Folks from Mass (Boston/North Shore): good pizza, roast beef sandwiches, Chinese food

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers4649 View Post
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. Be moving there soon.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages.
ok. here you go. the seafood, forget it.... people actually eat oysters here, and say they're great. OMG.....everything else, don't bother. gross .... ditto on the Chinese food. and as far as pizza goes. anyone. anyone? IMHO the food in florida, and the villages is mediocre......
Old 08-30-2023, 04:09 PM

Regina Pizzeria would clean up down here! There is no good pizza in the Villages. Just acceptable. Probably Robertos or Brooklyn is the best of the worst. Piesanos is just greasy awful pizza.

Chinese - Kung Fu Chef is passable. No one makes good crab rangoon.
We went to Bamboo in Westford MA last week to remind us of how awful it is down here.

The is nothing to compare to Juniors pastrami. There just isnt.

Not a big roast beef eater, so cant comment.

The Seafood shack in Leesburg isnt bad for fried fish. They do lobster and steamers on the weekends. The steamer water could be fresher. There was an aftertaste in the rinse water. Butter was good tho. They have whole belly and necks for clams. They are a fair approximation of Markeys in salisbury.

Brooklyn water bagels are pretty good.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
ok. here you go. the seafood, forget it.... people actually eat oysters here, and say they're great. OMG.....everything else, don't bother. gross .... ditto on the Chinese food. and as far as pizza goes. anyone. anyone? IMHO the food in florida, and the villages is mediocre......
someone else does as I do, from being sick of sandwiches from shops. Publix has great sub rolls, in their bakery. go to their bakery and buy your rolls. their deli has all the cold cuts that you need. and your own toppings. it's your only hope. but be patient at the deli. it may take a few hours for them to slice your stuff.....
Old 08-30-2023, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,936 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
Regina Pizzeria would clean up down here! There is no good pizza in the Villages. Just acceptable. Probably Robertos or Brooklyn is the best of the worst. Piesanos is just greasy awful pizza.

Chinese - Kung Fu Chef is passable. No one makes good crab rangoon.
We went to Bamboo in Westford MA last week to remind us of how awful it is down here.

The is nothing to compare to Juniors pastrami. There just isnt.

Not a big roast beef eater, so cant comment.

The Seafood shack in Leesburg isnt bad for fried fish. They do lobster and steamers on the weekends. The steamer water could be fresher. There was an aftertaste in the rinse water. Butter was good tho. They have whole belly and necks for clams. They are a fair approximation of Markeys in salisbury.

Brooklyn water bagels are pretty good.
I think you should mention that the Seafood Shack in Leesburg is a dump where you can't even get a drink. And, they have no place to sit until your name is called, and then you need to pay when you order. No thank you.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I find the cheese they put on pizza here pretty tasteless same as the sauce. We have tried making our own pizza and never thought we had something any good.

I was really just teasing on the NYC thing. But I was following a YouTube channel, link below. I recall they have a video on sauce and it's literally just the tomatoes and maybe some oregano/garlic. I tried it at home and was amazed. All the years I tried making sauce better by adding stuff, and my problem was I added too much stuff. I may have to revisit the videos on this channel...

North American Pizza & Culinary Academy - YouTube
Old 08-30-2023, 04:40 PM

I guess I consider myself fortunate not a have a very discriminating palate. It's nice to be able to enjoy a Pizza Hut pizza, a Subway sandwich, or a Sonny's Barbecue dish.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:42 PM

No papa gino's or d'angelos or even a Kelly's Try Jersey Mikes for subs and Kung Fu Chef or chinese. I don;t like any of the pizza.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,936 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
I was really just teasing on the NYC thing. But I was following a YouTube channel, link below. I recall they have a video on sauce and it's literally just the tomatoes and maybe some oregano/garlic. I tried it at home and was amazed. All the years I tried making sauce better by adding stuff, and my problem was I added too much stuff. I may have to revisit the videos on this channel...

North American Pizza & Culinary Academy - YouTube
I'm happy to find a pizza that actually has some sauce. My biggest complaint is that the pizza shows up with way too much cheese and almost no sauce. And, I don't want to tell the restaurant how to make a pizza. They should know that a pizza should have both sauce and cheese.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
To the OP: the real deal, the "true story" is - The Villages lacks diversity in food, because The Villages is low on diversity in residents. It's predominately white, almost all English-as-First-Language, predominately "somewhere other than the cultural and ethnic diversity of the Northeastern/New England states." This is Vanilla country. If you want diversity in food, you need to go some place where they have diverse people.
No Italians? Does that explain the bad pizza?
Old 08-30-2023, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

LOL Need Italian Americans who had grandparents that immigrated here. That’s how you get NY or North End pizza. There’s got to be plenty of them in the villages. But darn it they are all retired.

I’m sure I’ll adapt and occasionally visit Massachusetts for the foods I miss. Heck now I’m 1.5 hours from Boston and I hardly get these foods.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
LOL Need Italian Americans who had grandparents that immigrated here. That’s how you get NY or North End pizza. There’s got to be plenty of them in the villages. But darn it they are all retired.

I’m sure I’ll adapt and occasionally visit Massachusetts for the foods I miss. Heck now I’m 1.5 hours from Boston and I hardly get these foods.
We make a restaurant list for our infrequent trips up north. Reginas, Bamboo, and Markeys or Juniors are on the list depending on where we are headed.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:56 PM
Sage

Somethings are hard to duplicate....food being part of that. THIS is Florida---it's the south and southern isn't the same as the N.E. or the midwest or wherever. Part of the "fun" is to explore and try to find what you're looking for BUT you won't find "home" here. We moved from the upper midwest and there are food-items there we can't find duplicates of here (unless we make it ourselves). I don't understand "food snobs" who come, can't find then complain because it's not like where they once lived.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:34 PM

Closest to your neighborhood pizza is New York Pizza, Up near Walmart
Old 08-30-2023, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
To the OP: the real deal, the "true story" is - The Villages lacks diversity in food, because The Villages is low on diversity in residents. It's predominately white, almost all English-as-First-Language, predominately "somewhere other than the cultural and ethnic diversity of the Northeastern/New England states." This is Vanilla country. If you want diversity in food, you need to go some place where they have diverse people.
Snob much?

-Tom Petty
Old 08-30-2023, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,618 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Snob much?
Please how many Asians do you see here?

Tags
beef, chinese, pizza, roast, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.