Folks from Mass (Boston/North Shore): good pizza, roast beef sandwiches, Chinese food

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2023, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,174 Times in 2,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. Be moving there soon.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. The food IS NOT A DEAL BREAKER. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages. It does not matter if the food doesn't live up to what I have in Massachusetts. I'm just trying to learn more.
I have lived in Massachusetts for the majority of my life, including time in the Boston area (Newton, Watertown, and Brookline). We have different diets as I don’t eat the types of food referenced above. That being said, I am a seafood kind of guy, and the seafood in Massachusetts blows away just about anything we have found in the Villages area. I expected a state like Florida, that is a peninsula bordered by two huge bodies of water, to have better and more affordable seafood. To my surprise, I learned that much of the seafood served in Florida is actually imported from the northern states, with the exceptions being things like local snapper, grouper, redfish, and shrimp. Forgetting about food, there are many things in the Villages that positively blow away living in Massachusetts, with the one major exception being quality health care. The Boston area offers extensive access to some of the absolute best health care anywhere in the entire world. The Villages on the other hand has a substantially subpar and overstressed health care system. That alone is the deal breaker for us ever becoming full timers.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I have lived in Massachusetts for the majority of my life, including time in the Boston area (Newton, Watertown, and Brookline). We have different diets as I don’t eat the types of food referenced above. That being said, I am a seafood kind of guy, and the seafood in Massachusetts blows away just about anything we have found in the Villages area. I expected a state like Florida, that is a peninsula bordered by two huge bodies of water, to have better and more affordable seafood. To my surprise, I learned that much of the seafood served in Florida is actually imported from the northern states, with the exceptions being things like local snapper, grouper, redfish, and shrimp. Forgetting about food, there are many things in the Villages that positively blow away living in Massachusetts, with the one major exception being quality health care. The Boston area offers extensive access to some of the absolute best health care anywhere in the entire world. The Villages on the other hand has a substantially subpar and overstressed health care system. That alone is the deal breaker for us ever becoming full timers.
Isn't that due to the difference between cold and warm water seafood?
Old 11-05-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I have seen Pepperidge Farm rolls at Publix. Possibly, Arnold also.
Those are very close. This is a NE Roll. Put butter on the sides and toast on the grill or in a pan.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	neroll.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	101033  
Old 11-05-2023, 05:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,031 Times in 461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu4206 View Post
Those are very close. This is a NE Roll. Put butter on the sides and toast on the grill or in a pan.
Slice the sides off?
Old 11-05-2023, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,130 Posts

Quote:
Slice the sides off?
Why would anyone want to waste bread that way? New England hotdog rolls are baked that way. You basically peel them away from each other, one at a time.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Isn't that due to the difference between cold and warm water seafood?
yes, most definitely the root cause. . . . .
Old 11-05-2023, 11:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Why would anyone want to waste bread that way? New England hotdog rolls are baked that way. You basically peel them away from each other, one at a time.
I didn't say throw the sliced-off parts away. That would be a waste. Save them for bread crumbs or a panade. I believe New Englanders are known for their frugality.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:36 AM

We found the best pizza is from Pasta Faire. It is about 40 minutes away and they have a special everyday of buy one get one free. They also have that special on Wednesday if you want to eat at the restaurant. It is good, and reasonable.

Pasta Faire
10401 SE Us Highway 441
Belleview, Florida 34420
Old 11-06-2023, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

We had better water in Mass, not so good down here.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,130 Posts

Quote:
I didn't say throw the sliced-off parts away. That would be a waste. Save them for bread crumbs or a panade. I believe New Englanders are known for their frugality.
Non-New-Englanders are known for making assumptions about New Englanders.

(see what I did there?)
Old 11-06-2023, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Non-New-Englanders are known for making assumptions about New Englanders.

(see what I did there?)
Yankee Magazine obviously believes that New Englanders are frugal too.

From their September 1990 issue of Yankee Magazine, their issue devoted to Yankee frugality:

"After learning untold uses for dryer lint, worn-out panty hose, and used dental floss, we present the winners of the Yankee frugality contest. In our September 1990 issue of Yankee Magazine, our issue devoted to Yankee frugality, we asked for your own frugal tips and anecdotes. You responded with more than 200 letters, many of them typed or written on the back of envelopes, brown paper bags, used computer paper, and other imaginative stationary. You told us what to do with worn-out socks and panty hose, how to stretch tea bags, and the best methods for splitting and resewing sheets to make them last longer. You suggested a remarkable variety of uses for vinegar, mothballs, salt, baking soda, dryer lint, and the little balls of cotton that come in pill bottles. We received two poems about thrift and one recipe for road kill. Your anecdotes were priceless. We heard about a man who stopped his clocks before going to bed every night and started them again in the morning and a family that always turned the lights out while eating dinner. We learned how to reuse helium balloons, refrigerator light bulbs, and dental floss. You told us how to make things last. ..."

(Are you assuming that I am a Non-New-Englander?)
Old 11-06-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. Be moving there soon.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. The food IS NOT A DEAL BREAKER. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages. It does not matter if the food doesn't live up to what I have in Massachusetts. I'm just trying to learn more.
The only place I have found for fried claims like in Boston, is the Old Tavern in Celebration, outside of WDW.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The food here is so bad that you won't be able to enjoy the weather, politics, or social life (just kidding).

I lived on the Palm Beach side years ago and there are many good pizza places in bigger cities. Frayedends maybe your weekend excursions can include eating at better places than TV has to offer.

Last edited by AMB444; 12-14-2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
The nearest Indian Restaurant is over a half hour away.
Oh no. TV off my list of possible places to move to.

(just kidding

Can you recommend the place?

General question for anyone: I really didn't see any cooking clubs on TV list. Any groups gathering and cooking fun/interesting recipes?
Old 01-04-2024, 06:38 PM
Default Hero?

“Hero” is definitely NOT a Massachusetts word!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Some places here have good Italian bread, buy some and make your own hero.
Closed Thread

Tags
beef, chinese, pizza, roast, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.