Have paydays in sports gotten obnoxious?

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2022, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,174 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefootputt View Post
Paul Samuelson, U of Chicago economist, coined the phrase “dollar votes”. People vote with their dollars. Athletes would not be paid these amounts unless there was revenue to support it. It is what people perceive as value. The same people who balk at paying an additional two millage increase in taxes in order to pay teachers more don’t hesitate to spend $15-$20 for beers at the stadium. The same people who object to assistance for mental health continue to buy their favorite player’s $150 jersey. They are exercising their votes on their priorities by using their dollars.
Like I said, " our values are out of whack "
Old 08-29-2022, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
Worse yet are the ridiculous sums paid to CEO's! Don't ever tell me that they "worked hard for it"... There's NO AMOUNT of work worth the kind of money they are paid. Athletes shouldn't be either - but they are at least putting their physical health condition on-the-line. TV/movie stars are another group of overpaid people. How did this world ever get this skewed out of line????
"How did the system get skewed out of line"? Well, one big factor is the changes in taxes and tax brackets that began evolving in the 1950s for the benefit of the more wealthy. Any country's government can control the amount of greedy overreach by way of its tax law. Another factor is social values of fairness. Around 1980 just like in the movie, America adopted a "greed is good" philosophy, which persists today (and can be seen right here in this forum)

Not all countries SHARE the US deification of GREED. This may have changed, but around 1990 Japanese CEOs would be SHAMED in society if their salary was more than 10 times that of their average worker. Recently Japanese citizens returned lost paper money to the bank in that nuclear accident. It shows big differences in attitudes in different countries. Maybe Japanese people have greater respect for their laws and their fellow citizens?

Jingoism is a belief in EXTREME patriotism and that one's own country IS the best at everything.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,646 Times in 3,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Where does it end??? A surgeon saves lives and makes peanuts compared to professional sports.... Our values are "out of whack "
Have gotten? Where have you been for the past few decades? According to Minimum salary: - BR Bullpen

The average salary for a Major League Baseball player was $44,676 in 1975.

Only five years later in 1980, the average was $143,756 - more than three TIMES what it was 5 years prior.

Five years after that in 1985? $371,571 - almost twice what it was five years prior.

Fast forward to 2022: the AVERAGE salary for MLB players is $4,414,184. That's almost 100 times what it was back in 1975.

Check on any politician's annual paid salary, any teacher, police officer or firefighter, any administrative assistant in an office, any minimum wage earner, any restaurant manager - and you won't find those kinds of salary jumps.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
"How did the system get skewed out of line"? Well, one big factor is the changes in taxes and tax brackets that began evolving in the 1950s for the benefit of the more wealthy. Any country's government can control the amount of greedy overreach by way of its tax law. Another factor is social values of fairness. Around 1980 just like in the movie, America adopted a "greed is good" philosophy, which persists today (and can be seen right here in this forum)

Not all countries SHARE the US deification of GREED. This may have changed, but around 1990 Japanese CEOs would be SHAMED in society if their salary was more than 10 times that of their average worker. Recently Japanese citizens returned lost paper money to the bank in that nuclear accident. It shows big differences in attitudes in different countries. Maybe Japanese people have greater respect for their laws and their fellow citizens?

Jingoism is a belief in EXTREME patriotism and that one's own country IS the best at everything.
Yep, that post is right again

Our country, which BTW IS pretty much the best at everything (have some jingoism), would be so much greater if it weren't for those darn corporations and the rich people. They've contributed nothing to the building and growth of America, they've employed nobody, they've put forth no venture capital, and of course, they pay no taxes.

Give us a break.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,145 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
The answer is simple; if you are dissatisfied with the operating arrangements simply quit endorsing them; don't watch/attend the games or buy the endorsed products. Team owners are keenly aware of these factors. College sports are a good alternative if you need a sports fix, or better yet, get outdoors and do something with your family. Just saying.
To add to this, in the next couple weeks, notice the people, especially in the "student
section" in those college football stadiums.

Some of those tickets go for $150,00 -$250,00 EVERY WEEK and they all insist that their student loans be cancelled.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefootputt View Post
Paul Samuelson, U of Chicago economist, coined the phrase “dollar votes”. People vote with their dollars. Athletes would not be paid these amounts unless there was revenue to support it. It is what people perceive as value. The same people who balk at paying an additional two millage increase in taxes in order to pay teachers more don’t hesitate to spend $15-$20 for beers at the stadium. The same people who object to assistance for mental health continue to buy their favorite player’s $150 jersey. They are exercising their votes on their priorities by using their dollars.
Is it really THEIR priorities or are they falling prey to massive propaganda created by massive ad campaigns? Up north people are often practically mesmerized by devotion to their city's pro football team. There are fewer activities available up north in the winter (football season). Often many people approach near insanity levels of devotion to THEIR pro football team. They act like they THEMSELVES win or lose depending on THEIR team's outcome on Sunday. They MUST have the clothing and other paraphernalia of THEIR chosen team. Then, on Monday at work, most conversations are about that near-holy team.

