Credit card fee

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2022, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,145 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
I’m willing to bet most businesses, especially restaurants, have these credit card fees already built into their prices so now they are just charging us double.
Or reminding your divorced waitress with 4 kids that there will be no tip because your boss included her tip in credit card fees.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,240 Times in 2,819 Posts

Quote:
I’m willing to bet most businesses, especially restaurants, have these credit card fees already built into their prices so now they are just charging us double.
That would effectively penalize people for paying cash.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I agree. It’s got to be recorded somewhere within the cost of goods sold which is a driver of the sale price to the consumer
Old 09-04-2022, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That would effectively penalize people for paying cash.
Not really, you and I would walk out of there paying the same amount for the same meal. The restaurant would make more profit from your meal than from mine but you and I would have been treated the same.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-04-2022, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnytalk View Post
Another thing most places has Raised there food prices, and now pay for credit card fee,
Tips will go back to 15% ,

These tactics by any businessis poor business
To a degree, I agree. I wouldn’t want to tip based on a fee I am paying for using a credit card any more than I would want to tip based on the tax on my meal. I tip based on level of service.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The 3.75 percent fee would be about double what I paid when I owned a retail business. But, I don't know what the current bank fees are. It seems too high though. Their online menu doesn't seem to say anything about the fee. Also, I wonder if they are able to distinguish between a credit card and a debit card in all cases.
One of my clients is a 7 store vitamin & minerals retailer - part of a national franchise.

His fees are about 1.44% for the total of visa, mastercard, discover and debits and about 2.75% for Amex.

The smaller the transaction the larger the fee. National franchises have tremendous negotiating power.

Arnold Palmer is making money on these service fees!
Old 09-04-2022, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
I tip based on level of service.
Sounds good, but:
Customer 1 orders spaghetti marinara at $10.
Customer 2 orders spaghetti/lobster sauce at $35.
In both cases server takes order, delivers 1plate to each customer. Same level of service, yet customer 1 tip (@ 20%) $2 while customer 2 tip (@ 20%) is $7. Customer 2's tip for same service is 350% more.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:33 AM
Default 3.75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ral51Bjl View Post
My golf ladies went to Arnold Parker’s yesterday for lunch. We knew it was pricey but the food and service are usually good. When given our checks we put our credit cards to pay the bill. When the server returned with the copy to sign, we noticed the bill was higher. I called the server over and she stated that it was a 3.75% service charge for using a credit card and this was on the bottom of checks. We don’t usually look at the bottom of the check unless it has the gratuity suggestions on it. Beware of this on your checks.
This is all over. I was in Ocala and the same thing happened to us, I'm paying by cash now when ever I go out.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,240 Times in 2,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Not really, you and I would walk out of there paying the same amount for the same meal. The restaurant would make more profit from your meal than from mine but you and I would have been treated the same.
Not true, if the price is the same for cash or credit card, it’s cheaper using our rewards credit card that gives us 2% cash back. If the establishment adds a fee of over 2% for paying with a credit card, it’s cheaper for us to pay with cash. It’s not that paying a percent or two more would make any difference to us, I just like getting the best value for our hard earned money.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,253 Times in 5,438 Posts

Quote:
Not true, if the price is the same for cash or credit card, it’s cheaper using our rewards credit card that gives us 2% cash back. If the establishment adds a fee of over 2% for paying with a credit card, it’s cheaper for us to pay with cash. It’s not that paying a percent or two more would make any difference to us, I just like getting the best value for our hard earned money.
Our Sams card pays us 3% back for using the card but do agree like to get the best value for our money.
Old 09-04-2022, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
It isn't necessarily the 2 or 3%, it is the principle.
Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs down

We've been watching this for over a year now. First it was 2.4% added to the net total in a few restaurants. It appeared at the bottom of the bill, no signs and no notices on the menu. A complete surprise! I complained to the manager and got: "Everyone is doing this now!" My reply was: "OK, I won't come back then."

Then I noticed the fee was 3%. In a few months it was 3.5%. One place added it for "any plastic payment" (CC or DC). Then suddenly it was 4% added for CC surcharge last month. We just went to a restaurant for the first time last night and the charge was 4.3% of the net. This is getting out of hand. No prior notice either.

So I now write on the merchant's copy of the charge slip: "Owner: This 4% CC surprise fee is an underhanded tactic and not customer friendly. You just lost my frequent business!"

If everyone did this, the practice would soon stop. Even the servers that we talk to, hate the practice, it eventually affects their tips.

If we have a "law" in Florida, it should be enforced.

Suggest we all let the merchants know that their low 1-2% fee to the CC companies should not be passed on as a 4.3% rip off to the unsuspecting consumer.

Skip
Old 09-04-2022, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,253 Times in 5,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
We've been watching this for over a year now. First it was 2.4% added to the net total in a few restaurants. It appeared at the bottom of the bill, no signs and no notices on the menu. A complete surprise! I complained to the manager and got: "Everyone is doing this now!" My reply was: "OK, I won't come back then."

Then I noticed the fee was 3%. In a few months it was 3.5%. One place added it for "any plastic payment" (CC or DC). Then suddenly it was 4% added for CC surcharge last month. We just went to a restaurant for the first time last night and the charge was 4.3% of the net. This is getting out of hand. No prior notice either.

So I now write on the merchant's copy of the charge slip: "Owner: This 4% CC surprise fee is an underhanded tactic and not customer friendly. You just lost my frequent business!"

If everyone did this, the practice would soon stop. Even the servers that we talk to, hate the practice, it eventually affects their tips.

If we have a "law" in Florida, it should be enforced.

Suggest we all let the merchants know that their low 1-2% fee to the CC companies should not be passed on as a 4.3% rip off to the unsuspecting consumer.

Skip
So now this is a way to increase profits at our expense. Great idea to pass the comment onto the owner
Old 09-04-2022, 12:21 PM

Just FYI, I own a retail store and the fees vary based on the card. All those rewards, the retailer pays them. So a bank card with no rewards may be 1% but a cash back rewards card may be as much as 3.5%. Even debit cards have a fee for the retailer.
Old 09-04-2022, 01:04 PM

I always try to pick cash. Never give anybody my credit card especially when they take it away from me. But 3.75% convenience fee or not seems awfully expensive used to be one and a half to 1.75% I believe although AMEX Is usually more expensive with their fees to the merchant and passed on to customers
Closed Thread

Tags
checks, credit, bill, service, card

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.