Kung fu chef

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2023, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
We had lunch at Kung Fu Chef ( Southern Trace ) today.
I’m from NY. so really picky about Chinese food.

We loved Kung Fu Chef!!

Husband got Gen. Tso’s chicken with rice & broccoli
and egg roll. I got Chicken LoMein with a spring roll.
Both were delicious!!

Egg roll good (I didn’t like it because I think it had pork)
but it was good. His Gen. Tso’s was sooooo good.
My LoMein and Spring roll were delicious.

I’ve been bringing Chinese food from Tampa where I
previously lived and Kung Fu was even better.

We will be repeat customers.
Great place! Same people who established Koyame, and sold it, if I have been correctly informed.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:46 AM

Kung Fu is superb!

Best Hot and Sour soup I have had in or near the Villages!

Wonderful service and very clean! It was a pleasure to eat there!
Old 06-15-2023, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,285 Times in 5,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Respectfully, asian cuisine should never come from a buffet if you truly want good asian food...quantity vrs quality. Asian buffets by nature of sitting over heat sources produce over cooked and soggy veggies...not quality asian food.
When the restaurant is crowded and dishes turn over quickly buffet can be good. Find veggies at ichiban nice and crunchy.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
Koyame was sold and rumor has it the food is not as good. KUNG FU CHEF is excellent! They were the owners of Koyame when the food was just as good as Kung Fu Chef.
We love Koyame! It's is consistently delicious! They same people have worked there since we have lived in TV. Kung Fu is good also.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Thanks for posting - I’ve heard from others that Kung Fu is pretty good.

I spent my early adulthood in San Francisco, and got spoiled on authentic and very good Chinese (mostly Cantonese and Hong Kong style). After leaving the Bay Area, I have found most Chinese restaurants lacking, and very “Americanized” with sugary and corn-starch-laden sauces. I finally bought a good wok and self-taught myself to cook good, authentic Chinese dishes, since I wasn’t finding that in most “Chinese” restaurants.

I’m going to try Kung Fu tonight, and will report back.
"Americanized" Chinese is found everywhere including Shanghai, Suzhou and Hangzhou where it is loaded with enough msg to swell anyone's legs.

"Authentic" is a word beloved by food snobs who would recoil from much if it when they saw the exotic animals and body parts on the menu.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,893 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

We loved Kung Fu Chef!!

Both were delicious!!

Forty years ago I was living in Beijing and eating Chinese food at nearly every meal. I loved the food. I’ve also had wonderful Hong Kong style Chinese food in Hong Kong. But there are a lot of food districts in China. In my opinion, south Chinese cooks don’t really know how to cook Chinese food from other areas, even if they are very good at making their own food. I know New York has some outstanding Chinese restaurants, but definitely not all of them! I’ve had mediocre meals in Chinatown. I’ve also had excellent dishes from tiny restaurants in small towns. It really comes down to whether the place has a good cook at that time, not to how fancy the place is. (And a lot of the cooks in Chinese restaurants may have real Chinese cooks, but that doesn’t mean they were trained as cooks in China. Many were not, but instead learned to cook here because they needed a job.) Some dishes, like General Tso’s Chicken and Moo Goo anything and LoMein anything and spring rolls and potstickers (remember Chop Suey?) may taste good, but they are popular American dishes, and not really Chinese. If that’s what you order, I’m not sure I can trust your review. But maybe I’ll try it.

You may think Chinese is Chinese, and where a cook learned doesn’t matter, but what really matters is what the cook grew up EATING. For example, a cook from Shanghai may know a lot about how many Shanghai foods should taste and so know if he is getting that taste when he cooks, but if he hasn’t spent a lot of time eating Szechuan food, he may make it without knowing how it is really supposed to taste. It’s a bit like going to, say, Applebee’s (where I’ve never eaten) and ordering a Philly Cheese Steak or a Hot Pastrami on Rye or Gumbo or even New York-style Pizza. The food may arrive at the restaurant in a single serving plastic bag frozen or is made by a chef who has never tasted the real thing. Consider that in New York a thousand delis make hot pastrami on rye, yet some are much better than others. Same with pizza. Ever gone to London and ordered a Big Mac at McDonald’s? (No, I haven’t either, but I hear that McDonald’s food in England and France and Japan, etc., don’t taste much like what we are used to. That’s partly because the cooks don’t know what the dishes are supposed to taste like.)
Old 06-15-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I mostly carry out Chinese food. Cheng's is my favorite as it's quick, well packaged in stay hot containers, and quite tasty. King Fu Chef is also very good and just a notch below.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage

We were in the area of Koyame last week and decided to have lunch there. Hoped it would be good like the old Koyame but it wasn't. I ordered my favorite, Hot and Sour Soup. The soup had decent hot but not a hint of sour. The Sweet and Sour Chicken didn't have much chicken in it. Can't wait to try Kung Fu Chef.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:55 AM
Smile

The wife and I like Chengs, Kung Fu Chef, Koyame and even Panda Express. All slightly different but all tasty. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. But we keep going anyway.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:

We loved Kung Fu Chef!!

Both were delicious!!

People "from NYC picky about Chinese food"- then first thing mentions a dish (Gen Tso's chicken) that is completely American, is not a Chinese dish.

NYC people believe their own BS.

LOL
Old 06-15-2023, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodyssey View Post
People "from NYC picky about Chinese food"- then first thing mentions a dish (Gen Tso's chicken) that is completely American, is not a Chinese dish.

NYC people believe their own BS.

LOL
Please do not generalize. Having said this some of the Americanized Chinese dishes we have had are still rather good.

And after going to China about a dozen times think I am qualified in my opinion
Old 06-15-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:

We loved Kung Fu Chef!!

Both were delicious!!

Agreed!!

We just closed on our Villages house early May from NY. KungFu was just as good as NY Chinese restaurants.

Also found we love NYPD pizza. We are thinking they must have the water shipped in from NY.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Respectfully, asian cuisine should never come from a buffet if you truly want good asian food...quantity vrs quality. Asian buffets by nature of sitting over heat sources produce over cooked and soggy veggies...not quality asian food.
I agree about a buffet, however they have raw selections and a person that will make your stir fry with everything that you may want to add. (Veggies and protein) While they are cooking I go over and get my hot sauce off the buffet. My only complaint is that their mirrors and windows aren’t clean.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamilak View Post
Agreed!!

We just closed on our Villages house early May from NY. KungFu was just as good as NY Chinese restaurants.

Also found we love NYPD pizza. We are thinking they must have the water shipped in from NY.
While we liked Kung Fu, we found NYPD Pizza to be trash. No better than frozen Sams Club pizza.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
While we liked Kung Fu, we found NYPD Pizza to be trash. No better than frozen Sams Club pizza.
Hard to find pizza that is as good as NY here. Napolino is the closest we have found. Have been getting more Calzones as that is easiest to make well.
Closed Thread

Tags
kung, roll, good, chef, delicious

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.