Tiger in the Masters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
The ball entered the hazard to the front left of the green, looking at the green from the fairway, on the FAR side of the pond, so that line (B) would be way to the left , either at the drop area or even further left close to the woods.
Makes sense, thanks....
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Gold member

After a review this morning, the rules committee assessed him a two stroke penalty for the infraction which leaves him five strokes back of the leader instead of three at the start of round three.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Thank you and you are correct. It is nice to see someone use their head for something besides a hat rack.
Ouch... is this my wife Linda?

How about this?

A Committee would not be justified under Rule 33-7 in waiving or modifying the disqualification penalty prescribed in Rule 6-6d if the player’s failure to include the penalty stroke(s) was a result of either ignorance of the Rules or of facts that the player could have reasonably discovered prior to signing and returning his score card.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Here is my thoughts now(with the right to change later). I do not think Tiger intentionally broke the rules and the committee made the right decision to to give him a 2 stroke penalty. However in the world we live in today with all the media attention Tiger would be a better man and DQ himself.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
As I finish my taxes.... early this year and listen to the experts. Do you think the world with our 24x7 news cycle has enough experts . A topic for another thread....

I think Tiger should DQ himself. Does he technically have to? NO....

What I think is not important of course, but I think his stock goes up IMO if he takes that action. He is the game of golf in this era and I think that type of statement from him goes a long way to further solidy golf as one of the greatest games....

Am I alone with this opinion?

PS. I wrote this before I saw any post after #6.

DOES ANYONE, IN THEIR RIGHT MIND, THINK THAT HE INTENTIONALLY BROKE A RULE?. IN TODAY'S AGE WHERE WE HAVE MILLIONS OF RULE EXPERTS (WATCHING ON THE TUBE WITH PHONE IN HAND ) JUST WAITNG TO "CATCH" ONE OF THESE PROFESSIONALS CHEATING SO THEY CAN "TURN" THEM IN. HOW WOULD YOUR MIND BE WORKING AFTER SUFFERING AN EXTREMELY BAD BREAK? WOULD YOU BE THINKING CLEARLY? YOU MISS A TWO FOOT PUTT AND YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT RIGHT FOR A WEEK
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Sage

In case I was not clear, which often happens when I post. I DO NOT THINK Tiger broke the rules intentionally. That does not change my opinion that he is between a rock and a hard place and it would be better for him AND more IMPORTANTLY the game if he withdrew.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

I believe Tiger did not intentionally break the rules, but whether he will ever admit it or not...was actually in a bit of shock.

I think he was on autopilot at that point and was proceeding as if the ball had entered the hazard short of the green...which I'm sure has happened to him many times previously.

I personally am a bit ambivalent, on whether he should have been disqualified.

I can see the legitimacy of both arguments and while appalled at his personal behavior, am also a fan of his golfing prowess.

Regardless of whether he goes on to win or not, he has given the golfing world something to argue about.....for many years to come.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1938 View Post
DOES ANYONE, IN THEIR RIGHT MIND, THINK THAT HE INTENTIONALLY BROKE A RULE?. IN TODAY'S AGE WHERE WE HAVE MILLIONS OF RULE EXPERTS (WATCHING ON THE TUBE WITH PHONE IN HAND ) JUST WAITNG TO "CATCH" ONE OF THESE PROFESSIONALS CHEATING SO THEY CAN "TURN" THEM IN. HOW WOULD YOUR MIND BE WORKING AFTER SUFFERING AN EXTREMELY BAD BREAK? WOULD YOU BE THINKING CLEARLY? YOU MISS A TWO FOOT PUTT AND YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT RIGHT FOR A WEEK
My thought exactly.

(P.S.) Easy on the all caps, we're all friends here, no need to yell.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndlion View Post
Here is my thoughts now(with the right to change later). I do not think Tiger intentionally broke the rules and the committee made the right decision to to give him a 2 stroke penalty. However in the world we live in today with all the media attention Tiger would be a better man and DQ himself.
I have changed my mind. Who cares what the media thinks, tee up the ball and shoot a 62....
Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndlion View Post
I have changed my mind. Who cares what the media thinks, tee up the ball and shoot a 62....
It was very interesting to follow. I certainly do not believe there is a RIGHT answer. Tiger has decided to play, so be it, I am ok with that (I know... who cares ) and look forward to a great Masters.

I am hoping Mr. Couples putting can hold up. I love cheering on the "old guys".
Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Tiger is too arrogant a person to ever admit he knew what he was doing and definitely too arrogant to DQ himself. I don't care if he is a good golfer or not. One day Tiger will get exactly what is coming to him and I will gladly sit back and enjoy that day.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
It was very interesting to follow. I certainly do not believe there is a RIGHT answer. Tiger has decided to play, so be it, I am ok with that (I know... who cares ) and look forward to a great Masters.

I am hoping Mr. Couples putting can hold up. I love cheering on the "old guys".
I agree on all counts.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Those that think he intentionally violated the rules are wrong, and here’s why. While proceeding to drop under rule 26, Tiger simply mixed up the options for dropping the ball out of the hazard. He intended to add a few yards and could have done so as far back as he wanted as long as it was on a line that was on an extension of a line between where it splashed in, and the pin. But when dropping from where he initially hit it requires it to be as close as possible to the original point, or roughly less than a foot.

So if he intentionally broke the rule hoping no one would notice, why would he then go on national television and describe in detail how and why he did it in a post interview.

But what if he decided to play the rules game to the hilt and make the infraction knowing the committee would issue the new unintended post play rule and accept the additional two stroke penalty. Well you don't need to be a math genius to realize that if he wanted to legally play the ball two yards back he could have dropped the ball as close as possible and then declare the ball unplayable and drop it back for a total of two penalty strokes instead of the three he was given.

There's no reason for him to disqualify himself.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default The key word here is INTENT

Did Tiger commit this infraction with the intent of deceiving all of the world?....I think NOT!....
Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Sage

I'm not a Tiger guy, but I'm not sure why so many are saying Tiger should DQ himself. The 'redo' by the rules committee made it look a little messy, but the final ruling was correct and the 2-stroke penalty is what the rules call for. No reason to bow out.

Quote:
...<Tiger Woods> is the game of golf in this era...
Whoa...certainly not for me, and I would venture to say many others would agree. I loved what one analyst said on The Golf Channel this morning while they were analyzing the situation. He said that "Tiger didn't break the rules intentionally. He's not a cheater. Oh he's a cheater OFF the golf course. But not on the course." I wouldn't doubt the analyst will catch some grief, but he was just telling it like it is.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.