Forever Young!

Old 02-15-2024, 08:26 AM

Between 466 and 466A
Old 02-15-2024, 08:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF RETIRED View Post
Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.
This part of Florida, and The Villages, is nothing like it was in the early 2000s. Before you think you want to move here, come during the height of snowbird season. Like now.

I'm guessing a single younger man, has a substantial size dog, so it will be safe outside in a courtyard. If I'm wrong (it happens) and you have a little dog, it is never safe outside alone....

To me the nicest parts are near 466A. The Trailwinds shopping area has pretty much everything I need in life. Lowes, Publix, Aldi, UPS store, Spectrum, Verizon, an emergency room and fast food. Soon a Target, a Home Depot, a Panda Express and a CVS will open there.

The new areas down south are beautiful, but quite a drive still for necessities.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 441 corridor up north, but the areas up north are the most beautiful to me because of the trees. Down south they razed everything, up north they didn't.

Be prepared for people to be grumpy about your dog..... me, I prefer dogs to people.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:44 AM

Thank you for your service. Don't forget there is the largest American Legion Post just east of The Villages, at CR466 & Rolling Acres Rd. You'll want to join there, or transfer if your already a Legionairre. Many activities every evening, and delicious, affordable meals.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:49 AM

As others are saying visiting here would be a good idea before buying. I rented an Airbnb for two months while I looked around and got familiar with the place.

I am 58 (not retired) and ended up buying in the very north end, about a mile south of 42. I like it much better up here because there's less traffic and mayhem. It's more like a quiet neighborhood. It's also close to everything on 441. The closer you live to the town centers and rec centers the noisier and busier it gets. It all depends on what you want.

I heard the age demographic up here might be a little older but I don't really notice it and at my age, everyone's old, lol. The houses up here are older too. Mine was built in 2002. As far as I'm concerned that's not really old. My previous house up north was built in 1986 and the one before that 1917.

I can't speak to owning a dog because I am pet-less and prefer it that way but practically everyone else up here has dogs.

Last edited by Switter; 02-15-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
Many youngsters, like yourself, usually prefer southern newer area.
Rent for a month or so in all areas, see what takes your fancy.
If you decide near us, "Keep off my Grass!"
So friendly.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:52 AM

If you decide to locate near a town square, don’t worry about the music. It adds joy to your evening and is over by 9:00.
Everyone loves their location…so you’ll get lots of different opinions. IMHO locating betweeen 466 and 466A is the sweet spot. It’s a golf cart ride to all three town squares. Tom’s of golf courses, country clubs, pools and rec centers. A lot of new shopping is being added near Powell Rd. The preowned homes are selling to younger folks, so there are people of all ages in every neighborhood.
Two thoughts
When you have some idea what you want, you will need two realtors. One to show you Villages listing and a MLS Agent for their listings. They don’t cross over.
Watch out for the “sense of urgency” realtors create. If it’s a preowned, there is some legitimacy here because they are more limited in number.
If it’s a new home, you do have more time. The Villages have been selling “new homes” for 30 years. They always try to pressure you that this is the greatest house at the best price in the greatest location. It will be snapped up by someone else, if you don’t act right now. The truth is they will be selling new homes for 20 more years.
Each neighborhood has its own personality. Some are extremely friendly, others not so much.Once you find a home style that you are interested in, try and figure out the neighborhoods vibe. You can spend some time and walk your dog in that neighborhood. Talk to the other walkers and dog walkers.
Good luck! I’ve been here 15 years. Love it as much as I did on day one.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:07 AM

Some homes have fenced yards. Depending on the size of your dog, courtyard villas, verandas have higher wall/privacy fences. Newer patio villas in the southern section have low plastic picket fences that might keep a small dog contained. (Ours was older and not interested in escaping. But it wouldn't have taken much effort).
Best to rent for a while and see which area appeals to you. The place is SO huge, and still growing. Also, ignore all the negative dog comments here. There are thousands of dog-lovers in TV. Best of luck!
Old 02-15-2024, 09:14 AM

There are young Villagers everywhere so don't pay any attention to age. If you buy a home in an unincorporated area, one not part of another city, you will only pay property tax to the County. Paying property tax to the County and a City can almost double your tax bill. A real estate agent should tell you if the hone you're looking at is within a cities limits, example, Wildwood, Fruitland Park, Leesburg, Lady Lake. That is something that cam add thousands to your tax bill and you are getting nothing in return. Also, since you have a dog, consider a home with a fenced in back yard. I moved here 21 years ago at age 46 and still live it here as I'm sure you will too. Welcome.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:14 AM

Take dart, throw it at a map of the Villages and wherever it lands will be great. Everyone claims there area is the best and they are correct. Don’t let the negative Naboo’s influence you, it’s great here.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF RETIRED View Post
Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.

