We like Red Sauce because it allows pets outside

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Wow...TV is supposedly a pet friendly community. There are plenty of outdoor facilities and areas where dogs aren't allowed, but then there are those places where they are allowed. And if a dog is allowed to sit in the outdoor patio area at Red Sauce, or in the square, or at the Farmer's Market, then their owners have every right to take them there without being ridiculed. And folks who don't like it certainly have the right to go elsewhere. Every dog is an individual, with it's own personality. No one but the the owner of an individual dog knows what that dog enjoys doing. Some dogs may not enjoy crowds of strangers, but others do enjoy it. And as long as it's a "pet friendly" area, and the dog is behaving, then it's no one else's business.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe true that dogs are good but I don't think they belong at a restaurant. What if one is there and a second comes in and doesn't get along with the first. There's a fight and someone gets bit. Who's responsible the dog owners or the restaurant owner ? Just a question.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM

I am not a dog person, but based on my experience, your small child probably has more potential to annoy others than your dog.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM

Can't be too much of a problem. Plenty of restaurants cater to dog owners, no pun intended. We see this especially in Dallas in the uptown area where there are many outdoor places to eat.

Dog Friendly Restaurants Worldwide
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Maybe true that dogs are good but I don't think they belong at a restaurant. What if one is there and a second comes in and doesn't get along with the first. There's a fight and someone gets bit. Who's responsible the dog owners or the restaurant owner ? Just a question.
I believe the dog owner would be responsible, just like they are responsible for the actions of their dog anywhere else. But if a private business has concerns about law suits then they can ban (non-service) dogs. It's their choice. If they choose to allow dogs in designated areas, that's their choice. But in all the time I've lived here I've never see multiple dogs on patios and I've never witnessed a dog fight on the street, square, etc. I'm sure it's happened on a rare occasion, but the majority of dog owners I see have good control of their dogs and know how to avoid potential problems.

My main point is that there are all kinds of allowable activities around here that some folks don't like. Whether it be dogs in public, unruly kids, line dancers, drinking in the square, bicycle riders, joggers, etc., etc. But if it's allowed, it's allowed...and if someone doesn't like it, they can leave. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like something. If we outlawed all the activities that people complain about, we might as well just sit on the porch in a rocking chair and knit booties and carve wood. I think folks need to lighten up and not sweat the petty stuff (or pet the sweaty stuff).
Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Well said Skybo! I didn't think that my post would generate so much discussion.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Default Sumter County Permit Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall View Post
Oh I would say it would be next to impossible for anyone to have posted 116 posts and not have at least an idea this topic would generate a whole lot of discussion.

It is not ONLY the business owner's decision as a Sumter County permit is required and Cody's is the only restaurant that has one and they are subject to fines if they don't have the permit.

Having a permit requires a whole list of sanitation requirements which usually are not followed.

ALL the information below was taken from another thread on this subject and there are many: And NO the response mentioned was not to me. With so much misinformation and off the wall opinions it appeared this was needed to clear things up.

Only Cody's has a permit
The responsive official from the Sumter (no p) County Government answered my asking if any restaurants had permits for non-service dogs to be allowed in the outdoor dining areas. Only Cody's in LSL has such a permit. Here is his email:

Presently, Cody’s Road House in Lake Sumter Landings in The Villages is the only restaurant in Sumter County permitted under Section 13-735 of the Land Development Code. If you have observed dogs being allowed into outdoor dining areas in unpermitted restaurants, please advise me and I will contact the restaurant to advise them of the permit requirements. If you have visited Cody’s Road House and believe they are not complying with the requirements of their permit, please also let me know and I will assign an inspector to review their compliance.

If you have any additional questions, please contact me.
Karl E. Holley, AICP
Director of Development Services
Sumter County Board of Commissioners
7375 Powell Road
Wildwood, Florida 34785
(352) 689-4463
Sumter County, FL - Official Website

So for those who are unhappy with dogs, or possible lack of compliance with all the sanitary rules, you have your contact information.

State of Florida Statutes:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0509.233.html

Last edited by Easyrider; 10-03-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Sage

This was posted by Blueash on 4/15/13 on the other thread titled "Three large dogs in City Fire Restaurant", which was quite heated. There are many reasons to be hesitant about allowing pet dogs in restaurant patios.

