Have paydays in sports gotten obnoxious?

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2022, 04:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
You can "demand" anything you want, convincing some one else to pay you is another thing, its called competition, if you can play what is a game for children at a very high level your abilities are worth a lot as an entertainer , watching on TV/or video doesn't give a good appreciation of the physical abilities of the athlete what ever the worth financially, CEOs are put in place by ownership in an effort to keep the business profitable, the only reason it can exist, of course there are examples of dumb ,ill-considered moves on the part of CEOs of large corporation,( in hindsight) Say what you will about capitalism but it has allowed for creation of the wealthiest period in human history, yes I know not for everyone, (is there a government program that supplies crying towels? ) Much of this is due to the ability to manage all the variables, insight into what is and the creative abilities of good management. A top CEO is worth much more than an entertainer to the people who hold equity in the business, those who make their living working for the business.
To me that is not always true. I negotiated a contract for a local union with CBS out of New York. I entered it with a bad hand due to the fact that other locals had agreed to a figure that I found unacceptable. It was a 3-year contract the first year with 0 increase. The argument on management side was that the local station was not generating enough revenue. I negotiated
for some other provisions and refused to sign a 3-year contract, so I would not be tied with the other local.
Now the issue I have with the CEO, is he is responsible for the entire company and if that's the case, then he should have been responsible for the New York market. While CBS was claiming poverty in New York the CEO salary was $85 million that year.
Look I'm not saying you shouldn't fight for what you believe your worth, but everyone should be allowed to demand what they want.
There was a line from of my favor movies titled Other People's Money: I play the game you make as much money as you can and who ever dies with the most money wins.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:16 AM
Veteran member

The career of your average professional player is probably less then ten years. Then they have to find a new career. The vast majority are not set for life and have to figure out how to make an income for many decades to come.

Another big reason overlooked is that the courts got involved and changed how free agency works.

nytimes.com
Old 08-30-2022, 05:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
To me that is not always true. I negotiated a contract for a local union with CBS out of New York. I entered it with a bad hand due to the fact that other locals had agreed to a figure that I found unacceptable. It was a 3-year contract the first year with 0 increase. The argument on management side was that the local station was not generating enough revenue. I negotiated
for some other provisions and refused to sign a 3-year contract, so I would not be tied with the other local.
Now the issue I have with the CEO, is he is responsible for the entire company and if that's the case, then he should have been responsible for the New York market. While CBS was claiming poverty in New York the CEO salary was $85 million that year.
Look I'm not saying you shouldn't fight for what you believe your worth, but everyone should be allowed to demand what they want.
There was a line from of my favor movies titled Other People's Money: I play the game you make as much money as you can and who ever dies with the most money wins.
Your "demands" were "negotiated" the CEO surely negotiated his contract as well , making Demands sound forceful, powerful, but it comes down to what leverage you have, how far the other side can or will go, some how some way for whatever reason the CEO convinced the right people that he/she was the right choice at that price.,, I demand that someone pay off my mortgage!,, I demand that I am offered a new acceptable Vehicle at a price I find acceptable,, ( but I won't hold my breath)
Old 08-30-2022, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,156 Times in 890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It’s a business, revenue is generated through ticket sales, sponsors, television contracts, merchandise sales, etc…. The elite athletes that are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money are getting paid because their popularity generates huge amounts of revenues that make money for the team owners who pay their salaries. The team owners don’t pay the athletes because they like them, it’s a business decision based on economics. Don’t blame the athletes if you think they are overpaid, blame society for putting them on such a pedestal. The same can be said for many Hollywood actress and actresses, musicians, etc…. It’s also why most male athletes make significantly more than females, society is way more willing to pay to watch and support most sports played by males. If female sports generated the same revenue as male sports, the pay of the athletes would reflect that.
Your statement reminded me of tennis salaries. Female tennis players can be a huge audience draw, so I get that they are getting equal pay to men, but my huge issue is the fact that they only have to win 2 sets in the major tournaments versus 3 for the men. MAKES NO SENSE!! They want equal pay, play equal amount of tennis. I'm an athlete and I know it's not because they can't. So bizarre and unfair IMO. But as a side note I would prefer they all just stuck to having to win 2 sets in all tournaments. Who has the patience to watch 5 sets when it sometimes takes 5 hours?! Not me.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:50 AM

The odd thing is the left wants to tax the rich, by that they mean CEO and business owners. None of them want to tax TV, movie stars, or rich athletes.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran from MI View Post
It's not just Professional Athletes, CEO's and Movie Stars. $93BILLION for the Artemis Space Program!

NASA will spend $93 billion on Artemis moon program by 2025, report estimates | Space
93 billion for what? Bragging rights, we can get to the moon?
Instead how about using that money to help our veterans our homeless and for better healthcare for everyone in this country. Now that would be something to brag about.
As far as what professional athletes should get paid ? Most will not have a very long career do to injury so they should be compensated for that but as to how much they should get paid? I don’t know. How many millions should a serial massage therapist sexual predator get paid in the National Felony League?

