Broker advice Broker advice - Talk of The Villages Florida

Broker advice

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
BuyckCabin BuyckCabin is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 25
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Broker advice

I'm currently 50. Planning to retire in 7 years. Been reading and learning and researching a lot and despite my plans, there is one thing that still nags at me. I have Ameriprise managing my funds but the fees gnaw at me mentally, and financially.

I'm seriously considering shifting all my funds to my Fidelity accounts and managing them mostly by myself. That I think I feel comfortable with. It's the tax management that I'm not so comfortable with or at least don't fully understand how to optimize.

I currently have custodial accounts for my boys with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments.

I am thinking of following the Bogglehead method, however I am close to retiring, not 30 years away. I have been maxing out my 401K and maximizing my employer match for years. Maxing out my ROTH and my wife's ROTH for years. Plus putting any extra in a Private Brokerage account (this year) with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments.

I max out my 401k every year. My employer match is around $6,000-$6500 this year.

I max out her ROTH and my ROTH each year. Then I put as much as I can away in a Personal Brokerage Account and whatnot.

Hence why I say "I am" planning to retire in 7 years at 57. She'll still be working. We are each "expected" to contribute 1/2 the monthly expenses to the household (that's always been our arrangement). The rest of each person's money is there's to do with as they please. I've been carrying the health insurance burden for the entirety of our relationship. So I can either be on her plan or go on MNSure which isn't so bad.

I plan to take SS at 62. I don't care about the reduction; I have a life to live. My estimated SS check at 62 will be around $2900+ based on corrected calculations including me making minimum of 100K for the next 7 years.

We will be selling the FL house and moving back to MN where taxes will be much cheaper, and cost of living will be cheaper, and quality of life will be drastically better. The proceeds from the sale of the house here will pay cash for the MN house.

So, that brings us back to the original question of transferring all our assets out of Ameriprise to Fidelity. Or leave them as is and simply put all future savings into Fidelity. Or trial the Fidelity thing for a year and see how it goes before moving Ameriprise funds.

Is managing all that by yourself feasible?

Last edited by BuyckCabin; Today at 10:10 AM.
  #2  
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,098
Thanks: 16
Thanked 6,407 Times in 2,865 Posts
Default

You forgot to mention what you had for breakfast...........
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
BuyckCabin BuyckCabin is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 25
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

You got a problem details that are pertinent to the problem?
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,098
Thanks: 16
Thanked 6,407 Times in 2,865 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyckCabin View Post
You got a problem details that are pertinent to the problem?
No problem, just the first time on TOTV that a poster reveled their total net worth, (In detail)
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
BuyckCabin BuyckCabin is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 25
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
No problem, just the first time on TOTV that a poster reveled their total net worth, (In detail)
Gotcha. I never understood the secrecy with money.
1. I’m anonymous.
2. Nobody cares about my money.
3. The only way someone can truly help is to have details.
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Stu from NYC Stu from NYC is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 16,037
Thanks: 1,313
Thanked 16,774 Times in 6,682 Posts
Default

I would never post personal info on a public site.
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Smalley's Avatar
Smalley Smalley is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 434
Thanks: 801
Thanked 317 Times in 157 Posts
Default

You are smart to consider lowering your investment management fees as much as possible. The fees over time become significant in a bad way. Vanguard pioneered the low cost index fund approach which we also follow. And congratulations on being such a consistent investor. Good luck.
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
BuyckCabin BuyckCabin is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 25
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

. . .
  #9  
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
kingofbeer kingofbeer is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 776
Thanks: 4
Thanked 365 Times in 232 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyckCabin View Post
I'm currently 50. Planning to retire in 7 years. Been reading and learning and researching a lot and despite my plans, there is one thing that still nags at me. I have Ameriprise managing my funds but the fees gnaw at me mentally, and financially.

I'm seriously considering shifting all my funds to my Fidelity accounts and managing them mostly by myself. That I think I feel comfortable with. It's the tax management that I'm not so comfortable with or at least don't fully understand how to optimize.

I currently have custodial accounts for my boys with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments.

I am thinking of following the Bogglehead method, however I am close to retiring, not 30 years away. I have been maxing out my 401K and maximizing my employer match for years. Maxing out my ROTH and my wife's ROTH for years. Plus putting any extra in a Private Brokerage account (this year) with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments.

