The Speckled Butter Bean Restaurant in Wildwood

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Sage
Smile The Speckled Butter Bean Restaurant in Wildwood

A friend of mine told me about this restaurant (out on Hwy. 44) so we went there together. She told me it would be better than the Golden Corral. Well, it all depends on what you're interested in. In some ways it was better but in other ways it was a lot worse.

One bad thing that stood out was the noise from people moving their chairs in and out. The chairs had metal legs that would scrape against the concrete floor. If you were careful to lift your weight off of the chair while moving it, it wouldn't be too bad. But there were too many people who just didn't care to make the effort. It made the Golden Corral look like a high-class restaurant by comparison.

On the plus side, they did have some very good vegetable choices.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I prefer The Golden Corral.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Sage

Both Golden Corral and Butter Bean are buffet restaurants that have "Quantity Instead Of Quality".
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Good for breakfast

we went there on our way back north and it was a great place to get a good breakfast quickly. In fact I did take out as we had the 2 dogs in the car, so we ate in the parking lot. It was better than the fast food which only offer bunwich type breakfasts. I could get my share of crisp bacon and DH could get his fill of scrambled eggs. Can't say anything about the other meals. We are't great fans of buffets although we have tried many. As was said, it is usually quantity over quality, but it works for breakfast. BTW the Red Sauce breakfast buffet was well worth it. And DH like the Hacienda on Sundays...... for me it was just OK, but I like the music.

LW888
Old 01-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Both Golden Corral and Butter Bean are buffet restaurants that have "Quantity Instead Of Quality".
Well, whenever I go to a "quality" restaruant, I often end up disappointed. Perhaps it's because I don't go often enough and I don't know exactly what I'm going to get. If it's not what I expected, I'll only get one shot at it, so I'll leave disappointed. In a buffet, I find that if I don't care for something, I can go back and try something else and I usually end up satisfied.

Would you please tell me something about the quality that you look for in a restaurant? Is it the fish, meat, vegetables, bread, dessert? All of these items seem to be very good at the Golden Corral. Of course, for the price they charge during the week, they don't have the big steaks or salmon. But what they do have seems like good quality to me.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Eternal Member

We tried Speckled Butter Bean once and we were not that impressed. The chicken was good but the other meat choice was dried out pork. I liked the sides (mostly southern sides) but my wife did not.

We prefer Golden Corral. Great chicken and many more different choices of meat dishes and vegetables.

I think that the Golden Corral has QUALITY as well as QUANTITY. It is a buffet.

And they have some great desserts.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
We tried Speckled Butter Bean once and we were not that impressed. The chicken was good but the other meat choice was dried out pork. I liked the sides (mostly southern sides) but my wife did not.

We prefer Golden Corral. Great chicken and many more different choices of meat dishes and vegetables.

My situation is a little complicated because I'm a vegan and my lady-friend is not. She likes meat. But, strangely, she has taken a liking to Speckled Butter Bean and they have few meat choices. I guess I could live with either restaurant but I definitely agree with you that Golden Corral has many more choices of just about everything. They even have fresh fruit.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post

I've never been to a buffet that had real quality food.Always lots of quantity,but not quality.Bottom line is they must make a profit to stay in business,and a buffet can't make it selling quality and charging the very reasonable prices they do.Buffet's helped me feed myself throughout college,and for that i will be eternally grateful.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
My situation is a little complicated because I'm a vegan and my lady-friend is not. She likes meat. But, strangely, she has taken a liking to Speckled Butter Bean and they have few meat choices. I guess I could live with either restaurant but I definitely agree with you that Golden Corral has many more choices of just about everything. They even have fresh fruit.

I too see nothing wrong with the quality of food at Golden Corral. I only eat certain items such as the fried chicken(very good) and some side items and the salad bar is usually excellent. Hard to complain even you only eat one or two different items for the price.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Platinum member

I haven't been to Speckled Butter Bean, so cannot comment on their offerings. On the other hand, I have been to Golden Corral a number of times and remain amazed at what you can get there for the very reasonable senior rate of $11, or thereabouts! 5-star quality? Not really, I think. But not "trash," either!

My biggest objection: no wine or beer to go with my din-din! :-( :-(

SWR
Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Veteran member

We've been to the Butter Bean and were disappointed. We've also been to several Golden Corrals in various cities and thought they were just so so. However, the Golden Corral in TV is actually pretty good. I love their salad bar and the pot roast.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
I've never been to a buffet that had real quality food.
No one yet has explained what they mean by quality. Do they offer organically grown vegetables? I don't think anyone expects that and it's not important to me. The same goes for the meat. We don't expect grass-fed beef or free range chickens etc..

There's only one thing I've noticed that doesn't look as good as I would expect. The tomato wedges. But they taste good. I'm not sure what the quality is but I wouldn't be surprised if they're grown in Mexico. That's the only thing I've noticed.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Sage

If you are happy with going to Save-A-Lot Grocery store and getting their produce and meat, you are probably going to be happy with the Butter Bean.

The quality is not prime meat but their price is not prime either. You are paying around $10 for all you can eat and what can you expect for that price?

At Ruth Chris Steak House, you will pay $45 for just a steak and then add on the creamed spinach and the baked potato and have a glass of wine and you will have a total for 2 people of around $150 plus tip.

You get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Default Canned food

If you liked canned food, and not fresh food, or food socking in water, then the Golding Coral is for you. As for the Butter Bean it's not much better. And by the way neither one of these has trained chefs.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
At Ruth Chris Steak House, you will pay $45 for just a steak and then add on the creamed spinach and the baked potato and have a glass of wine and you will have a total for 2 people of around $150 plus tip.

You get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely, nothing wrong with that if that's your thing. Just to compare, for $150, I figured roughly (the early bird special at G.C.) that two people could eat every day for 8 days and that would include the tip. That's a lot of enjoyment!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.