In the South, where there is more to do in the winter, pro Football teams like the Tampa Bay Bucs have less of an avidly insane following. Personally, I have always found spectator sports to be greatly lacking compared to participation sports. I actually feel that if Tom Brady came to watch me play softball, I MIGHT go to watch him play football. And incidentally, I find pro baseball to be so s-l-o-w that it becomes boring. They need to record the game and cut out the slow parts, then it might be interesting. I stopped watching pro baseball on TV in the 70s. So, naturally, pro athletes do NOT get their HIGH salaries from me. Sorry, Tom !
Old 08-29-2022, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Is it really THEIR priorities or are they falling prey to massive propaganda created by massive ad campaigns? Up north people are often practically mesmerized by devotion to their city's pro football team. There are fewer activities available up north in the winter (football season). Often many people approach near insanity levels of devotion to THEIR pro football team. They act like they THEMSELVES win or lose depending on THEIR team's outcome on Sunday. They MUST have the clothing and other paraphernalia of THEIR chosen team. Then, on Monday at work, most conversations are about that near-holy team.

In the South, where there is more to do in the winter, pro Football teams like the Tampa Bay Bucs have less of an avidly insane following. Personally, I have always found spectator sports to be greatly lacking compared to participation sports. I actually feel that if Tom Brady came to watch me play softball, I MIGHT go to watch him play football. And incidentally, I find pro baseball to be so s-l-o-w that it becomes boring. They need to record the game and cut out the slow parts, then it might be interesting. I stopped watching pro baseball on TV in the 70s. So, naturally, pro athletes do NOT get their HIGH salaries from me. Sorry, Tom !
I think you got it right!

It's escapism, no different than the movies or even a good book.
People go to Star Trek conventions and dress up like Mr. Spock or Star Wars and dress up as Chewbacca. The more people perceive their life as sucking, the more they need to escape
Old 08-29-2022, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,236 Times in 5,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Our country, which BTW IS pretty much the best at everything (have some jingoism), would be so much greater if it weren't for those darn corporations and the rich people. They've contributed nothing to the building and growth of America, they've employed nobody, they've put forth no venture capital, and of course, they pay no taxes.

Give us a break.
Very well said. It is those rich people who make investments that provide lots of our jobs but so many think they should not be rewarded for their investments.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Where does it end??? A surgeon saves lives and makes peanuts compared to professional sports.... Our values are "out of whack "
If team owners, leagues and associations didn’t think these people were worth the money they wouldn’t pay it. Yes, there are people that perform services that are much more important than what athletes do but you have to understand that when Tom Brady throws a pass millions of people are watching. Millions of people are buying merchandise. Millions of people are buying cable television channels to watch him. The people that own the team are making billions because of him and the other players. A surgeon deals with one person at a time. When 70 million people want to tune in to watch a surgeon at work and buy a shirt with his name on the back, when the hospital gains billions because of the surgeon then he’ll get paid the same.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

It’s about tv money and gambling. Only going to grow.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Have gotten? Where have you been for the past few decades? According to Minimum salary: - BR Bullpen

Only five years later in 1980, the average was $143,756 - more than three TIMES what it was 5 years prior.

Five years after that in 1985? $371,571 - almost twice what it was five years prior.

Fast forward to 2022: the AVERAGE salary for MLB players is $4,414,184. That's almost 100 times what it was back in 1975.

Check on any politician's annual paid salary, any teacher, police officer or firefighter, any administrative assistant in an office, any minimum wage earner, any restaurant manager - and you won't find those kinds of salary jumps.
None of those other people you mentioned have TV contracts...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-29-2022, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Give us a break.
No to mention that Japan was THE definition of "Jingoism" throughout history...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-29-2022, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:

Lord knows that the SEC (South East Conference) of college football has no rabid fans...

They all must be out doing other things...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-29-2022, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,934 Times in 925 Posts

just take sure that you don't watch any of the sports on tv, don't subscribe to ESPN, don't buy tickets to the games, and don't buy the merchandise. Then you won't be participating in any of the payments to benefit any of the athletes of whose income you are jealous. Because if you are doing any of those, you are enjoying the benefits, paying the system, and being hypocritical for deriving the entertainment while criticizing them for making their money while doing so.

sportsguy
Old 08-29-2022, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,237 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

Chalk it up to good marketing by MLB. The players union works hard to get their members (MLB players) a cut of the sports revenues/profits. The elite players that help generate the most fan interest, and corresponding revenues, get the biggest slice of the pie. The professions you are trying to compare to professional athletes are either paid by taxpayers or are relatively menial low skill workers that perform a basic function that doesn’t correlate directly to producing revenue and or profits (with the possible exception of a restaurant manager).

The highest paid state employees in many states are the coaches of the football or basketball programs of the State’s Flagship University (often making multiple times the state’s governors salary) because they want to attract the best possible talent and have a winning program, which results in huge amounts of revenue. Make no mistake, that highly paid coach has no union protection, like many other state employees, and if the team he coaches doesn’t win and generate revenue, his ass will be fired in a heartbeat.
Closed Thread

Tags
sports, values, professional, compared, peanuts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.