Here is the real math. These are the Ameriprise numbers. My wife and I have $130,776 in Personal Brokerage Accounts (mine is $57,611). We have $276,748 in Trad IRA ($235,226 is mine). We have $46,627 in ROTH ($30,978 is mine). Grand total of around $454,000 today.

On top of that I have $62,000 in the current 401k. She has about $10,000 in her 401k. We make around $200,000 a year (give or take depending on my OT). We owe 72,000 on the house (will be paid off in 7 years).

I max out my 401k to the tune of $32,500 this year. My employer match is around $6,000-$6500 this year. She puts in about $13,000 a year into hers. We need the tax breaks.

I max out her ROTH and my ROTH each year. Then I put as much as I can away in a Personal Brokerage Account and whatnot (about $10,000 this year). Our Emergency Fund is fully funded ($30,000).

Hence why I say "I am" planning to retire in 7 years at 57. She'll still be working. We are each "expected" to contribute 1/2 the monthly expenses to the household (that's always been our arrangement). The rest of each person's money is there's to do with as they please. I've been carrying the health insurance burden for the entirety of our relationship. So I can either be on her plan or go on MNSure which isn't so bad.

I plan to take SS at 62. I don't care about the reduction; I have a life to live. My estimated SS check at 62 will be around $2900+ based on corrected calculations including me making minimum of 100K for the next 7 years.

We will be selling the FL house and moving back to MN where taxes will be much cheaper, and cost of living will be cheaper, and quality of life will be drastically better. The proceeds from the sale of the house here will pay cash for the MN house.

So, that brings us back to the original question of transferring all our assets out of Ameriprise to Fidelity. Or leave them as is and simply put all future savings into Fidelity. Or trial the Fidelity thing for a year and see how it goes before moving Ameriprise funds.

Is managing all that by yourself feasible?
Leave Ameriprise due to higher fees. Fidelity is a good choice. Ideally you would have well over 1 million in savings plus 401k. I don't see enough money in your 401k of $276,748 for retirement. I would suggest to keep on working until at least 62 and contribute to your 401k and roth to build up your retirement savings.
  #10  
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
BuyckCabin BuyckCabin is online now
Newbie
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 25
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
Leave Ameriprise due to higher fees. Fidelity is a good choice. Ideally you would have well over 1 million in savings plus 401k. I don't see enough money in your 401k of $276,748 for retirement. I would suggest to keep on working until at least 62 and contribute to your 401k and roth to build up your retirement savings.
Thank you for the response.

I know my finances well. And I know I don’t need to live like most people do here. I’ll never understand needing 7,000 or 10,000 a month. $4000/month is enough to support both my wife and I fully. We are going back to the basics. Simple life. 1.0 to 1.25 million plus to bridge until SS will be way more than enough.

I don’t care about preserving wealth and passing on an inheritance. I didn’t kill myself working to make my kid’s retirements easier.

I also know I have one life to live and I hate working.

I know I’m going back to growing my veggies and splitting my wood and shooting my own meat sources in the woods. I know I’ll be more satisfied and healthier. I know that doesn’t require fancy cars and fancy cruises and eating out at restaurants and big houses with high insurance rates and high tax rates.

A modest 7% yearly average growth on the money I currently have plus the 50-60K per year I’m saving every year for the next 7 years will easily reach that number. If the market tanks and my plans have to shift, I’ll deal with that scenario then. But the plan is, punch out in 2467 days for the last time.

Last edited by BuyckCabin; Yesterday at 09:21 PM.
  #11  
Old Today, 05:08 AM
ltcdfancher ltcdfancher is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Nov 2024
Location: Well Point
Posts: 181
Thanks: 151
Thanked 145 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyckCabin View Post
Thank you for the response.

I know my finances well. And I know I don’t need to live like most people do here. I’ll never understand needing 7,000 or 10,000 a month. $4000/month is enough to support both my wife and I fully. We are going back to the basics. Simple life. 1.0 to 1.25 million plus to bridge until SS will be way more than enough.

I don’t care about preserving wealth and passing on an inheritance. I didn’t kill myself working to make my kid’s retirements easier.

I also know I have one life to live and I hate working.

I know I’m going back to growing my veggies and splitting my wood and shooting my own meat sources in the woods. I know I’ll be more satisfied and healthier. I know that doesn’t require fancy cars and fancy cruises and eating out at restaurants and big houses with high insurance rates and high tax rates.

