Tiger in the Masters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Ignorance of the rules (or laws) is not a defense. Had this not been Tiger, the perp would have been DQ'd. Tiger cannot disqualify himself but he can withdraw from the tournament. I hope the commentators will clam up about it and concentrate on the leaders and the other stories developing. Go Freddie!!!
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
Ignorance of the rules (or laws) is not a defense. Had this not been Tiger, the perp would have been DQ'd. Tiger cannot disqualify himself but he can withdraw from the tournament. I hope the commentators will clam up about it and concentrate on the leaders and the other stories developing. Go Freddie!!!
I disagree, If this had been anyone else, I have faith in the professionalism of the Masters committee that they would have given the same ruling for anyone. Don't let Tigers ability nor race color you fairness.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
Well said, Irish Rover. Let's see some golf!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoops View Post
Well said, Irish Rover. Let's see some golf!
I agree with that, but don't blame this fiasco on Tiger.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 PM

I was shocked that they take calls from people watching at home, how silly is that... Can we call the NFL when the Super Bowl is being played ....

Last edited by mrsyarbie; 04-13-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Don't blame Tiger. My latest thoughts. The rule committee knew yesterday they were going to oppose a 2 stroke penalty. They knew if they imposed yesterday his starting time would have been earlier. If his tee time was earlier he would not have had as much time on Live TV coverage. So they decided to impose the penalty today with a later tee time and more $$ in the pockets with a higher TV rating....
Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndlion View Post
Don't blame Tiger. My latest thoughts. The rule committee knew yesterday they were going to oppose a 2 stroke penalty. They knew if they imposed yesterday his starting time would have been earlier. If his tee time was earlier he would not have had as much time on Live TV coverage. So they decided to impose the penalty today with a later tee time and more $$ in the pockets with a higher TV rating....
I tell ya this: What you say here makes more sense than blaming Tiger for the confusion. Most things today are about money, yet some try to find fault with the players instead of the management and I feel that is the wrong way to lean.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default He lacks integrity and courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I disagree, If this had been anyone else, I have faith in the professionalism of the Masters committee that they would have given the same ruling for anyone. Don't let Tigers ability nor race color you fairness.
There you go again. The one word that applies to this entire situation is contained in your first sentence and the the one word that has no application is race.

The entire golfing world has shown nothing but adoration for this guy's golfing acumen. They have made it clear he is golf. So when it comes to this rule violation this top of the top PROFESSIONAL PLAYER all of a sudden he did not understand the rule. Please. In my neck of the woods the response would be ""Do you think I just fell out of a tree? Finally please find a better argument then your a racist"" because it is getting so so old

I still like you. But face it tiger should have honored the integrity of this game we all love called golf and emulated Bobby Jones. I am once again disappointed in this player because he apparently lacks integrity and courage.

I opine you decide
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There you go again. The one word that applies to this entire situation is contained in your first sentence and the the one word that has no application is race.

The entire golfing world has shown nothing but adoration for this guy's golfing acumen. They have made it clear he is golf. So when it comes to this rule violation this top of the top PROFESSIONAL PLAYER all of a sudden he did not understand the rule. Please. In my neck of the woods the response would be ""Do you think I just fell out of a tree? Finally please find a better argument then your a racist"" because it is getting so so old

I still like you. But face it tiger should have honored the integrity of this game we all love called golf and emulated Bobby Jones. I am once again disappointed in this player because he apparently lacks integrity and courage.

