Server needs some grooming

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2020, 11:06 AM

If higher standards were kept by restaurants, maybe there would not be so many complaints!
Old 11-08-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
to start so we could all go to work for 25 cents per hour
A good server can make a lot of money. I waited tables for college money and I could really make bank on a weekend night. You have to know your menu, you have to give great customer service, you have to be pleasant, you have to appear to be clean or you will simply not make as much money as a server who bothers to do those things.

I can not tell you how many job offers I got as a server, too - good paying office jobs. Something else to think about.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I did have options and I wrote corporate...😊
But you sat and ate your meal. Not me. There are plenty of other restaurants to pick from.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:44 AM

You can't discriminate. Particularly if he might have been LBGTQrstuvwxyz.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Last night we went to a restaurant to enjoy a dinner out. We were promptly seated and approached by our server. Our server was a guy. Now before you all go off on me, I’m not racist nor do I care what people chose to do with their lives. He was pleasant. What was disturbing is the fact that he had very long fingernails (made me nauseas) which when he touched our bowls, his nails went over the edge toward the inside of our plates. He also had a BLM mask on, plenty of earrings and other visible piercings, and long hair which was held back by sparkly Hair clips. I had all I could do to eat my dinner without constantly seeing those long fingernails. When I go out to eat, I don’t go out to have any political, religious or other personal preference shoved in my face. I go to relax and chat with my husband over some good food.

I would think that these long nails would be a health concern for the restaurant. Think of the gross stuff that is under those nails??

I did come home and write to corporate. People have the right to be who they want to be , however when their poor hygiene affects my food and a dining experience I paid for, it crosses the line for me.

Blast off!
This is very well said without “offending” anyone. That’s another word I’m sick of. This was gross. What the hell is happening in this world? I’m afraid I would’ve left without eating. Hope you didn’t leave a tip!!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,444 Times in 5,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham@aol.com View Post
This is very well said without “offending” anyone. That’s another word I’m sick of. This was gross. What the hell is happening in this world? I’m afraid I would’ve left without eating. Hope you didn’t leave a tip!!
Could have left him a note that said something along the line here is a tip. Pay attention to your grooming.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:14 PM

Would you have felt the same if some sexy girl with long blond hair, a White Girl Power hat, tight revealing shorts and long sparklie nails served you? Or would yo have been distracted by her firm bouncy butt?
Old 11-08-2020, 01:17 PM

I agree with you totally. I think I would have asked for another table, or just left without ordering (hopefully that waiter was the one that came to the table to take your order.??)
Old 11-08-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
Back when I waited tables, servers were required to keep their nails relatively short, clean, any nail polish had to be clear or very light neutral pink. Long hair had to be put up in a bun with a hairnet around the bun part, uniforms had to be clean and wrinkle free, you could have no odor either from fragrances or BO. Make up had to be light. If you showed up to work in violation of any of those rules you would be sent home as a no call/no show if the situation could not be corrected right then and there (nail polish remover, hair net, etc). If you got sent home enough within a certain time span, you would be fired.
I agree!! It's not an issue of gender, race, political or religious views, it's an issue of laws in food service and the respect of the restaurant owner/corp. that provides jobs to servers like us. If it's ok to come to work and serve food without following dept of health guidelines then I guess it's ok for your dentist, doctor or surgeon to slack off too.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,217 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I prefer to see servers wearing gloves and a mask. And I want everyone in the kitchen to be wearing a mask and gloves, too.
Wearing gloves is the worst thing a server or any food preparer can do. Why? They think wearing gloves makes it safe for them NOT to wash their hands frequently. Most people, misunderstand the use of gloves. The gloves are worn to protect the person wearing the gloves, not the patrons. When someone wears gloves, they do not realize that the gloves harbor germs just a readily as bare hands do. Not removing the gloves and donning a new pair of gloves is a recipe for disaster.

Don't wear gloves but wash or sanitize hands frequently. That is the way to go. Ditch the gloves unless you have a cut on your hands and you must protect yourself. If that is the case, wash your gloved hands frequently if you don't want to constantly have to change gloves.

Which brings me to the proper way to don and remove gloves. There is a proper way to do this so as not to contaminate clean hands. I would bet many people have no idea how to do this. Hence.....wearing gloves is a very BAD idea.

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-08-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,204 Times in 908 Posts

I read that long nails are not supposed to be worn in restaurants which maybe so, but I wonder if the disgust was mostly a sexist thing. Women with long nails and long hair clipped back probably wouldn't have stirred the same reaction right?
Old 11-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,024 Times in 5,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteone View Post
Would you have felt the same if some sexy girl with long blond hair, a White Girl Power hat, tight revealing shorts and long sparklie nails served you? Or would yo have been distracted by her firm bouncy butt?
That's a tough question. But, if I had to be honest, the answer would be no. To both questions actually.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-08-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:34 PM

I'm glad you didn't name the restaurant because they are struggling to stay alive in the covid crisis.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:52 PM

We all have things that gross us out. Has nothing to do with being racist(which I don';t understand what the person is has anything to do with it) or anything else. I have a friend who told me she gets grossed out from servers who are covered in tattoos. My daughter is a pastry chef and is covered in tattoos. My friend did order a speciality cake from her. I guess because she is my daughter and knows so much about her, she had no problem. Can not judge a book by its cover. I also have to add that in the food industry you are not supposed to have long, or painted nails. My point is, I couldn't care less if they are male and wearing a ballet tootoo! But the hands touching my dish is another thing!
Old 11-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteone View Post
I would consider that to be unprofessional and gross. I prefer clean uniforms and a neat well manicured appearance so I would avoid eating an establishment with servers attired as you describe. I would truly wonder about the cleanliness of the kitchen and the restaurant's standards for food preparation.
Closed Thread

Tags
long, server, nails, dinner, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.