A modest 7% yearly average growth on the money I currently have plus the 50-60K per year I’m saving every year for the next 7 years will easily reach that number. If the market tanks and my plans have to shift, I’ll deal with that scenario then. But the plan is, punch out in 2467 days for the last time.
I have an advisor, but they and I are a team; we decide together how the plan unfolds. The MOST important point of the relationship is that my spouse knows and trusts this advisor. My recommendation would be that you find a fee-only advisor that you both like and trust. Once one or the other of us calls the Baldwin Brothers 800-number, the entire strategy must change and having even occasional contact with an advisor will help you both.
  #12  
Old Today, 05:57 AM
Babubhat Babubhat is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2,225
Thanks: 307
Thanked 1,915 Times in 868 Posts
Default

Go to fidelity. I closed my vanguard accounts. Fidelity has low fee funds now. Branch in lake sumpter landing. Only downside is money market rate is terrible. Buy SGOV instead. It mimics a money market fund.

They have a cash management account equivalent to interest checking. Free atm withdrawal at any machine.

Forced by employer to use Ameriprise. An insult to your wallet. Fees are a disgrace.
  #13  
Old Today, 06:39 AM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,273
Thanks: 97
Thanked 178 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Try putting all that info into AI, you'll be amazed with the results.

Yes go to Fidelity
__________________
Nova Water filters
  #14  
Old Today, 06:50 AM
paulcallaway paulcallaway is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 40
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Default Investments

I am a long-time Vanguarder and member of the boglehead.org forum. I would suggest posting your complete message on that forum, where I believe that you will get some very professional, well-reasoned advice at no cost.
  #15  
Old Today, 06:58 AM
Nordhagen Nordhagen is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 117
Thanks: 2,538
Thanked 131 Times in 62 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Nordhagen
Default Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyckCabin View Post
I'm currently 50. Planning to retire in 7 years. Been reading and learning and researching a lot and despite my plans, there is one thing that still nags at me. I have Ameriprise managing my funds but the fees gnaw at me mentally, and financially.

I'm seriously considering shifting all my funds to my Fidelity accounts and managing them mostly by myself. That I think I feel comfortable with. It's the tax management that I'm not so comfortable with or at least don't fully understand how to optimize.

I currently have custodial accounts for my boys with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments.

I am thinking of following the Bogglehead method, however I am close to retiring, not 30 years away. I have been maxing out my 401K and maximizing my employer match for years. Maxing out my ROTH and my wife's ROTH for years. Plus putting any extra in a Private Brokerage account (this year) with Fidelity with FSKAX and FTIHX as the investments.

Here is the real math. These are the Ameriprise numbers. My wife and I have $130,776 in Personal Brokerage Accounts (mine is $57,611). We have $276,748 in Trad IRA ($235,226 is mine). We have $46,627 in ROTH ($30,978 is mine). Grand total of around $454,000 today.

On top of that I have $62,000 in the current 401k. She has about $10,000 in her 401k. We make around $200,000 a year (give or take depending on my OT). We owe 72,000 on the house (will be paid off in 7 years).

I max out my 401k to the tune of $32,500 this year. My employer match is around $6,000-$6500 this year. She puts in about $13,000 a year into hers. We need the tax breaks.

I max out her ROTH and my ROTH each year. Then I put as much as I can away in a Personal Brokerage Account and whatnot (about $10,000 this year). Our Emergency Fund is fully funded ($30,000).

Hence why I say "I am" planning to retire in 7 years at 57. She'll still be working. We are each "expected" to contribute 1/2 the monthly expenses to the household (that's always been our arrangement). The rest of each person's money is there's to do with as they please. I've been carrying the health insurance burden for the entirety of our relationship. So I can either be on her plan or go on MNSure which isn't so bad.

I plan to take SS at 62. I don't care about the reduction; I have a life to live. My estimated SS check at 62 will be around $2900+ based on corrected calculations including me making minimum of 100K for the next 7 years.

We will be selling the FL house and moving back to MN where taxes will be much cheaper, and cost of living will be cheaper, and quality of life will be drastically better. The proceeds from the sale of the house here will pay cash for the MN house.

So, that brings us back to the original question of transferring all our assets out of Ameriprise to Fidelity. Or leave them as is and simply put all future savings into Fidelity. Or trial the Fidelity thing for a year and see how it goes before moving Ameriprise funds.

Is managing all that by yourself feasible?
You know they like to riot in Minnesota, don’t you?
Reply

Tags
advice, broker


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.