Gators Dockside at Spanish Springs - Bad Service

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM
gerryann's Avatar
gerryann gerryann is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
I am always concerned when I see a header like "Gators Dockside at Spanish Springs - Bad Service." After all, the questionable service can be a a single bad experience and often it is rectified by the management . . . BUT the header always remains "Gators Dockside at Spanish Springs - Bad Service". Doesn't seem right to me. Allan.
Thats exactly my feelings. This header will remain forever...for a restaurant that had a problem ONE NIGHT? That's too bad. That header will stick in a lot of peoples minds, and they may pass up a good experience at a usually good eating establishment.
  #17  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,391
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,015 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowleesCreekYachtClub View Post
I am always concerned when I see a header like "Gators Dockside at Spanish Springs - Bad Service." After all, the questionable service can be a a single bad experience and often it is rectified by the management . . . BUT the header always remains "Gators Dockside at Spanish Springs - Bad Service". Doesn't seem right to me. Allan.
  #18  
Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Brewster Brewster is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Villages,fl
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

As with any review about anything, I always concider the reviewer.
If its some silly concern I pass it off, if you state you were served a rat on a plate, OK, I'll listen. So many times it is trivial and for me, Im not going to write a place off for something that may happen to any place of business.

When it comes to a resturant, what is it we want?, Good food, good service good atmosphere, and i know for most good price.
  #19  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Schaumburger's Avatar
Schaumburger Schaumburger is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL - Chicago suburb - TV Wannabee
Posts: 4,235
Thanks: 693
Thanked 141 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Yes! I've tipped busboys who gave better service than the server.
That said, I basically overtip - some small effort to make up for the cheapskates. Can't tell you how many times I'll see a couple get up from a meal and throw a dollar on the table like it's 1975.

My personal pet peeve is poor service given to single diners. I am single and frequently dine alone. I expect the same service that the table of 2 next to me gets. Servers will occasionally ignore me - take my order, bring my food and disappear - and lavish attention on the table that they expect will leave a larger tip. When I dine alone, I always leave 30-40% so the server is not "penalized" for serving a single. The last time I received poor service (breakfast at Perkins, with my server fawning over the table next to me), I left a note on the table that said "Tip: Don't ignore single diners - they do dine with friends as well. For your monetary tip, see the cashier." When I paid the cashier, I put a $5 bill in the charity jar by the cash register and told the cashier to thank my server for her contribution.

CaliforniaGirl,

Amen to what you posted. As a single, I tip 25% for exceptional service. About 3 weeks ago I was in the Cincinnati area visiting my sister and her family. Took my 9 year old niece to a late lunch after we visited the aquarium in Newport, KY right across the river from Cincinnati. The restaurant was not busy (after 2:00 pm). We might as well have been invisible for as much attention as we received from the server. That night my sister, her daughter and I went to Red Robin in Florence, KY near their home. The waitress was one of the best I've had in years. She stopped by our table several times to see if everything was OK or if we needed anything. Had to laugh about your comment on the people who leave $1.00 tips like it was still 1975. My 81 year old dad will leave a $2 tip for a $40 check. I will leave another $5 on the table, and my dad asks me what I'm doing. I'm 50 and I haven't lived in his house since 1979, and I bought my townhouse on my own in 1998, but he still wants to know what I do with my $.

Raise a toast to those who provide exceptional service!
  #20  
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM
CaliforniaGirl CaliforniaGirl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 221
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Cheapness is not age-related.

I used to go out to dinner with my dearly departed mother, and we would (quietly) make fun of all the folks ordering "water with lemon" (what local servers call a "Villages Coctail"), making lemonade at the table. My mother (a cheap old people ) used to say "if I can't afford to buy a beverage I'll stay home." Same goes for tipping.

For those who oppose tipping, consider this - in order to pay servers a living wage, menu prices would have to increase considerably - not only to cover additional wages, but also the higher employer costs (social security & medicare taxes, unemployment, worker's comp.) You would pay more to dine out, and your server would have absolutely no incentive to provide anything more than the barest minimum required service. I would rather pay less for my meal and reward someone bending over backward to please me, or "penalize" a lesser-inclined server. That gives control to ME rather than to a restaurant owner. Seems like a win-win to me.

Last edited by Moderator; 12-07-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
  #21  
Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 PM
ilovetv ilovetv is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

In a way, servers are on commission. They are paid FL tipped-worker minimum wage of $4.29/hour.

They have direct incentives to either work hard and fast to please their customers, which in turn drives future business and revenues upward for the owners; or servers can do the minimum, giving customers the incentive to not return, and to patronize a competitor's restaurant where they can relax and enjoy themselves....and where they'll not be embarrassed to invite guests.

If you can afford to live in TV, you can afford to pay a server 15-20% tip.
  #22  
Old 07-02-2011, 12:35 PM
golf2140 golf2140 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
In a way, servers are on commission. They are paid FL tipped-worker minimum wage of $4.29/hour.

