Talk of The Villages Florida - Rentals, Entertainment & More
Talk of The Villages Florida - Rentals, Entertainment & More
|
#1
|
||
|
||
|
We lost our Papillion last December and are now wanting to get another dog, but 2 dogs instead of just one. I am looking for a bonded pair. Short hair 25 lbs or less. We have narrowed it down to Boston terrier, Jack Russel, or a rat terrier. We have never had any of these types. I have owned just mutts, shelties, or papillions. Any advice? My son and his family have a Boston and that is a fun dog to have around. Oh, I want a dog that travels. My first Papillion when the suitcase came out he would start running around the house he was so excited.
|
|
|
|
#2
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
|
|
#3
|
||
|
||
|
Good luck. I had to put our beloved Beau down on August 24, 2026. His symptoms sounded very much like cancer and he was not eating and losing weight because of the loss of appetite. High white cell blood count and low white blood count . He couldn't walk very far either. He was about 14 years old.
I am keeping my eye out for another dog to bring back the canine related joy in my life. Beau was a mostly white Chihuahua Terrier mix who thought he was all pit bull. |
|
#4
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
Car and RV travel. We bought our first RV so we could take our dog with us |
|
#6
|
||
|
||
|
Nice, wish we had an RV when traveling with our dog. Most pet friendly hotels aren’t very good. Sometimes we find a decent pet friendly Best Western or La Quinta, but they have added pet surcharges that are about what we used to pay for the hotel room 10 years ago.
|
|
#7
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
|
|
#8
|
||
|
||
|
Very cute. I knew a Chihuahua/Dachshund mix named Cody who was basically happiest running at full speed or zonked out on a lap.
|
|
#9
|
||
|
||
|
I agree with your thinking about getting two dogs, they will benefit from interacting with each other. Be aware you'll be getting twice the vet bills which are whoppers these days. I travel 1,200 miles between homes and have a Honda Odyssey which drives beautifully & is really nice for transporting pets, I usually drive straight thru - the car is large enough to take a nap in. I have favorite stops along the way like Buc-ees which have very nice accommodations for pets to walk/do their business. I do stay overnight occasionally but its a hassle and the dogs are restless at the hotels with things like people walking by the room door or cars pulling into the parking lot. I wanted a good traveler too but one of my dogs gets car/motion sick, thankfully there is a prescription med to help. Have you considered rescue? IMO they make the best pets & there are lots of shelters/adoptable pets around TV.
|
|
#10
|
||
|
||
|
Chug is a cute pooch. ❤️
__________________
I've got a pool. I've got a pond. Pond's good for you... |
|
#11
|
||
|
||
|
Quote:
|
|
#12
|
||
|
||
|
I wholeheartedly recommend adopting 2 beagles . . . There are still 16 left at Big Dog Rescue Ranch in South Palm Beach. These wonderful dogs were freed from a breeding/testing lab in Wisconsin. In July we drove the 3 hours down and came back with a 1 year old female, Daisy. After about 3 weeks we went back and adopted a 5 month old Duke to be her brother. They are so great together!
We make the 6 hour drive back and forth from Georgia every month and they are wonderful in the car - no problems at all! The picture was taken at Sawgrass. |
|
#13
|
||
|
||
|
You also need to think about your age. Will you be able to take care of TWO dogs in 10-15 years? Depending on your age, who will take care of dogs if you pass and old dogs still here? Before jumping into getting replacement dog, why don’t you try being a foster dog parent or even be the person who helps socialize future seeing eye dogs? Maybe a pet sitter?
|
|
#15
|
||
|
||
|
As a former terrier owner all I can say is...they are the best. But be aware they are hunters, very independent, and not companion dogs like Cavalier King Charles spaniels or ****zus or others. Not to say they won't sit on your lap and follow commands. But terriers do things on their own terms.
|
| Reply |
|
|
|