Blueash 4/15/13:

The responsive official from the Sumter (no p) County Government answered my email asking if any restaurants had permits for non-service dogs to be allowed in the outdoor dining areas. Only Cody's in LSL has such a permit. Here is his email:

Presently, Cody’s Road House in Lake Sumter Landings in The Villages is the only restaurant in Sumter County permitted under Section 13-735 of the Land Development Code. If you have observed dogs being allowed into outdoor dining areas in unpermitted restaurants, please advise me and I will contact the restaurant to advise them of the permit requirements. If you have visited Cody’s Road House and believe they are not complying with the requirements of their permit, please also let me know and I will assign an inspector to review their compliance.

Karl E. Holley, AICP
7375 Powell Road
Wildwood, Florida 34785
(352) 689-4463
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
This was posted by Blueash on 4/15/13 on the other thread titled "Three large dogs in City Fire Restaurant", which was quite heated. There are many reasons to be hesitant about allowing pet dogs in restaurant patios.

Blueash 4/15/13:

The responsive official from the Sumter (no p) County Government answered my email asking if any restaurants had permits for non-service dogs to be allowed in the outdoor dining areas. Only Cody's in LSL has such a permit. Here is his email:

Karl E. Holley, AICP
7375 Powell Road
Wildwood, Florida 34785
(352) 689-4463

This site further spells out the STATE OF FLORIDA requirements to have a permit of which some are listed below the link:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

From the website above:

1. All public food service establishment employees shall wash their hands promptly after touching, petting, or otherwise handling dogs. Employees shall be prohibited from touching, petting, or otherwise handling dogs while serving food or beverages or handling tableware or before entering other parts of the public food service establishment.
2. Patrons in a designated outdoor area shall be advised that they should wash their hands before eating. Waterless hand sanitizer shall be provided at all tables in the designated outdoor area.
3. Employees and patrons shall be instructed that they shall not allow dogs to come into contact with serving dishes, utensils, tableware, linens, paper products, or any other items involved in food service operations.
4. Patrons shall keep their dogs on a leash at all times and shall keep their dogs under reasonable control.
5. Dogs shall not be allowed on chairs, tables, or other furnishings.
6. All table and chair surfaces shall be cleaned and sanitized with an approved product between seating of patrons. Spilled food and drink shall be removed from the floor or ground between seating of patrons.
7. Accidents involving dog waste shall be cleaned immediately and the area sanitized with an approved product. A kit with the appropriate materials for this purpose shall be kept near the designated outdoor area.
8. A sign or signs reminding employees of the applicable rules shall be posted on premises in a manner and place as determined by the local permitting authority.
9. A sign or signs reminding patrons of the applicable rules shall be posted on premises in a manner and place as determined by the local permitting authority.
10. A sign or signs shall be posted in a manner and place as determined by the local permitting authority that places the public on notice that the designated outdoor area is available for the use of patrons and patrons’ dogs.
11. Dogs shall not be permitted to travel through indoor or nondesignated outdoor portions of the public food service establishment, and ingress and egress to the designated outdoor portions of the public food service establishment must not require entrance into or passage through any indoor area of the food establishment.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:34 PM

Very interesting! I can only envision seeing a bag of dog doo-doo under the table and think the people had not washed their hands after sitting down to eat, as I tried to enjoy my dinner outside on a beautiful evening! I love dogs - but not in restaurants
Yikes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandall View Post
I would have predicted it would. My dogs love going to the town square, I use them to save seats, we have dinner and they can pee without annoying my neighbors.

Everyone loves my dogs and if they don't they can keep it to themselves. It's all good.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 AM

anyone who doesn't want to eat in a restaurant allowing dogs will starve on a european vacation.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
anyone who doesn't want to eat in a restaurant allowing dogs will starve on a european vacation.
Have been to a number of Restaurants in Europe. Never saw a dog.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post
Have been to a number of Restaurants in Europe. Never saw a dog.
Saw it occasionally in Rome.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany, never saw one dog in a restaurant nor the outside seating areas..and we had great food..daily.

Last edited by Easyrider; 10-04-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.