They have direct incentives to either work hard and fast to please their customers, which in turn drives future business and revenues upward for the owners; or servers can do the minimum, giving customers the incentive to not return, and to patronize a competitor's restaurant where they can relax and enjoy themselves....and where they'll not be embarrassed to invite guests.

If you can afford to live in TV, you can afford to pay a server 15-20% tip.
__________________
Villager from 2000 until they take me out in a small box!!!
  #23  
Old 07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
swrinfla swrinfla is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,778
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Some reminiscences in this thread! So, this aging Villager searches his mind to see if he can out-reminisce the others!

My grandmother lived during her last years in a very upscale residential hotel in St. Louis. When I visited her once (probably in 1952, if not earlier), she treated me to a wonderful ice cream sundae in her hotel's restaurant.

I vividly remember being hugely embarrassed because she was going to leave a tip of less than $1, for a bill of some $15 - $20 - our party also included my parents and my aunt and uncle, as well as Grandma! My father and aunt were her children! They were also embarrassed, and, years later, my father acknowledged that "She was always the cheapest woman I ever knew!"

Later, I understood, also, that part of her pecuniary outlook was due to the fact that our server was not only a "colored," but also a "darkie." I still blush at her attitude!

Of course, many folks now think that my tendency to tip 18% - 20% is over-kill!

Know what? I do what I please!

SWR
__________________
Missouri-Massachusetts-Connecticut-Maine-Missouri-Texas-Missouri-Florida
  #24  
Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 PM
ladydoc ladydoc is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BUTTONWOOD
Posts: 1,021
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Yes! I've tipped busboys who gave better service than the server.
That said, I basically overtip - some small effort to make up for the cheapskates. Can't tell you how many times I'll see a couple get up from a meal and throw a dollar on the table like it's 1975.

My personal pet peeve is poor service given to single diners. I am single and frequently dine alone. I expect the same service that the table of 2 next to me gets. Servers will occasionally ignore me - take my order, bring my food and disappear - and lavish attention on the table that they expect will leave a larger tip. When I dine alone, I always leave 30-40% so the server is not "penalized" for serving a single. The last time I received poor service (breakfast at Perkins, with my server fawning over the table next to me), I left a note on the table that said "Tip: Don't ignore single diners - they do dine with friends as well. For your monetary tip, see the cashier." When I paid the cashier, I put a $5 bill in the charity jar by the cash register and told the cashier to thank my server for her contribution.
I like your style!!!
__________________
Chicago, Lincoln Nebraska, Rochester NY, SE Ohio, Oklahoma, California, New Mexico and BUTTONWOOD
  #25  
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Brewster Brewster is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Villages,fl
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

give them a tip, cuz what are they gonna do, line your coffin with your money?
  #26  
Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Village of Alhambra
Posts: 838
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Bryan
Default

Seems like this thread had been hijacked to be a tipping discussion - but that is OK, it's an open forum and it goes where the participants want it to go. My question has to do with tipping in cash directly to the server or, as many do, adding it to the credit card bill - which is better? I personally usually add it to my credit card bill so I have a better handle on costs and a written receipt for the full amount. I sometimes wonder it the restaurant actually gives it to my server or if it goes into a "pool" that is split by all wait staff. I know that, on cruises, the "daily" tips added to your on-board charges for room steward, waiter, and assistant waiter and the 15% added to all shipboard charges like wine, drinks, are split among the entire service staff crew (but not the "real" sailors nor the entertainers, I don't think). So which is preferred by most - add it to the charge card bill or leave cash on the table?

For those mathematicians among us, do you include or exclude the tax on your bill when calculating the tip?
  #27  
Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,516
Thanks: 1
Thanked 172 Times in 56 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

Comments on prior posts.

California girl, I like how you think. I also dine alone sometimes. And you are so right about the servers thinking small tip. I tip based on service quality. As low as 5% to make a point that you were awful to as high as 30% to say great job. I will even over tip when going someplace where they add it to the bill to recognize good service. However I do it based on service with "average" getting 15% of total bill including tax.

Water with lemon? Do it all the time. Why? Because I want to avoid sugar based drinks and I don't want the Aspertane in the diet drinks. I will usually order wine or beer as well if appropriate. I just prefer water to the other available drinks. And the Florida water requires lemon to be drinkable. So if the server thinks that's a sign of a poor tipper, so be it. Their loss.

I prefer the standard of tipping well for good service vs the European way of paying a good salary and the wait staff have no incentive to provide good. service
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #28  
Old 07-03-2011, 07:23 AM
CaliforniaGirl CaliforniaGirl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 221
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Water with lemon? Do it all the time. Why? Because I want to avoid sugar based drinks and I don't want the Aspertane in the diet drinks. I will usually order wine or beer as well if appropriate. I just prefer water to the other available drinks. And the Florida water requires lemon to be drinkable. So if the server thinks that's a sign of a poor tipper, so be it. Their loss.
Don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with ordering water with lemon, I do it frequently myself - when that is what I want to drink with my meal. I was specifically referring to the ones who order it, then dump sugar or sweetener in it to make lemonade. I just personally find that an overt demonstration of cheapness, kind of like smuggling your own popcorn into a movie theater.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.