Al's Top Shelf

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Platinum member
Default Al's Top Shelf

Since I'm not a member of The Villages Gourmet Club, I can't enter a review on their site about this new-to-me restaurant. So, I'll do one here on TOTV!

"Al's Top Shelf" is a decidely upscale [which, of course, means expensive] restaurant at 111 West Ruby St., in Tavares. It's on the second floor, above what I understand is a more wallet-friendly "Al's Landing." Both overlook Lake Dora, just a little east of where the Dora Canal enters the lake.

I believe that it's open only Thu, Fri & Sat nights.

I was with a special party of some 25-30 folks. We had a semi-private room [that is, separate tables away from the main bar/dining room, but not enclosed, to keep our noise from the other diners !], and staff for virtually each table of six. Staff was very attentive and capable.

Individual or couples checks were a given, each carrying an 18% gratuity. I saw absolutely no evidence that anyone had a problem with the bill; everybody got their own and readily agreed that it was correct.

My 8-ounce sirloin was done to perfection. The accompanying mashed potatoes were superb. The standard veggie was green beans; I opted to pay an additional $2 for asparagus; merely okay.

My table mates had a wide variety of items; not a single complaint from anyone in any regard! Desserts were to-die-for.

Granted, the venue is hardly golf-cart accessible; indeed, it's a good 40 minutes from me, in Sunset Pointe. Still, if you have a special event or reason to splurge, it is well worth a look-see!

SWR

P.S.: My final tab, including 3 pinot grigio, was approximately $75. That'll give you a clue as to how "upscale" this place is!

Last edited by swrinfla; 07-01-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Add post script
Old 07-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Thanks swrinfla. Sounds like a good place to go for a special dinner. And nice to learn we both live in Sunset Pointe.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.