I just moved here a year ago. I have a dog which I walk daily. I was also Air Force. You need to decide your priority, location or house. You can fix a house but you can't fix a location. My priority was to be near walking trails. North Villages do not have walking trails, maybe just a few. South has fewer golf courses. I do not have fenced yard. Some houses have fenced yards. Can't put up a fence if one isn't there already. Near golf courses, or near other activities?
Old 02-15-2024, 09:19 AM

Dogs are fine in The Villages. If it were me just starting out... I would try to find a neighbourhood near a dog park. Not only does it make it easy each day, but you will likely make friends with folks who have similar interests/schedules. Welcome and best of luck.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:27 AM

Thanks to your post I feel grateful as a 65-year-old youngster. I too am USAF, Federal, and State retired - drawing my SS. Like you, I came here with a dog. A large German Shepherd. Having a large dog was a big reason for opting for a courtyard villa but even then found it was too small for her since we moved off of two acres where she ran free. I felt sad for her being cooped up in the villa and ended up giving her to a veterinarian who lives on a large farm with other German Shepherds. Although there are folks here who own large dogs in the villas, it just wasn't for my "Maggie". I am sad and think of her often but I know I did the right thing. Aim high and take the advice to visit for a month before you decide. Best of luck!
Old 02-15-2024, 09:38 AM

First - Thank you for your service.

Second - I would say definitely check out all the areas, your amenities and your options based on what your interests are, how far you would want to go to something via cart or car. Off season rates are reasonable and may give you more of an opportunity to check things out, just remember that its much busier during in season. Pick up a newspaper on Thursday and look at the villages Recreation insert or look at it online (VCDD Rec News) (recreation and parks publication)
or look at this site for the weekly insert, https://online.flippingbook.com/view/10419946/

Third - look into the property taxes. This can be confusing. If live in the county limits area you pay only county taxes. If you are also in a City limit, example Wildwood or Leesburg, you will pay county and city property tax. The villages and the cites are working out agreements and the cities are annexing count property into city limits to help provide amenities to the growth of the villages.
Lake county is higher rate than Sumter. Check out your various property tax exemptions in the different counties since you are a vet. Example Tax & Exemptions - Sumter County Property Appraiser

Fourth - Look into the deed restrictions, most are similar but they can vary from district to district. Lots of info here Village Community Development Districts

If I think of more I will post it.
Good Luck.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:40 AM

I have a few bits of humble advice: you have time to decide so don’t rush; I was buying in the summer of 2021 when it was absolutely nuts down here. I wanted a courtyard villa because I was attracted to the wonderful back yard privacy it affords and I also have a dog. However, it was impossible to get one - even the old, broken ones were impossible to get. Now is much better for everything everywhere. But - many people said that I could “always buy now and move later, and that people often move 3 times within the villages” etc, etc. so I purchased a small villa that I didn’t really want, just to get here. I would not suggest anyone do that, although I pretty much had to, and I am truly happy to be here. I love my neighborhood and my neighbors, so I have decided to stay in this house and make it work. But sometimes I’m sad that I couldn’t get what I wanted to begin with. So take your time deciding on the type of house you want. As far as where you buy, I don’t think the location is as important as the style.
Another thing to consider is new vs established neighborhoods. My experience has been in a brand new neighborhood and it was a lot of fun - everyone was moving in and getting settled at the same time which made most everyone super helpful and friendly with each other - it was amazing. Folks I know who moved into established neighborhoods didn’t meet as many people - not that the neighbors are unfriendly - they just have already established all their friends and routines, etc, and probably won’t go out of their way to get to know new neighbors. But also - having a dog helps because you will see people and they will see you when you’re walking the dog. There are alot of dog owners here so those will likely be your first acquaintances in your neighborhood.
Lastly, I would be sure to check noise from rec centers if you find a home adjacent to one; pickleball is wonderful fun but living within earshot of a court might drive you crazy, you hear the noise all day long.
Good luck to you in your search. You will be very happy to live here I am sure. I’m also 67, retired Navy, retired DoD, and I am sure there are hundreds of others with roughly the same resume. This is a wonderful place for Veterans. If you use the VA for health services you will find the VA clinic here is outstanding, I have had excellent care there. Sometimes have to go to Gainesville for services they can’t handle here which is about an hour and half away. But the service and care up there is just as good. Best wishes to you!
Old 02-15-2024, 09:41 AM
Gold member

I suggest you look between Nancy Lopez and Glenview CC. You'll be a short golf cart ride away from the dog park. You'll be close to stores, restaurants and this is the least crowded area in the winter.

Tags
villages, time, retired, relocate, forever

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.