Country Club Restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
After being in The Villages for almost a year, I had my first dinner at a Country Club, last night.

It sort of reminded me of Howard Johnson's, in the 70's. Dated decor, old silverware, wrapped in a paper napkin ... mashed potatoes, served with an "ice cream scooper". The food was ok, but was more like the kind of food you would find at a casual Mom & Pop restaurant, on a back road somewhere.

Without mentioning the name of which country club I was at, is it reasonable to assume all the country clubs all fairly similar?
The Villages does not have "Country Clubs". They have restaurants with golf courses attached or, depending on your priorities, golf courses with restaurants attached.

But "Country Clubs"? No way.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:01 AM

It really comes down to individual tastes and expectations when rating these places. As far as "country clubs", Lopez IMO is by far the best but it depends what you want to spend, the service you expect and the kind of food you are looking for. Mallory, Cane Tierra, GView et al have decent food but are far from fine dining.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,170 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Come on OP, Orange Blossom C.C. Isn’t really that bad! Lol
I tried the golf course once, that was enough for me. That was my first and last visit to the "Historic Section". Great euphemism they've installed in the hearts and minds of all Villagers.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
After being in The Villages for almost a year, I had my first dinner at a Country Club, last night.

It sort of reminded me of Howard Johnson's, in the 70's. Dated decor, old silverware, wrapped in a paper napkin ... mashed potatoes, served with an "ice cream scooper". The food was ok, but was more like the kind of food you would find at a casual Mom & Pop restaurant, on a back road somewhere.

Without mentioning the name of which country club I was at, is it reasonable to assume all the country clubs all fairly similar?
NO!
Old 11-24-2022, 09:09 AM

I agree with most of you that the food in the country club restaurants is fine, but basically mediocre. There are better restaurants in and outside the Villages than the golf course restaurants, in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:10 AM
Default Food purchases

And where do you expect restaurants to get their food from , maybe New York or maybe the west coast! Both Syaco and Cheney sell restaurant quality food, I would know since I worked for both.

Without mentioning the name of which country club I was at, is it reasonable to assume all the country clubs all fairly similar?[/QUOTE]
Old 11-24-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts

No, not all the same even though many have common ownership. Try Nancy Lopez or Havana.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
I tried the golf course once, that was enough for me. That was my first and last visit to the "Historic Section". Great euphemism they've installed in the hearts and minds of all Villagers.
Nice cheap shot.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:13 AM

The beer is good at almost all of them!
Old 11-24-2022, 09:42 AM

Price
Old 11-24-2022, 09:50 AM

Rating restaurants is all a matter of personal taste. We like BlueFin, Chop House and for lighter fare Wolfgang Pucks bistro is very good. That being said, it's pretty difficult to find any restaurants that can compare with the high end eateries in and around NYC, NJ or Philly for food quality, however the relaxed atmosphere, scenery and friendly people and staff here in the Villages more then make up for any gastronomic short comings.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,388 Posts

Country clubs in name only.

The terms are used very loosely and or not related at all.

Like Motel 6 being a resort!!!

Does not mean they are necessarily bad ......it is just that they are not.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:05 AM
Default Restaurants at Country Clubs

Seems a lot of people are comparing Country Clubs and their restaurants in The Villages with their Country Club up North. In my opinion, that’s an unrealistic comparison!

There are 13 country clubs in TV (11 with restaurants), all owned by the TV with restaurants operated as concessions. These country clubs are servicing 140,000 people in one community. Up North, communities may have a few golf courses and one or maybe two Country Clubs. Usually northern Country Clubs are considered “exclusive “ as they charge an initiation fee and fairly high annual dues and require a minimum monthly restaurant charge (one person here said his club had a monthly minimum of $600 - $800).

In my opinion, to expect the TV Country Clubs and their restaurants to compare to an Exclusive Country Club up North is unrealistic! Get Real!
Old 11-24-2022, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
Seems a lot of people are comparing Country Clubs and their restaurants in The Villages with their Country Club up North. In my opinion, that’s an unrealistic comparison!

There are 13 country clubs in TV (11 with restaurants), all owned by the TV with restaurants operated as concessions. These country clubs are servicing 140,000 people in one community. Up North, communities may have a few golf courses and one or maybe two Country Clubs. Usually northern Country Clubs are considered “exclusive “ as they charge an initiation fee and fairly high annual dues and require a minimum monthly restaurant charge (one person here said his club had a monthly minimum of $600 - $800).

In my opinion, to expect the TV Country Clubs and their restaurants to compare to an Exclusive Country Club up North is unrealistic! Get Real!
It’s refreshing to read a common sense post once in a while.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:13 AM

Wow....did that open a can if beans.
Haha
Closed Thread

Tags
country, club, food, mom, fairly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.