I opine you decide
Well, I disagree with your opine totally, If you can blame this on Tiger, you have a personal reason. Tiger is following the instruction of the Masters Committee to the tee. To expect him to defy their decision would be disrespectful at the least. I don't know why, i.e. his race, talent, marital problems, or whatever, but something is clouding the thought process of anyone blaming this issue on Tiger. I give you three possibilities of your prejudice against Tiger, so pick one or come up with a fourth, but please don't blame Tiger for following the instructions of the Masters Committee.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Well, I disagree with your opine totally, If you can blame this on Tiger, you have a personal reason. Tiger is following the instruction of the Masters Committee to the tee. To expect him to defy their decision would be disrespectful at the least. I don't know why, i.e. his race, talent, marital problems, or whatever, but something is clouding the thought process of anyone blaming this issue on Tiger. I give you three possibilities of your prejudice against Tiger, so pick one or come up with a fourth, but please don't blame Tiger for following the instructions of the Masters Committee.
I agree, just like you can not blame Arnold for 1958. Both Tiger and Arnold abbided by the decision of the Masters committee.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndlion View Post
I agree, just like you can not blame Arnold for 1958. Both Tiger and Arnold abbided by the decision of the Masters committee.

Exactly. I am so sorry that negative thoughts come into my mind when someone blames the player for the decision of the referee. There are several things I could condemn Tiger for, but this is not the situation to flame him for. On the other side of the coin, I for one think he is the best golfer the world has even had to date.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
golfingnut: Can you say "confirmation bias", because that is exactly what your aforemention comments amount to. Your thinking is too linear. He didn't agree with the type penalty assessed so he must be a racist.

I would have reacted in the same manner if the situation involved my favorite player Fred Couples. The Committee ruled in his favor because they know he brings in a lot of money to the golf industry. I am a purest and that explains my sole and only reason. I am not a racist ,admire his talent and ignore his private life as I do with family friends, etc live and let live. Please be more careful with throwing that racist label around. It isn't fair nor is it proper
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
Tiger (#1 player in the world) knows the rules. He CLEARLY broke a rule of golf. He should disqualify himself. The precedent was set by Bobby Jones when he called an official over because he THOUGHT his balled moved. The official asked if anyone saw the ball move. Noone did. The Official told Bobby Jones that they should be no penalty. However, Bobby Jones said he would take the penalty because he was not sure. He LOST the major by one shot.

This decision is great for the ratings this week. It is all about the money. How many more people will watch because of this.

The rule the are citing for the 3 stroke penalty instead of disqualification says in fact "a play who "UNKNOWINGLY" breaks a rule which is brought to his attention after signing his card will be assigned a 2 stroke penalty.

Service and Therapy Dogs - ADA and State Rights

Service and Therapy Dogs - ADA and State Rights

I really like Tiger Woods and enjoying watching him play. However, Tiger Woods needs to do the right thing and Disqualify Himself. Which he may yet.
Basically, you are accusing Tiger Woods of cheating. That's a pretty serious accusation. I've played tennis for 30 years. There are times when I've forgotten a rule or simply didn't know one. What about the pro football player on the Eagles (McNabb) who forgot the overtime rules? Or the coach of the Lions who threw a challenge flag when he was not allowed to and ultimately cost them the game? Are these people not professionals too "who know the rules"?

I don't think you can make such a statement.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
golfingnut: Can you say "confirmation bias", because that is exactly what your aforemention comments amount to. Your thinking is too linear. He didn't agree with the type penalty assessed so he must be a racist.

I would have reacted in the same manner if the situation involved my favorite player Fred Couples. The Committee ruled in his favor because they know he brings in a lot of money to the golf industry. I am a purest and that explains my sole and only reason. I am not a racist ,admire his talent and ignore his private life as I do with family friends, etc live and let live. Please be more careful with throwing that racist label around. It isn't fair nor is it proper
That is a real Riche post but totally twisted. For someone that claims to like me so much, you sure don't show it in the above post.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Basically, you are accusing Tiger Woods of cheating. That's a pretty serious accusation. I've played tennis for 30 years. There are times when I've forgotten a rule or simply didn't know one. What about the pro football player on the Eagles (McNabb) who forgot the overtime rules? Or the coach of the Lions who threw a challenge flag when he was not allowed to and ultimately cost them the game? Are these people not professionals too "who know the rules"?

I don't think you can make such a statement.
Spot on post. Thanks for posting this.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.