend his right to talk where he wants and to whom he wants so long as it harms no one else. I don't have to agree with him to admire his willingness to share his beliefs and not back down regardless of any controversy or ridicule.
That's true that Tebow's religious beliefs are irrelevant to his playing ball. There are ardent believers in all faiths in the NFL-- Christian, Mormon, Muslim, Scientologist, Jewish, probably even a few Wiccans. If they get the yardage, whom they pray to in the endzone hardly matters. I suppose if they sacrificied a goat beforehand though AND it became common knowledge, that would be going way too far. There are limits to religious freedom.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-21-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I agree with the statement that Christian beliefs have not changed but society has. Christians are under attack all over the world and even here in our american democracy christians are not spared.

Tebow should be congratulated for taking such a strong stand we need more people like him in Congress with his commitmnt to his beliefs

My daughter and her friends are Jet fans and go to all of their home games. Frankly I can't stand the manner in which jet players treat Brett Favre and now Tim Tebow So I hope Tebow leaves.

Overall I wonder why a clean cut guy garners so much dislike in our society while promiscuous and drugged induced celbrities are celebrated?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I agree with the statement that Christian beliefs have not changed but society has. Christians are under attack all over the world and even here in our american democracy christians are not spared.

Tebow should be congratulated for taking such a strong stand we need more people like him in Congress with his commitmnt to his beliefs

My daughter and her friends are Jet fans and go to all of their home games. Frankly I can't stand the manner in which jet players treat Brett Favre and now Tim Tebow So I hope Tebow leaves.

Overall I wonder why a clean cut guy garners so much dislike in our society while promiscuous and drugged induced celbrities are celebrated?
I kind of find it hard to take a "preacher" for Christian beliefs very seriously when he is playing a game that glorifies violence, strategy, deception, etc. I see Colin Kaepernick as being a bit more sincere as his Biblical tattoos are about battling and seem straight from the Old Testament. I just do not see someone who preached loving your brother and sister and turning the other cheek playing football. Maybe the slower much less violent game of baseball. http://www.sfgate.com/news/slideshow...d-up-49428.php
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

There were 31 arrests (according to Google) of NFL players during the off-season. Society has changed----these Players are role models? Wow!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
There were 31 arrests (according to Google) of NFL players during the off-season. Society has changed----these Players are role models? Wow!
justjim: Exactly This world is upside down. People seem to focus more on the few radicals and frauds and not on what benefit to society christianity has given us. Its the message and not the messenger. I admit to being a nominal Catholic but I keep separate the politics of religion from the message. This country was built on those principles and as they fade from our society so does the family value and ethics and morals that has kept us civil and cohesive as a nation Tebow's faith is good example for young people. it is certainly better than what passes for celebrity these days
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Sage

To me, there is clearly an "agenda" of the media who actually report this as some kind of "news". The church is a huge, thriving, Baptist congregation having a strict, fundamentalist pastor who's outspoken in his teachings from the Bible, and is disliked and even hated by morally-permissive opponents because of it.

So WHAT if Tebow wants to “share his story, the difference Jesus Christ has made in his life"???????

This is not controversial. Just because a famous athlete shares his personal faith walk with an audience--that goes to it by choice--does not mean that he suddenly became a clone of that pastor, having every last one of his own thoughts, words and deeds being supplanted by that pastor!

Good Lord. It is getting to be appalling and even scary, how so many are willing to make a vilified, hated caricature out of a person just because they openly profess their Christian faith...and in this case, in a CHURCH no less!

If a famous and admired person cannot profess his faith in a CHURCH--where nobody is forced to go with a gun to their head--we are in deep, deep s*** in this society.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.