Fences

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2021, 08:17 AM
Default Fences

My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet
Old 08-22-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I'm unaware of anyone that installed a fence. The Villages used to highly discourage it. There are veranda homes and courtyard villas that have a pre-installed fence during construction, that's the way to go as I see it. Good luck on your search.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

In general, fences are not allowed, you can call Community Standards (ARC) 352-751-3912 and ask. From what I have seen there were only a few areas where fences were allowed, and these were installed when the house was built. If you absolutely need to have dogs fenced, you may be limited to Court Yard Villas.
Now your other concern is that we have predators here, and dogs, especially small ones can easily be attacked. Also if your plan is for a doggie door for your dogs to go in and out, this will also allow other small animals to do the same.
Please keep all of this in mind with your home decision.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Each district has its own restrictions. Most of them are the same, with a few minor exceptions. You’ve got a couple of options.
1) go to VCDD What's Happening and look up each district’s restriction.
2) ask your realtor what district your prospective home is in and look up the restrictions (dont rely on realtor’s word as to what is allowed).
3) utilize an invisible fence, which is allowed in all districts, as they are below ground.

I will note that most areas do not allow fences, as villagetinker has mentioned. Depending on the size of your dogs, they could be considered prey by the wildlife here, and should not be left outside alone. In some cases, they should not be in your yard without a leash. That’s because you’ll be able to pull them away from wildlife that tries to grab them.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
In general, fences are not allowed, you can call Community Standards (ARC) 352-751-3912 and ask. From what I have seen there were only a few areas where fences were allowed, and these were installed when the house was built. If you absolutely need to have dogs fenced, you may be limited to Court Yard Villas.
Now your other concern is that we have predators here, and dogs, especially small ones can easily be attacked. Also if your plan is for a doggie door for your dogs to go in and out, this will also allow other small animals to do the same.
Please keep all of this in mind with your home decision.
I have had dog doors for over 40 years, here, in SW Florida and Texas. Only my dogs ever went in and out of them. Maybe my houses were an exception.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Court Yard Villas and Veranda models have fences, and are mostly the house of choice for pet owners that want to let them out.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'm unaware of anyone that installed a fence. The Villages used to highly discourage it. There are veranda homes and courtyard villas that have a pre-installed fence during construction, that's the way to go as I see it. Good luck on your search.
dittos, we are not allowed to fence in an area that didn't come equipped with one. i know, because i had the same issues. best bet is to check out the courtyard villas that already come with an enclosed yard. some are just beautiful!
Old 08-22-2021, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
I have had dog doors for over 40 years, here, in SW Florida and Texas. Only my dogs ever went in and out of them. Maybe my houses were an exception.
i'd say Yes, because some of the homes are near wildlife preserves. anything & everything can have access to your doggie door.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:29 AM
Default Fence installation is allowed in some areas after you purchase your home

I suggest you contact a knowledgeable Villages sale rep. - warning not all of them are knowledgeable.

In Bradford, there are some areas and lots that you can install a preapproved fence. When looking at homes with our dog, we were shown the fence that was approved and which homes were allowed to have them installed at a later date.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i'd say Yes, because some of the homes are near wildlife preserves. anything & everything can have access to your doggie door.

In TX I lived out on the prairie and it had an abundance of small critters, from p. dogs to armadillos to coyote, etc. Not even a chupacabra tried getting in. A snake came in through an open upstairs window once. Nothing came in the dog door. In Port Charlotte we backed on a virtually virgin preserve on a canal. That area was loaded with wildlife. Not one living thing came in the dog door except my dogs. An entrance by another animal is possible, I agree. However my neighbors and I, in both places we lived, never had one creature trespasser other than salesmen. The dogs love the doors and so do I.

Last edited by Joe V.; 08-22-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
In TX I lived out on the prairie and it had an abundance of small critters, from p. dogs to armadillos to coyote, etc. Not even a chupacabra tried getting in. A snake came in through an open upstairs window once. Nothing came in the dog door. In Port Charlotte we backed on a virtually virgin preserve on a canal. That area was loaded with wildlife. Not one living thing came in the dog door except my dogs. An entrance by another animal is possible, I agree. However my neighbors and I, in both places we lived, never had one creature trespasser other than salesmen. The dogs love the doors and so do I.
Are you living in The Villages now?
Old 08-22-2021, 02:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Are you living in The Villages now?
I am.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCheatham62@gmail.com View Post
My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet
fences are no allowed anywhere in the Villages... however, a court yard villa would be perfect.... it has enclosed back yard , I think cement 6' tall, perfect for privacy and your fur baby... they come all sizes.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:57 PM
Veteran member

I believe you are better off buying a home in a village with fences. We are in the Hawkins, where there are fences (provided with the house). We love it. The are others areas with fences as well, probably the newer areas in the South. A realtor will know which village communities have fences.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCheatham62@gmail.com View Post

Thank you,
Janet
I do not own a dog but have in the past. Truth it is easier to spoil other people's dogs and leave them with all the problems.

Not sure I believe in reincarnation however if it is true i want to be reincarnated as a villagers dog. You will know it is me because there is no way I will get in one of those strollers. The outfits-forget about it. As to can you. Reality, the regulations are not the same in every village. The sales people. Real estate law is interesting. Only things in writing are binding.

You are not the first to question. I suggest asking in the Villages offices. They are not only helpful but will either have your answer or tell you who to ask
Closed Thread

Tags
find, fence, installed, back, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.