RJ Gators in Sumter Landing (worth trying again?)

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2023, 06:03 AM
Veteran member
Default RJ Gators in Sumter Landing (worth trying again?)

A couple years ago we had a lifestyle visit and went to RJ Gators and it was awful. Now, this was at the very end of Covid. Places were struggling with help and stuff.

In addition to that we probably chose the wrong things to order. Would have had better luck with wings and burgers. Anyhow I had some grouper that had a pineapple glaze. The fish was mushy and gross, the glaze was like pineapple sauce. The worst part was I had broccoli as a side. When I looked at it, it was black in spots. I just assumed it was grilled/roasted. Well, it was rotten. I mean, putrid rotten. I spit it out and told the waitress. She replaced it with green beans that were obviously from a can.

Wife had Shepards pie and it was also horrible. Clearly not made in house. The mashed potatoes were instant, really. Tasted just like KFC mashed.

Now I don't mind trying a place again if I just made a bad choice on the meal. But the rotten broccoli scared me. I had visions of Gordon Ramsey in a refrigerator screaming, "You'll kill someobody!"

So was I just unlucky? Is the place clean and okay? I love the location and atmosphere. Recent experiences?

ETA just looking for experiences of people on the board that have been there recently.

Last edited by frayedends; 08-29-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,616 Times in 947 Posts

It’s been 3 years,If you like the atmosphere, get a burger or chicken sandwich, something easy.
It’s not a grouper/shepherds pie type of place.

If not, there a lot’s of places to try again.

If you want shepherds pie, try McGrady’s in Sawgrass.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,400 Posts

Sometimes I just wonder………….
Old 08-29-2023, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sometimes I just wonder………….
What is it that you wonder? I'm simply asking for experiences of people that have gone recently. Yelp reviews that are negative seem focused on service rather than food/cleanliness.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
It’s been 3 years,If you like the atmosphere, get a burger or chicken sandwich, something easy.
It’s not a grouper/shepherds pie type of place.

If not, there a lot’s of places to try again.

If you want shepherds pie, try McGrady’s in Sawgrass.
You've gone recently and it's good? I don't disagree on the food choices. I don't think we really knew when we went there.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers4649 View Post
What is it that you wonder? I'm simply asking for experiences of people that have gone recently. Yelp reviews that are negative seem focused on service rather than food/cleanliness.
The review of a couple years ago……
Old 08-29-2023, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Okay I’m not sure what you mean. But my best guess is why I’m mentioning it now. As I said I was on a lifestyle visit. I just signed for a house I close on in 2 weeks. I haven’t seen any recent reviews on the board so I thought I’d ask before trying the place again. Does that clarify what you are asking?
Old 08-29-2023, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Try the YouTube video altemlife rjgators. The videos are done by a young couple who eat at restaurants in our area. I know! It"s boring watching people order food then eat, but this time it might help you decide.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:54 AM
Platinum member

Give it another try.

Service is good. The wings and Philly cheese steak sandwiches are great, and their fish and chips are hand breaded in their kitchen.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Give it another try.

Service is good. The wings and Philly cheese steak sandwiches are great, and their fish and chips are hand breaded in their kitchen.
Thank you for the helpful reply! Glad to hear they handbread the fish. I wouldn’t have expected that.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:08 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,551 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers4649 View Post
Thank you for the helpful reply! Glad to hear they handbread the fish. I wouldn’t have expected that.
Welcome to TV. As for TOTV, I would suggest using the ignore feature to avoid the harassment from the local cyberbully.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,616 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Give it another try.

The wings and French fries are probably good, as are all the fried foods
Drinks are good, happy hour drink specials are good
Go for the environment, the music and the drinks.
Plenty of other places with better menus.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,090 Times in 5,349 Posts

Went with a group of 12 a few months ago.

After ordering and waiting almost an hour had to find a manager to get our food.

Ordered unlimited soup and salad and still waiting on a refill.

Waitress was beyond terrible. Manager never did come back and check on us and waitress took cash and disappeared. Guess she figured otherwise would be no tip and she would have been correct.

Never again. Plenty of better choices
Old 08-29-2023, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,099 Times in 2,754 Posts

We have been going there for years, not often, but 2 - 3 times per year. We like sitting outside with a beautiful view of Lake Sumter and the finishing holes of Riley Grove across the lake. The food is nothing spectacular, but it’s not bad either. I always get the same thing and it’s always good, a cup of she crab soup and the Cajun redfish with rice and beans (last year they changed it from redfish to sea bass and it’s still good). When we have guests we often take them there on an evening when there is an OK band playing and they like the place and enjoy the view. It seems guests always want to order the gator bites just so they can say they ate some gator (they taste like chicken nuggets). If there is a wait for an outside table they give you a beeper so you can walk around the square until your table is ready. If you want fairly consistent dinning with a beautiful view of the lake the place blows away the Lighthouse in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've given them 5 visits. The staff were nice. The small mugs of beer were cold. I've just never enjoyed the taste of the various meals I've tried and I've never went back.
Closed Thread

Tags
rotten, broccoli, made, mashed, glaze

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.