Kumo

Old 05-07-2024, 04:25 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,773 Times in 763 Posts
Default Kumo

Had very good lunch today (5/7) at Kumo, rather new hibachi & sushi restaurant on Kristine Way, off 44. Small, very clean, minimalist, modern Japanese interior makes a good first impression. Late lunch (served until 3), so only 4 tables occupied. Seated immediately and order taken very quickly since it was nearly 3. Ordered hibachi shrimp. Drink and clear soup (surprise, it was actually hot, so often clear soup is luke warm) were promptly at the table and order taken. They had quite a large lunch menu including many sushi choices, hibachi choices, and a variety of Bento box dinners. Ordered hibachi shrimp which came with flavorful plump sushi type rice, grilled vegetables, and a generous portion of medium sized grilled shrimp. Polite and very attentive waitress. If I could suggest any improvement at all, I'd say serving the hibachi lunch on a warm plate would really help since it cools so quickly after it comes off the grill. The hibachi meals are prepared in the kitchen, not at communal grill tables, so those who are mainly interested in the "show" would probably be disappointed even though the food was excellent.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,885 Times in 5,317 Posts

I picked up a menu when they first opened, but I haven't eaten there yet. My only comment was that they could have spent a little money on the decor, and maybe arranged the tables better or add some booths. But, I will give it a try.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,239 Times in 2,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Had very good lunch today (5/7) at Kumo, rather new hibachi & sushi restaurant on Kristine Way, off 44. Small, very clean, minimalist, modern Japanese interior makes a good first impression. Late lunch (served until 3), so only 4 tables occupied. Seated immediately and order taken very quickly since it was nearly 3. Ordered hibachi shrimp. Drink and clear soup (surprise, it was actually hot, so often clear soup is luke warm) were promptly at the table and order taken. They had quite a large lunch menu including many sushi choices, hibachi choices, and a variety of Bento box dinners. Ordered hibachi shrimp which came with flavorful plump sushi type rice, grilled vegetables, and a generous portion of medium sized grilled shrimp. Polite and very attentive waitress. If I could suggest any improvement at all, I'd say serving the hibachi lunch on a warm plate would really help since it cools so quickly after it comes off the grill. The hibachi meals are prepared in the kitchen, not at communal grill tables, so those who are mainly interested in the "show" would probably be disappointed even though the food was excellent.
Is it golf cart accessible?
Old 05-07-2024, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Yes, it is in the Lake Deaton Plaza.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

Quote:
Yes. It’s in Lake Deaton Plaza. If you know where Piesano’s is, it’s at the opposite end of the shopping center. All the way to the right as looking from 44.

We’ve eaten there several times. We enjoy more than most restaurants here.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-07-2024, 06:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Good review!

I always thought hibachi was synonymous with the communal grill. That part is definitely disappointing.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,246 Times in 5,434 Posts

Ate there once food was at least equal to Sakura where we normally go. Only problem was very noisy
Old 05-07-2024, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Ate there once food was at least equal to Sakura where we normally go. Only problem was very noisy
Because it is laid out like a low end fast food restaurant, with no decor, acoustics, or booth seating. Big mistake, especially for a Japanese restaurant.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Because it is laid out like a low end fast food restaurant, with no decor, acoustics, or booth seating. Big mistake, especially for a Japanese restaurant.
Not sure how big of mistake it is. You can hardly get in there for dinner without a reservation. Their lack of decor certainly doesn’t appear to be hurting business. The food is good. The service is good. I’d rather have that from a nondescript place than crummy food and service from a fancy place.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-08-2024, 05:08 AM

Kumo is great - and you did not have a unique experience. It is always good. The one gotcha is that the prices for dinner can be double the lunch price.

BTW, the have takeout and online ordering.

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:24 AM

We ate there twice foe lunch. It was really good both times. Great service too. We sat outside both times. It was nice. We will go back

Quote:
Old 05-08-2024, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Yes
Old 05-08-2024, 05:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Good review!

I always thought hibachi was synonymous with the communal grill. That part is definitely disappointing.
“ In North America, the term hibachi refers to a small cooking stove heated by charcoal (called a shichirin in Japanese), or to an iron hot plate (called a teppan in Japanese) used in teppanyaki restaurants.”
Hibachi - Wikipedia
Old 05-08-2024, 05:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Good review!

“ In North America, the term hibachi refers to a small cooking stove heated by charcoal (called a shichirin in Japanese), or to an iron hot plate (called a teppan in Japanese) used in teppanyaki restaurants.”
Hibachi - Wikipedia
When I was growing up, this is what we all called a Hibachi. They were popular little grills for use on balconies in apartment houses.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6335.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	104028  
Old 05-08-2024, 05:39 AM

It’s our new favorite sushi place… It’s absolutely Fresh and delicious. (We are hoping that no one finds that
Out though….just kidding)
We love that we didn’t have to wait for a table and everyone was very friendly!

Tags
hibachi, lunch, shrimp, sushi, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.