Hello folks who own pools

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Platinum member
Smile Seldom swam in the Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have had a pool for the last 15 years, and though I rarely use it, I like to look at it. It takes the place of living on a lake.
I've had a pool at my house in Tampa for 40 years. I've had to re-tile it and change out the marcite for diamond bright. I've had to completely change out the sand filter once and the pool pump twice......... and I've seldom set foot in it.

Years ago we had a few pool parties, mostly for the grandchildren.

I currently have plans to heat the pool and put in a lift so I can use it for physical therapy since my spine surgery.

There are two personal pools on the very short block where I stay in The Villages. I have NEVER seen anyone using them.

In spite of all of the expense and inconvenience, I have to agree with starflyte1. It is very soothing to sit on my pool deck (screened enclosure for the pool - which I've also replaced twice) while watching the birds coming to the feeders in my back yard, and just relax.

It can also be very pretty at night to turn on the underwater light in the pool and watch the reflections of the ripples in the water.

There can be different concepts of the "use" of a pool.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 PM

We have had a pool in a previous home when our children were growing up and loved it. Once they "left the nest" we did not use it very much. Here in The Villages with a pool .2 tenths of a mile from our home and we do not have to maintain it is a much better solution. We also love to meet people and we meet lots of people at the pool and talk for sometimes hours with them. We have met some in the pool and went out to dinner with them that night. Many friendships can be born by enjoying the pool with others. I laugh at the people that say they would not use the neighborhood pools. To each his own!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:24 PM

I have a pool up north. Every time I stand on my deck looking down at my pool all I see are $ Bills.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Sage

One of our must haves when we built our home was a pool. We put in a fairly large one, 16x32'. We have lived here almost 3 years and We use the pool daily,,7-8 months out of the year. It is solar heated. The months we can't swim we sit by it and read or just relax. I would never have a house without a pool. Just love walking out our back doors and jumping in!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have had our pool three years and will never be without one....It changed our home into a resort .....Get the largest you can afford and an even larger birdcage......You'll love it .....
Lloyd Bridges Fumar
Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
One of our must haves when we built our home was a pool. We put in a fairly large one, 16x32'. We have lived here almost 3 years and We use the pool daily,,7-8 months out of the year. It is solar heated. The months we can't swim we sit by it and read or just relax. I would never have a house without a pool. Just love walking out our back doors and jumping in!
Exactly as we feel. Although our pool is only 12x24 (est), there is nothing like walking out your slider right into your own private pool. Would never live in FL without owning a pool. Ours is also solar heated and we swim end of March to end of October.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:59 AM

We put in a pool 4 years ago.Best investment we ever made.Except for the 4 months that its cold we are in our pool every day if its sunny out.Nothing nicer then to jump in the pool after a hot day on the golf course.have no regrets what so ever in having a pool built.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:56 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgg7933 View Post
We have had a pool in a previous home when our children were growing up and loved it. Once they "left the nest" we did not use it very much. Here in The Villages with a pool .2 tenths of a mile from our home and we do not have to maintain it is a much better solution. We also love to meet people and we meet lots of people at the pool and talk for sometimes hours with them. We have met some in the pool and went out to dinner with them that night. Many friendships can be born by enjoying the pool with others.
Quote:
I laugh at the people that say they would not use the neighborhood pools
. To each his own!
I must be one of those people you laugh at. I don't use the neighborhood pools. They are great for those who like them. I like having my own pool.
I like the pool to relax and enjoy some quiet time and do a little exercising.
After 10 years, we don't use our pool as much as we did in the beginning, but I still love it. We have solar heat so we can use it longer.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 AM

The thing I like best about our pool is the space between our pool and the house. I have 10 feet of concrete deck outside the lanai to pull out chairs tables and recliners.
I have 10 chairs, 2 tables, BBQ and a tv and it doesn't feel crowded.
If I were building a pool the only change I would make is to put in a rectangular pool so I could have a motorized pool cover to keep the heat in in the winter months.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,479 Times in 712 Posts

A lot of enjoyment of having a pool is how much fun visitors have splashing or lazing around. Also neighborhood pool party get togethers. And, of course, it's also nice to just enjoy it yourself.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Smile Love the pool!

Moved here full time in 2012. First order of
Business was install pool & birdcage. We added
Solar heat & gas heat also. We figure it's like
Having money in bank only better! Definitely adds
Value to house. It really is nice to have private pool
we aren't comfortable going to community pools.
Maintenance isn't bad. We only vacuumed 2x a year
So far, and add salt occasionally. Solar heat
Is great, and with the option to turn on the gas heater
Is always a plus. I also designed the pool with a nice
Swim platform on one side, a seat opposite the 3
Waterfalls, and the steps extra long for sitting.
Good luck w/your decision.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

Anyone have problems with hairline cracks around pool and deck and if so, what did you
do about it?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM

No one has addressed the dog issue. Will my two dogs be constantly jumping into the pool, then coming in to the house wet? Is there a solution to that problem?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

My 14-pound terrior mix dog shows no interest in the pool even when we are in it. We did not ever encourage her to get in.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Love it use it a lot, if I was to build or buy again, there must be a pool.

We are completing a pool right now. I am glad you say you use yours.

I really value your opinion. I am sorry I was insensitive on a thread about plant based diets. I have felt bad since.

I will try to do better. You deserve better.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.