Last edited by rrtjp; 08-30-2022 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-30-2022, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,233 Times in 2,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Your statement reminded me of tennis salaries. Female tennis players can be a huge audience draw, so I get that they are getting equal pay to men, but my huge issue is the fact that they only have to win 2 sets in the major tournaments versus 3 for the men. MAKES NO SENSE!! They want equal pay, play equal amount of tennis. I'm an athlete and I know it's not because they can't. So bizarre and unfair IMO. But as a side note I would prefer they all just stuck to having to win 2 sets in all tournaments. Who has the patience to watch 5 sets when it sometimes takes 5 hours?! Not me.
I prefer watching women’s tennis. The mens serves are so powerful that there frequently aren’t any good long volleys, the womens game often has very long volleys which are way more fun to watch than men serving back and forth. Perhaps that’s why men play the best of 5 instead of 3? But that is a great example of a sport with close to equal viewership and pay for both sexes.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

I wouldn’t say a surgeon makes peanuts for pay but I get your meaning. A surgeon or Dr. saves your life & a athletic plays a game. I agree it’s way out of wack!
Old 08-30-2022, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Default CEO are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
Your "demands" were "negotiated" the CEO surely negotiated his contract as well , making Demands sound forceful, powerful, but it comes down to what leverage you have, how far the other side can or will go, some how some way for whatever reason the CEO convinced the right people that he/she was the right choice at that price.,, I demand that someone pay off my mortgage!,, I demand that I am offered a new acceptable Vehicle at a price I find acceptable,, ( but I won't hold my breath)
In most cases CEOs of companies of the size of CBS do not negotiate. it's a long food chain of people under them who keep their position and even elevate by how low they can keep the employee's gains to a minimal. By the time you get to the table you're usually dealing with a person from human resources and a couple of lawyers. I have a contract with the signature of twenty-seven names, that I faced across the table, and I can guarantee none of them were CEOs. Many of the members I represented had their own agents and never adhered to the contract. The contracts were to obligate the union to supply an employee to the employer at the price negotiated. If they wanted a specific member, they were on their own. Athletes are people and go through the same process, just on a larger scale. CEO's in most cases keep their hands clean and have underlings deal with it. Both sides have their lawyers or agents, and both have an idea what the parameters are. You push them passed theirs and they push you passed yours the hope is that that you can meet somewhere. I've had negotiations last a day and one that lasted months.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
The career of your average professional player is probably less then ten years. Then they have to find a new career. The vast majority are not set for life and have to figure out how to make an income for many decades to come.

Another big reason overlooked is that the courts got involved and changed how free agency works.

nytimes.com

Regarding figuring out how to make a living after sports: Maybe this would be less of a problem of the majority of athletes actually finished college before jumping into the pros for their less than 10 year career. Hell, they can now get $10,000 to help them do so.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Regarding figuring out how to make a living after sports: Maybe this would be less of a problem of the majority of athletes actually finished college before jumping into the pros for their less than 10 year career. Hell, they can now get $10,000 to help them do so.
This is on the verge of becoming political. First in almost all cases if a person reaches the pros, they been in collage under a full scholarship. Also, I believe there are restrictions who can qualify for the forgiven loan program.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,156 Times in 890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I prefer watching women’s tennis. The mens serves are so powerful that there frequently aren’t any good long volleys, the womens game often has very long volleys which are way more fun to watch than men serving back and forth. Perhaps that’s why men play the best of 5 instead of 3? But that is a great example of a sport with close to equal viewership and pay for both sexes.
Good points.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post

nytimes.com
That's probably correct for US football, baseball, and basketball. I'm not sure about soccer? But, pro tennis players and golfers probably have careers longer than 10 years on average.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
just take sure that you don't watch any of the sports on tv, don't subscribe to ESPN, don't buy tickets to the games, and don't buy the merchandise. Then you won't be participating in any of the payments to benefit any of the athletes of whose income you are jealous. Because if you are doing any of those, you are enjoying the benefits, paying the system, and being hypocritical for deriving the entertainment while criticizing them for making their money while doing so.

sportsguy
You just don't get it, I'm a big Duke fan, I don't begrudge salaries of sports, only wishing that our values would change and give educators, and our doctors the compensation that they deserve which is MORE than they receive now.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
30 years ago, when I was gung ho about tennis, I would watch every point of a 5 set match. Now I may tape the final and fast forward through the change-overs and stop at a service break and watch that closely. Or the set tie breaker if there are no service breaks. Then if it goes to a 5th set, I will watch every point
Closed Thread

Tags
sports, values, professional, compared, peanuts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.