Top Ten Restaurants in The Villages\

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2023, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I have to agree about Lighthouse - I went there twice last year on my lifestyle visits and wasn’t impressed either time. I decided to return this week, as I read the owners are going to try and improve the place after selling Augustine’s. It was even worse than I remember. I really want to like this place, as it has a great location and view. I just wish they would “up’ their game with their menu and quality of seafood, this place could be the “jewel” of the villages.
Seven or eight years ago it was our number one go to place, excellent seafood and service at reasonable prices. Suddenly it started a slow and steady decline that still seems to be finding a floor? Not even on our list of places to consider anymore. If we want to sit outdoors and have a nice view of Lake Sumter and Riley Grove across the lake, we go to RJ Gators.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
For those that mentioned Trip advisor - I just did the same thing on that site - sorted by highest rated - Here is their top ten, very different list:

1) Red Sauce
2) Legacy - Nancy Lopez CC
3) Glenview CC
4) Square 1
5) Amerikanos
6) Cane Garden CC
7) Johnny Rockets
8) Bonefish
9) VKI
10) Thai Ruby
How Johnny Rockets gets on any top 10 list is beyond me.
Food is awful.
Even grandson didn't like it, and he considers McD's as fine dining!
Old 08-13-2023, 11:02 AM

Costal Del Mar and Harvest
Old 08-13-2023, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
For those that mentioned Trip advisor - I just did the same thing on that site - sorted by highest rated - Here is their top ten, very different list:

1) Red Sauce
2) Legacy - Nancy Lopez CC
3) Glenview CC
4) Square 1
5) Amerikanos
6) Cane Garden CC
7) Johnny Rockets
8) Bonefish
9) VKI
10) Thai Ruby
The last time I went to Amerikano's, they served wine in a stemmed plastic glass. I drink cheap wine at home, but at least I use a real glass.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Bummer, haven’t been there since early May. Used to really like the crab quesadillas that Naldo’s had : (
That location can’t stay constant, first lost Crispers, which we really liked, and now Naldo’s. Looks like we are back to Ay Jalisco as the go to Mexican joint.
We’ve only eaten there twice, so weren’t really familiar with the menu, so be sure to at least check it out first before giving up on them. I’ve read patrons are happy so far. Could be some of the same items are still on the menu, if not all.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:44 AM

I totally agree with you. Not the list of 10 but what you show is missing.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:50 PM
Platinum member

My favorite is Prima Italian Steak in Brownwood.

Also like:
Bonefish Grill
Thai Ruby
Havana CC
Kung Fu Chef
Old 08-14-2023, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I agree the TV Gourmet Club website is extensive and only members (must be a Village residents) can post. There's no anonymous reviews or general comments like "Great Place 5 Star" like you see on Yelp, Trip Advisor and Google. This site is a lot more unbiased and believable. We use it a lot.

Skip
In its hay day we used it a lot, then review became stale
Problem is rarely do you see updated reviews, many are very old, not up to date. Maybe their members have dropped in being as active returning to restaurants that have been reviewed in the last 6 months. If a review hasn’t been in the last 6 months or less, I Don’t count on it to be reliable
Old 08-14-2023, 07:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
I went onto Yelp, which has been a trusted guide for me when searching for good restaurants, especially when I’m traveling. I sorted all the restaurants in The Villages (must be “inside” the bubble and golf-cart accessible), based on what received the best over-all reviews (not necessarily the most reviews). Here is what came up as the top ten (is your favorite listed here?)

1) Chicken Salad Chick
2) Coastal Del Mar
3) Legacy Pool Bar and Grill
4) Island Fin Poke
5) First Watch
6) Reveille Cafe
7) Harvest
8) Kung Fu Chef
9) Koyame
10) No. #1 Chinese
I have never been to any of these so I guess none of our favorites are on the list. Some of our favorites are Red Sauce, The Back Porch, Glenview, Belle Glade and Cody’s Brownwood if they are having a good night.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Seven or eight years ago it was our number one go to place, excellent seafood and service at reasonable prices. Suddenly it started a slow and steady decline that still seems to be finding a floor? Not even on our list of places to consider anymore. If we want to sit outdoors and have a nice view of Lake Sumter and Riley Grove across the lake, we go to RJ Gators.
Same, liked it when we were first down 8 years ago, with the owners being from New England they did a good job. I think they forgot what they knew about New England seafood. Did not realize they sold Augustine’s, when did that happen?
Old 08-15-2023, 10:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,641 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Same, liked it when we were first down 8 years ago, with the owners being from New England they did a good job. I think they forgot what they knew about New England seafood. Did not realize they sold Augustine’s, when did that happen?
Augustine’s was just sold a few months ago - Closed now - Will reopen soon as a new restaurant, owned by the FMK group.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Augustine’s was just sold a few months ago - Closed now - Will reopen soon as a new restaurant, owned by the FMK group.
Will be Italian and should open in November. Extensive renovation.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
In its hay day we used it a lot, then review became stale
Problem is rarely do you see updated reviews, many are very old, not up to date. Maybe their members have dropped in being as active returning to restaurants that have been reviewed in the last 6 months. If a review hasn’t been in the last 6 months or less, I Don’t count on it to be reliable
True, with a limited membership and over 100 restaurants in The Villages alone, you won't see new reviews every month on each and every restaurant.

Also when a chef leaves abruptly, the ratings can go from 13 down to 7 in no time.

It is what it is. Still a great reliable honest local resource.

Skip
Old 08-15-2023, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Augustine’s wasn’t sold, it was closed. A new FMK restaurant is slated to be opening in that location this fall. Won’t be a seafood place since Costal Del Mar is also in the square. Looking forward to the new dinning option in Spanish Springs.

Whoops, got interrupted during the post and when I cam back to finish it others had already said the same thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, top, ten, reviews, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.