Gator

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
I can see your shadow.... you are too close -- and perhaps a wee bit too reckless....
That may be why the gator is smiling!
Old 04-19-2023, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Yes, they can run at 40 mph for short distances. They needed a telephoto lens to get that photo safely.
From the original post:

"I used a 420 mm zoom lens on my camera..."

That is the very definition of a telephoto lens...

And according to Google, it's 35 MPH... Odd, you seem to have issues overestimating the speed of things...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-19-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSS_TV View Post
Nice Picture but these guys need to go when they reach this size. Humans come first !
No, they were here first. Leave them alone and they will be fine.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,232 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Nice Picture but these guys need to go when they reach this size. Humans come first !
Not really, we're invading his space.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspcgenius View Post
i can see your shadow.... You are too close -- and perhaps a wee bit too reckless....
i agree. I'm no photo analyst but doesn't the atv shadow bely the distances mentioned?
Old 04-19-2023, 07:58 PM

I don’t think it’s my shadow or that of my ATV. I think something got in front of my lens. My glove perhaps or the cord that holds my lens cap…. I don’t know.

Look at these other photos from that sighting…..do you see sun ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	98010   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	98011  
Old 04-19-2023, 08:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Beach time for this big ole gator.
One of the interesting things about this website is how a person can post an interesting picture, as you did, for others to enjoy, but not asking for any admonishment, advice, or even help with your photography skills ! It's wonderful when anyone ASKS for advice, help, or the experiences of others, but your post is not the only example of someone who is most likely a mature adult, capable of determining risk/reward, and not in need of, or asking for, parenting. Yet, notice how many feel obligated to tell you exactly what you should, or should not do, tell you how close or far away you "should" be for your photos, etc. etc. etc. Don't know if you are a native, perhaps so, perhaps not, but as an adult you probably don't need to be supervised and advised. The joke would be if the "parents" who chimed in, rather than complimenting you for sharing the photo, probably came from some far northern state and no nothing about 'gators....LOL ! Careful of those types, they will tell you to run in a zig zag pattern.... not good advice...LOL ! Another example, someone will share an interesting experience, say paddle boarding, and sure enough someone on here will give their own, unasked for, opinion, lol. They will post, "I'd never do that, you can't tell what is in that water, there can be snakes, and gators", when the person just wanted to share a new experience in case someone else might want to try it. People sometimes can't stop being parents....LOL... maybe that's it ? Or, maybe they think other adults actually like being cautioned about this and that ? Who knows ! Sure glad my 84 year old brother in law, and 82 year old sister did not post about what a fantastic time they had sky diving for the first time over Easter with their grown children. Bet that would have had this TOTV's on fire about how they should not be going that "at their age".... LOL !
Old 04-19-2023, 09:03 PM
Platinum member
Default Just the numbers

I believe in math. Op said he was 50 feet away.
Another poster said they run at 35 mph therefore the gator had the ability to cover said distance in 1 second. In my own life i will yell " watch out" to anyone i see in danger.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230419_215116.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	98013  
Old 04-20-2023, 04:08 AM

Common sense has to play a part somewhere when you encounter an alligator. Stay out of their way and do not feed them.

Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.

Joseph Stalin
Old 04-20-2023, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
One of the interesting things about this website is how a person can post an interesting picture, as you did, for others to enjoy, but not asking for any admonishment, advice, or even help with your photography skills ! It's wonderful when anyone ASKS for advice, help, or the experiences of others, but your post is not the only example of someone who is most likely a mature adult, capable of determining risk/reward, and not in need of, or asking for, parenting. Yet, notice how many feel obligated to tell you exactly what you should, or should not do, tell you how close or far away you "should" be for your photos, etc. etc. etc. Don't know if you are a native, perhaps so, perhaps not, but as an adult you probably don't need to be supervised and advised. The joke would be if the "parents" who chimed in, rather than complimenting you for sharing the photo, probably came from some far northern state and no nothing about 'gators....LOL ! Careful of those types, they will tell you to run in a zig zag pattern.... not good advice...LOL ! Another example, someone will share an interesting experience, say paddle boarding, and sure enough someone on here will give their own, unasked for, opinion, lol. They will post, "I'd never do that, you can't tell what is in that water, there can be snakes, and gators", when the person just wanted to share a new experience in case someone else might want to try it. People sometimes can't stop being parents....LOL... maybe that's it ? Or, maybe they think other adults actually like being cautioned about this and that ? Who knows ! Sure glad my 84 year old brother in law, and 82 year old sister did not post about what a fantastic time they had sky diving for the first time over Easter with their grown children. Bet that would have had this TOTV's on fire about how they should not be going that "at their age".... LOL !
I think the unwelcome advice and admonishment comes from many Villagers who have grown old and very risk averse. These are the same people who partied like crazy when they were young but now all they see is “Danger, Danger, Danger!” It is just part of the aging process for many of us as we age. We also see that things are not as good as they used to be and all the young people are lazy. Who can forget the 1960’s when many of us were running around like crazy and all the oldsters were saying we were ruining the country. Now we are saying the same thing. My brother who has lived in Jackson Hole, Wyoming for over 40 years as a ski professional always likes to quote a local saying that goes “If your life gets boring, risk it!”
Old 04-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,232 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
Another poster said they run at 35 mph therefore the gator had the ability to cover said distance in 1 second. In my own life i will yell " watch out" to anyone i see in danger.
35 mph ? Try 11 mph on land and 20 mph in water..... google is your friend.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
It's "UP TO" 35 mph. Plus, you have to get up to speed. They don't go 0-35 in an instant... You have plenty of time to get out of the way...

Math can be hard at times...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-20-2023, 03:28 PM

Thank You for writing that.

Yes, very responsible adult here. Just wanted to share a photo which I thought folks would find interesting.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Thank You for writing that.

Yes, very responsible adult here. Just wanted to share a photo which I thought folks would find interesting.
Most of us found it quite interesting...

Ignore the haters...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-23-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Safer to have ONE big gator in a pond…keeps numbers down as smaller ones leave. STAY AWAY! They were here first. It’s their home, too. You’re obviously not from Florida.

Tags
gator, beach, time, big, ole

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.