Vegetarian or Vegan Restaurants?

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimalto View Post
How insensitive and demeaning to service folks in typically Asian restaurants. ( "Meesie,you try eet. You like eet" )!
Actually. It was in Puerto Rico at a sales meeting that I was asking the service staff the contents of one of the dishes served. Because I was not able to speak Spanish and the dear person who could speak my language but not well, answered with "Missy, you try it, you will like it.."

You would have to know me to believe that I did not mean to tell my anecdotal experience in such a way as to demean anyone. I honor all people who speak my language when I cannot speak theirs.

In my case, since my reaction to ingesting any food with shellfish as an ingredient can lead to anaphylactic shock and unless treated immediately a deadly drop in blood pressure and closing off of airways and death, I HAVE to know what I am eating.

I just didn't eat anything at those meals in Puerto Rico because I was aware that we were not communicating. The server did not understand that it was more than just a preference.

It was not at an Asian restaurant. It was in another country where they made me feel most welcome and spoke my language, just in this case not fluently.

And Jimalto,Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-03-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
I think Gracie was phonetically trying to duplicate what the restaurant employee said. Let's try to be a little less sensitive.
I was. To me it is like the Bahston folks who Pahk their cahs.

We ALL have accents.

Unless we are from Ohio.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Actually. It was in Peurto Rico at a sales meeting that I was asking the service staff the contents of one of the dishes served. Because I was not able to speak Spanish and the dear person who could speak my language but not well, answered with "Missy, you try it, you will like it.."

You would have to know me to believe that I did not mean to tell my anecdotal experience in such a way as to demean anyone. I honor all people who speak my language when I cannot speak theirs.

In my case, since my reaction to ingesting any food with shellfish as an ingredient can lead to anaphylactic shock and unless treated immediately a deadly drop in blood pressure and closing off of airways and death, I HAVE to know what I am eating.

I just didn't eat anything at those meals in Peurto Rico because I was aware that we were not communicating. The server did not understand that it was more than just a preference.

It was not at an Asian restaurant. It was in another country where they made me feel most welcome and spoke my language, just in this case not fluently.

And Jimalto,Welcome to the forum.
i was not offended
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM
TOTV Moderator

Let's get back on topic of Veg/Vegan Restaurants.

If you have a question about admin/moderator actions, address it via PM to the Admin, not on an open thread.

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Dancing Thyme

I agree with Gracie... my allergy to shellfish is not as deadly,,, although since I haven't eaten any in 30+ years, it could be but I'm not testing it!!

I get very nervous when a restaurant serves a lot of shellfish with everything and they think its such a treat (yes, for some, but not Gracie & I). When Sakura first opened, they were servicing a few shrimp on the top of their side salad that came with the meal. When it arrived, the new staff who did not speak much English, were shocked that I had to turn it away and also request that they had to start from scratch and couldn't just take the shrimp off and give me the salad. Communicating was very scary because most people would ohh & ahhh at the treat instead of being flabergasted. I've notice since then they do not do this any longer, but I still mention it when I'm ordering.

Another thing I have a problem with is Strawberries, and it scares me to death that they will just remove them from the fruit cup and not realize it had been touching the other fruit. I have to go to great lengths to make them understand all this.

We had a restaurant in LA called Follow your Heart, a wonderful place with the most incredible food. I'm sorry to say to those looking for vegan or vegetarian restaurants here, you'll be out of luck. Remember, this is the South, we are here and I've even learned to like grits... LOL.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
I'm sorry to say to those looking for vegan or vegetarian restaurants here, you'll be out of luck.
While we won't find exclusive vegan or vegetarian restaurants, we already have ear marked several choices for our visit later this month, we're not concerned about those choices, we won't starve.

Last edited by jimbo2012; 09-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Here is a new Vegan place in Mt Dora. Heard about it on the Villages Gourmet Club site. No reviews yet, and we have not tried it yet. Menu looks pretty good.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
Here is a new Vegan place in Mt Dora. Heard about it on the Villages Gourmet Club site. No reviews yet, and we have not tried it yet. Menu looks pretty good.
It isn't cooked. It is WARMED to 118 degrees. Interesting.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Sage

Yes, interesting find.
My wife was familiar with this type of cooking, it's considered live food, meaning the nutrients, vitamins and minerals aren't cooked out.

Our question is if they use oil in their cooking, it is closer to a raw food perhaps.

Not sure where Mt Dora is, but we would give it try probably.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Sage

We emailed the restaurant about their cooking.

"We use almost no oil in our foods. A few items, mostly some desserts, have a small amount of organic raw coconut oil, but not much. We do not “cook”. Nothing is heated above 118°. Our food is organic, vegan, live and gluten free and no GMO’s!
Regards, Chef T"

It's about 25 miles.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
While we won't find exclusive vegan or vegetarian restaurants, we already have ear marked several choices for our visit later this month, we're not concerned about those choices, we won't starve.

Hey Jimbo... what places are you planning on visiting? I can usually find something almost anywhere I go and don't worry to much about it but would love to know of the places you've found!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Sage

We tried Thai Ruby & Koyame so far both good.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.