Should Brooks Koepka be on the Ryder Cup

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Seems to be a money trail from Saudi purchasing merchandise from companies who pay the TV networks for advertising who pay the PGA.

Double Standard for LIV haters???

Yes, there definitely is a double standard. Several large corporations that are major sponsors of PGA TOUR events have significant operations and income from Saudi Arabia. That money goes into the pockets of the PGA TOUR players, but I guess that’s acceptable 🙄
Old 05-23-2023, 03:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

In my opinion, LIV golfers made a choice for big money. I have no problem with that, but I do think many of them have been disingenuous about their rational - shorter season, more family time, etc. IT WAS FOR THE MONEY! If you got generational wealth and want more time off then you shouldn’t expect, or desire to play in non LIV events. Something about having your cake and eating it too! If a baseball player leaves the Dodgers and signs with the Yankees he can’t expect to be selected to play in the National League All Star game.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:51 PM

In a word, NO!
Old 05-23-2023, 03:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
If a baseball player leaves the Dodgers and signs with the Yankees he can’t expect to be selected to play in the National League All Star game.
That is true. But if the US was choosing an international baseball team (like the 2020 Olympics or the World Baseball Classic), the player should be eligible for the USA team.

I assume that Nikola Jokić will be eligible to play for the Serbian basketball team in the Olympics even though he plays in the NBA.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:11 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,913 Times in 3,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
According to this survey, China has a worse human rights record than Saudi Arabia (the lower the number, the better the rating - it is like golf).

Human rights and rule of law index by country, around the world | TheGlobalEconomy.com
How many LIV haters can walk thru their house and have nothing made in China??

How do LIV haters determine their gas is/was not from Saudi??

Old 05-23-2023, 05:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,224 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
A vote?????? Let's keep that in mind if the captain's picks ever become a democracy. And unanimous at that??? The player's "own" the PGA tour????? Let's hope you're not planning on becoming the next PGA commissioner
Jay Monahan isn't doing such a hot job so far and might be gone soon. You never know.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:32 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=JGVillages;2220299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypart View Post
If someone like Justin Thomas, a critic of the LIV lawsuit, says I won't play with Koepka, not likely Johnson will pick Koepka to be on the team.

In that case then Thomas should be dropped, if Koepka can legitimately play
The way Thomas has been playing maybe he shouldn’t be playing…
Old 05-23-2023, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Isn't he still a PGA member??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
No- He is not
According to this article, Brooks has not resigned his PGA of America Membership: Brooks Koepka explains why he left the PGA Tour to join LIV Golf (& per the PGA Rules posted by Rusty, he would still be in the 1 year grace period, even if he forgot to pay this year.)

Of course, Seth Waugh is bigger jerk than Jay Monahan (if that's even possible) ... who knows what he's liable to do.

Brooks Koepka shares awkward encounter with PGA of America CEO Seth Waugh during trophy presentation | Fox News
Old 05-24-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
In my opinion, LIV golfers made a choice for big money. I have no problem with that, but I do think many of them have been disingenuous about their rational - shorter season, more family time, etc. IT WAS FOR THE MONEY! If you got generational wealth and want more time off then you shouldn’t expect, or desire to play in non LIV events. Something about having your cake and eating it too! If a baseball player leaves the Dodgers and signs with the Yankees he can’t expect to be selected to play in the National League All Star game.
On the other hand every LIV hater cites a bunch of bs reasons why it's bad blah blah blah but it's plain to see they are jealous about the money.

ITS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
It was a combination of both. You'l notice that many of the more well known players that went to LIV have either had significant injuries (Brooks Koepka) or are at the tail end of their careers (Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia). Many of the less know players like Kevin Na may have felt that they were never going to be the next Tiger Woods and decided that LIV was better got him and his family.

These guys know that they can make a lot more money while playing fewer tournaments and have more time to spend with their families. In the case of Koepka, it seems that he was looking at possibly not being able to play at the high level that he has played at in the past due to his injuries. He opted to play a tour that pays more money and plays fewer events. He may regret that choice if he is injury free over the next twenty years. Then again, he might chalk up the lack of injuries to playing less golf.

But even if they did go for the money, so what? If someone offered you a job working half the hours for twice the pay, doing the same thing, would you have not taken it? The only reason not to would be if you were concerned about your legacy which many of the tour players have stated as the reason for playing on the PGA Tour.

Evidently, some like Patrick Reid are not worried about their legacy. He and Mickelson were not liked by many of the PGA Tour players and that may have been another reason that some jumped.

Like anything else, there is usually not one simple reason. It's usually a combination of factors. Each of these people that their own personal reasons for going to LIV. And it's none of our business.

if Koepka remains a member of the PGA of America and in the top six in points he's on the team. If were not allowed to play, the PGA of America would open themselves up to a lawsuit.

If he's not in the top six, then the captain has a right to pick him.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Brooks Koepka won the PGA today and finished second in the Masters.

Should he play on the USA Ryder Cup team?
Would hope that there are those pesky thing called rules. It should be the USA's best against Europe's best. Europe would not have this problem as all of the LIV players are past their prime.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,913 Times in 3,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
as all of the LIV players are past their prime.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,315 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
“PGA of America membership is a requirement to be eligible to participate on the U.S. Ryder Cup Team. Under the PGA of America membership rules there are classifications that currently allow LIV Tour members to retain their PGA of America membership status. PGA TOUR members are considered A3 classification. Because the LIV players paid their membership dues before June 30, 2022, they will retain their membership through the end of June 2023 and then through a grace period that runs through the end of June 2024. After that, under our current rules, they may apply for PGA’s Reserve Member classification. A3 members who resigned or are no longer PGA TOUR Members (suspended) are still PGA of America members.”

Therein lies the $$$ hypocrisy. You are out ---------- except.........
Did I call this ? Profit trumps hypocrisy !
Old 08-20-2023, 07:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
With 3 months to go, Brooks is anything but a "lock" to make the Top 6, unless he also wins one of the (2) remaining Opens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I do not know how points are allocated, but if Keopka is currently #2 in Ryder Cup points, how can he drop out of the top 6 if he does not win one of the last two majors? What if Rahm or Roy wins the majors. They are certainly not going to be on the US team.
As predicted.

Brooks Koepka loses out on automatic Ryder Cup berth - ESPN
Old 08-20-2023, 07:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Original question still stands.
Closed Thread

Tags
koepka, ryder, cup, brooks, usa

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.